Falcon#5

What tools to take to the track?

Gday all.

Just wondering what everyone has in their toolkit?

Well, more so what tools you take to the track.

Not sure if I should buy a complete kit along the lines of this?

Work out what I need and buy smaller sets eg, set of hex drivers, nut drivers, turnbuckle wrenches?

Or even buy each tool individually?

The bigger kits seem to have stuff I can't see myself using, and missing other things I'd need.

For example that Integy set has a glow-plug wrench and droop gauge, but doesn't have side cutters or pointy nose pliers.

I like the idea of having everything in the one storage wallet though.

Any thoughts or links I would be very thankful for. :unsure:

Cheers.

if you have a Tamiya car, this is really all you need to disassemble and re-assemble the car

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=74085

However, you might also want a small needle nose pliers, exacto (hobby) knife, and a small cutter.

Things nice to have with you, double side tape, zip ties, velcro, setup gauges, camber gauge, turnbuckle wrench (i just use my needle nose pliers), electronic caliper, and probably more. You can never bring too much that's for sure, but then again, there will be someone on the track that has it as well.

Gday all.

Just wondering what everyone has in their toolkit?

Well, more so what tools you take to the track.

Not sure if I should buy a complete kit along the lines of this?

Work out what I need and buy smaller sets eg, set of hex drivers, nut drivers, turnbuckle wrenches?

Or even buy each tool individually?

The bigger kits seem to have stuff I can't see myself using, and missing other things I'd need.

For example that Integy set has a glow-plug wrench and droop gauge, but doesn't have side cutters or pointy nose pliers.

I like the idea of having everything in the one storage wallet though.

Any thoughts or links I would be very thankful for. :P

Cheers.

That set has too may tools in it, you are not going to use half of them on an electric Tamiya car.

Tools can be either minimal or a whole hauler full!

When I was a teenager the club track was in my village so I went racing on my pushbike with the car, handset and charger in my backpack, and hooked myself up to someone elses 12V battery. The only tools I had were a couple of Phillips screwdrivers and the Tamiya box wrench to make sure things stayed tight during the day.

At my peak I was taking a full toolbox and a holdall full of parts with me just to race one car - it was way over the top!

The minimum you will need are the tools needed to disassemble and adjust the car, just to keep on top of any running repairs or setup changes. Anything beyond that is up to you.

if you have a Tamiya car, this is really all you need to disassemble and re-assemble the car

However, you might also want a small needle nose pliers, exacto (hobby) knife, and a small cutter.

Things nice to have with you, double side tape, zip ties, velcro, setup gauges, camber gauge, turnbuckle wrench (i just use my needle nose pliers), electronic caliper, and probably more. You can never bring too much that's for sure, but then again, there will be someone on the track that has it as well.

Sweet little kit think I will invest in one of them. :P

I have one of those tool kits, and they are dead useful. It's true that you can't bring too much, because when you break some little part that you forgot to bring along you'll definitely regret it. I usually bring enough parts to rebuild my car, the tool kit, lots of misc hardware and a couple of batteries.

TOOLS..

1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 1/16, 3/32 Hudy allen drivers..

Small flat and Phillips screwdriver..

Long nose pliers, small side cutters and Lexan scissors..

Small wire brush.. (handy for cleaning grit from spur gears)

AND, last but not least, a Tamiya BOX WRENCH...

In addition to that I take..

Soldering iron and solder..

Super glue, cable ties, heatshrink..

Sometimes, a droop and camber gauge..

Well I am no racer but when I am out on the trails, I just take a few spare screws (The ones I am most likely to lose), The trusty tamiya box wrench, a small flat head screw driver and a small phillips screw driver. Sometimes a couple of cable ties and sometimes the odd spare but never very much. I always fine I can keep my cars running fine.

Thanks for the replies.

I have heaps of tools already, both at home and at work.

But I want something to have specifically for RC, so I can keep it with the rest of my gear, as I can throw it in the car and not worry that I've left something I need at home or work.

I want to have both metric and A/F, so I have all cars covered. (Present and future cars)

I'm sure other people may have something I need, but I like to have everything myself, as I hate borrowing stuff that I should really have already.

So I'm gathering there is no one kit that will have everything I need, it's something I have to put together myself.

I have a kit already, but it is made up of stuff from home and work, and not very organised. :P

I have to mooch around a box trying to find what I need, and hope it is actually in there!

A good storage system is a must. So tools are at easy reach, and consumables are easy to find.

I'm sure experience will teach me a few things along the way.

Keep posting though, the more opinions I get, the better! :D

Just get one of those Tamiya tool kits and needle-nosed pliers. For basic repairs that is all you will actually need :P

i take everything with me except a soldering iron (my track has a better iron then i do).

there's been too many occasions that i have needed something i left at home, so now it all gets loaded into the car.

my tool box (plano 777) holds most of it. anything else (boxes of parts, tires, etc...) stays in the car unless i need it.

i find that i tend to help alot of new people and kids, they always break and rarely have the tools or the parts to do it.

i like to see everyone have a good time and don't mind helping.

this past saturday for example i was the only guy that had a camber guage.

TOOLS..

1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 1/16, 3/32 Hudy allen drivers..

Small flat and Phillips screwdriver..

Long nose pliers, small side cutters and Lexan scissors..

Small wire brush.. (handy for cleaning grit from spur gears)

AND, last but not least, a Tamiya BOX WRENCH...

In addition to that I take..

Soldering iron and solder..

Super glue, cable ties, heatshrink..

Sometimes, a droop and camber gauge..

+1

I also take a box of spares and screws, washers, spacers, weights, etc. Between friends some one always has the bit you dont and we all keep on racing :-) Oh and some Duck tape, glass tape, and automotive tape (slimier to double sided black foam servo tape)

I find the tools you DON"T have are all ways the ones you will end up needing. Same as parts , it's the ones you don't break most of the time are the ones that stop you .

I like to make sure i have most tools etc , But i have been court out .

I find that this is why most of us have big 1/8 haul bags ( as 1/10 to small ) full . As at one point you have needed some thing & added it & you just keep taking more & more .

I would say buy for the future , get the biggest with the most you will use . I'm sure you will use it at some stage , As i have done & if not some one else will use it :)

Then again if in doubt :huh: get the big hammer out :lol: That will fix it :(