Hullstorage

Urgent Help! Dark Impark Rear Diff Gear

Hi all,

DARK IMPACT CHASSIS DF-03

this is doing my head in

I am new to building cars and have only ever completed 1 other before.

here is my problem:

ON THE INSTRUCTIONS PART 2 I CANNOT GET PART NUMBER MB7 SMALL NUT TO MARRY UP WITH MA7 SCREW THROUGH THE GEAR AS IT SEEMS TO BE TO SMALL

ON THE DIAGRAM THERE IS 3 STAGES AND I AM AT STAGE 3

I HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED ALL THE PARTS AND CANNOT GET IT TO SCREW TOGETHER

IT SEEMS IT IS THE SPRING MK9 AS IF I LEAVE IT OUT THEY MEET UP BUT WHEN I PUT THE SPRING BACK IN PLACE THE D5 PART WITH THE MB7 NUT INSIDE OF IT DOES NOT GO DOWN MJ4 FAR ENOUGH FOR THE NUT AND SCREW TO MEET

AM I MISSING SOMETHING

THANKS

SIMON

on

First make sure you are using the correct diff halves MJ3 (shorter) and MJ4 (longer)

Check to see if the D5 part can slide all the way down the diff half (MJ4), e.g. perhaps it's getting stick somewhere

It looks it's missing a step, from what I remember from the TRF and other Tamiya cars I've built, you are suppose to give the spring (MK9) a squeeze with a piler before using it.

In any case, perhaps you just need to use another driver to help you push the diff halves together while you screw it together.

First make sure you are using the correct diff halves MJ3 (shorter) and MJ4 (longer)

Check to see if the D5 part can slide all the way down the diff half (MJ4), e.g. perhaps it's getting stick somewhere

It looks it's missing a step, from what I remember from the TRF and other Tamiya cars I've built, you are suppose to give the spring (MK9) a squeeze with a piler before using it.

In any case, perhaps you just need to use another driver to help you push the diff halves together while you screw it together.

i have checked and double checked all are the correct parts.

the problem is even without the screw it would only just meet with the nut

it also does not mention anything about screwing these together at this part ?? which seems strange

Part 2 Step 3 tells you to insert the diff screw MA7 from the right diff halve (MJ3) through a thrust bearing MR5 into the diff assembly. From there, the diff screw should be within reach of the diff nut assembly (D5 + MB7)

Now you may need help this process by pushing down the diff nut assembly so the diff screw can reach it. Then tighten it. I like to use locktight for mine so it does not get loose. So I would apply from lock tight to the diff screw.

To tighten, tighten it up to a point where you can't tighten it. Then back it about 0.25 of a turn. This part is the hard part as it's really difficult to tell people how to tighten a diff.

Sorry if I can't be much of a help

Part 2 Step 3 tells you to insert the diff screw MA7 from the right diff halve (MJ3) through a thrust bearing MR5 into the diff assembly. From there, the diff screw should be within reach of the diff nut assembly (D5 + MB7)

Now you may need help this process by pushing down the diff nut assembly so the diff screw can reach it. Then tighten it. I like to use locktight for mine so it does not get loose. So I would apply from lock tight to the diff screw.

To tighten, tighten it up to a point where you can't tighten it. Then back it about 0.25 of a turn. This part is the hard part as it's really difficult to tell people how to tighten a diff.

Sorry if I can't be much of a help

thanks all, will give it another go!

but how the badword do you push it together with the allen key provided

thanks all, will give it another go!

but how the badword do you push it together with the allen key provided

use the dog bone :huh:

THANKS EVERYBODY, FINALLY GOT IT DONE

I PUT A FLAT OBJECT AT ONE END AND PUSHED DOWN AS HARD AS I COULD WHILST SCREWING WITH ALLEN KEY AT THE SAME TIME!

MANY THANKS

MORE QUESTIONS TO FOLLOW NO DOUBT