WW-nut

*** Dissatisfied with Tamiya petition ***

Dissatisfied with Tamiya poll  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Actually, I am surprised that Tamiya Inc. has allowed TC do what it has been doing for so many years as the manuals and decals all belong to Tamiya Inc. Just because we are fans of Tamiya does not give us the automatic right to copy the manuals and decals with the funds going to the club instead to Tamiya Inc. We have grown to the point the Tamiya Inc. has to take action. I can understand if TC has only a few members and some how keep the downloads of the manuals and decals very low key, Tamiya Inc. may not raise the issue, but with "30K" plus members, Tamiya Inc. has not choice but to take action. Is the principle not the money involve. The only way is to demonstrate with solid numbers and facts that down loading of manuals and decals actually helps Tamiya Inc. Don't worr, Tamiya Inc. does consider TC members' comments / feedbacks / views / suggestions etc.. We are competing with Tamiya's web site. Does TC have a link directly to Tamiya.com? Think of the staffs working for Tamiya Inc., which TC has more hits than theirs. Tamiya Inc. has the law behind it and legal depart vs TC only its few paying members and some RC shops sponsors. :)

+1

The way I see it.. If Tamiya is going to take away the Build Manual downloads from TC, then they need to make them available on their primary Tamiya.com website... I have no problem going to Tamiya directly to access manuals etc, but when they take away vintage build manuals that are no longer available anywhere else, it just doesn't sit right with me..

The same rule should apply to decals.. If Tamiya discontinues production of certain decal sheets, then we should be allowed to reproduce them for our fellow Tamiya fans.. If the kit is still in production, then we should not be making our own version of those decals.. It all seems fair..

+1

The way I see it.. If Tamiya is going to take away the Build Manual downloads from TC, then they need to make them available on their primary Tamiya.com website... I have no problem going to Tamiya directly to access manuals etc, but when they take away vintage build manuals that are no longer available anywhere else, it just doesn't sit right with me..

The same rule should apply to decals.. If Tamiya discontinues production of certain decal sheets, then we should be allowed to reproduce them for our fellow Tamiya fans.. If the kit is still in production, then we should not be making our own version of those decals.. It all seems fair..

EXACTLY!!!! its that simple! Its not that we want to circumvent Tamiya to get these documents, its that we want them period! If you dont supply them, we will find them!

Stupid commercial decision that will cause dislike of the brand. Like Sony LOL. And as if Tamya is ever going to reproduce the old Scorcher decals of 1979 complete with original real sponsors... my eye...

I'm going to write an e-mail to Tamiya JAPAN about this :)

ARG

+1, with a caveat.

I am of the opinion that copyright law needs to be drastically modified, terms shortened, "fair use" relaxed, etc. Anything obsolete or out-of-print should enter the public domain as far as I'm concerned; the company either cares about it and continues official support, or it abandons it and allows hobbyists and collectors to freely use things for their own purposes (not-for-profit). Tamiya can, at any time, voluntarily end copyright on any of their material and offer it in the public domain; I think that this is the right course of action for anything they don't plan on ever reissuing, as long as doing so wouldn't violate someone else's copyright or trademark (such as "real" sponsor decals).

But the fact is that this is not the case. Copyright law is what it is, and reproducing copyrighted materials without permission is illegal, and they have every right to stop people from doing it.

However, this does not mean you have to make it easy on them. Please, please, PLEASE don't post links to other sources for manuals and decals in a thread complaining about the lack of availability. All you're doing is showing Tamiya's lawyers who should get the next cease-and-desist letter. Keep it under the radar.

Well i'm not going to argue withe legitimacy of Tamiya's action (i spent plenty of time in the past running websites and i know how anal companies are about their logo's, fonts and images).

If Tamiya have grounds to believe people are profiteering from the availability of materials then so be it, and there are plenty of manuals on ebay to suggest they didn't all appear from dusty garages and lofts. However they should also consider that people downloaded those manuals for their own purposes, to restore/repair models using newly bought Tamiya spares. I'd imagine there will be a lot less cars being rescued and a lot less spares being bought in the long run if older manuals don't reappear.

I'm torn.

On one hand I can empathise with them going after the ebay sellers, so long as they (Tamiya) are operating within the law. On the other hand if they go all out attack on Tamiyaclub too and without a hint of compromise then they are well out of order and an organised protest should be mounted.

IMO the manuals should be reinstated & the likes of tamiyoman allowed to sell decals exclusively within this club, so long as all Tamiya logos are removed....unless of course plans are underway for the genuine articles to be purchased from Tamiya themselves.

The fact that the club is in apparant dialogue with the company gives me hope of a compromise being found. Fingers crossed.

Until then.... +1/2. :)

Don't forget copyright only lasts for 50 years. In 2029 you'll be able to produce and sell those Scorcher stickers and manuals, by 2061 even the new stuff will be out of copyright :)

+1

Unless they intend to re-release EVERYTHING at reasonable prices, which I doubt.

I just read this thread and if this is true I must say that a big part of my Tamiya soul just died. I think it´s SO petty of "Mr T" to act this way <_<

At least give us the chance of buying the stuff !!

What's the point, Tamiya don't monitor TC or any other forums!!!!!!!!!!

Had to of done to ask to remove the stuff , im sure they didn't guess B)