WW-nut

*** Dissatisfied with Tamiya petition ***

Dissatisfied with Tamiya poll  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think again.

Are people here seriously not going to buy a Tamiya product ever again over this mountain out of a molehill issue? Sounds good to me, prices on ebay might start coming down :lol:

Are people here seriously not going to buy a Tamiya product
Yes I am more than happy to spend my money with other manufacturers and on other hobbies.
ever again
Until a solution is found.
over this mountain out of a molehill issue?
In your opinion and please don't belittle the opinion of others.
Sounds good to me, prices on ebay might start coming down :lol:
I susspect not for good quality decals.

In your opinion and please don't belittle the opinion of others.

Don't get me wrong I'm not siding with Tamiya over this, although I think people were on very, very thin ice over both the issue of the reproducing the decals (in fact especially that) and reproducing the manuals for profitable gain. But I do think there's a fair degree of over reaction going on. Having downloaded and used manuals from here to restore cars I can definitely vouch for how useful they were. But TC was in danger of treading on the toes of a huge corporate giant with, as it turns out, quite a ruthless copyright legal department. This sort of thing happens I'm afraid and none of it surprises me. Its annoying but boycotting the company is going to achieve exactly nothing other than bring you self satisfaction which is achieved in turn at the cost of you enjoying the hobby.

Methinks its better to write to Tamiya and try and sort out a compromise. Try and get them to put up all the manuals on one of their own websites.

Its annoying but boycotting the company is going to achieve exactly nothing other than bring you self satisfaction which is achieved in turn at the cost of you enjoying the hobby.
I have a feeling that if enough people choose to take this course of action Tamiya will take note. I have more Associated and Losis than I have Tamiya's, boycotting Tamiya will little impact on my enjoyment of this particular hobby.
Methinks its better to write to Tamiya and try and sort out a compromise.
And I'm pleased there are people such as yourself to adopts this option, there's nothing like a varied assault.

What's the deal with Tamiya stopping eBay sellers anyway? eBay is currently awash with repro decals at very cheap prices. It doesn't look like sellers are going to be bullied by Tamiya into stopping selling them.

This is the kind of statement "I" can't understand

example: clodbuster body,take the chevy emblem off the grill and pump them out like popcorn?

The grille design for the original Chevy was probably covered by a design patent (that may or may not still be current). The bowtie is different, that is a trademark for Chevrolet. Tamiya would definitely have to pay Chevrolet a licensing fee to use the bowtie.

they're doing it why can't I.

You can, if you get the appropriate permission from the copyright and trademark holders.

Tamiya would most definitely have to seek permission, as they are a big company with lots of money, and a prime target for a damages lawsuit if they don't do business with proper legal advice.

I'll call my decals aftermarket cause they're thicker and stronger.

To use a certain Tamiya quote - Go for it.

Everything they make just about is a copy.

vanessa lunch box=dodge van

blackfoot III=ford stepside

even therough rider was copied

from someone else's design.

That's the whole point of a scale model company isn't it?

The difference here is that Tamiya would definitely seek a license to reproduce the designs where they are still covered by a design patent, and would be paying big bucks to use the trademarks. You see that 'official VW' on the Sand Scorcher re-re and 'official Ferrari' products on all Tamiya's Ferrari kit boxes? That would be one of the conditions of licensing those car designs and the trademark.

What's the deal with Tamiya stopping eBay sellers anyway? eBay is currently awash with repro decals at very cheap prices. It doesn't look like sellers are going to be bullied by Tamiya into stopping selling them.

eBay has already had a few trademark holders attempt to sue them (and some have succeeded) for allowing counterfeit goods to be sold on their site. So eBay aren't going to take the risk of an expensive legal fight, and would pull the auctions if they knew about them. Personally, I think the trademark holders should be going after the individuals selling the counterfeit items, but eBay has more money, and are in the USA (often the dodgy sellers are overseas where it would be difficult to bring action), so there is more money to potentially be made by suing eBay, and more effective at removing the infringing items from sale.

- James

The only guys left on eBay selling reproduction decals are scammers and this one guy that outputs total rubbish from the far east.

Be careful now.

there still out there just not on ebay or tamiyaclub. :lol:

skip

One thing occurred to me yesterday.

No more repro decals = no more boring boxart resto paint jobs.

Woohooooo!!!!

The only guys left on eBay selling reproduction decals are scammers and this one guy that outputs total rubbish from the far east.

Be careful now.

Do you mean the decals are total rubbish made in the far East but being sold here in the UK by UK sellers?

So eBay aren't going to take the risk of an expensive legal fight, and would pull the auctions if they knew about them.

- James

You do wonder in the long run just how strict Tamiya will be policing ebay. Having made this move and doing their bit to frighten everyone I wonder if lots of repro stuff slowly drips its way back into auctions. It'll be a lot of hassle for them to police continuously.

For me, and backed up by definitions from both Websters and OED, it means re-building a model (or whatever) from original parts.

Please can you post the link to the definition of "restoration" or "former state" that includes the statement "original parts only" or equivalent, I am happy to stand corrected.

Interesting debate on the Dissatisfied with Tamiya thread... but anyways now I'm wondering what will happen to the showroom definitions, are some of my restored cars in the correct location... I think we might need "Restored, may contain traces of rere" B)

James