Sign in to follow this  
amica

Tamiya Hornet Problem.

Hi, Ive got a re-release Hornet with a frustrating problem. When I try to run the car I can hear the motor just spinning and the car hardly moves. At first it sounded like the pinion gear on the motor spindle was just spinning freely. So I took out the motor expecting to just have to tighten it but there wasnt a problem with it. I then suspected that the pinion gear wasnt at the right distance on the spindle but ive measured and remeasured I came to the conclusion it wasnt that either, The only other thing I can think of is that the pinion gear isnt touching the spur gear on the gearbox. So it looks like Im going to have to do a strip down of the gearbox :)

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any thoughts as to what it might be?

Hi, Ive got a re-release Hornet with a frustrating problem. When I try to run the car I can hear the motor just spinning and the car hardly moves. At first it sounded like the pinion gear on the motor spindle was just spinning freely. So I took out the motor expecting to just have to tighten it but there wasnt a problem with it. I then suspected that the pinion gear wasnt at the right distance on the spindle but ive measured and remeasured I came to the conclusion it wasnt that either, The only other thing I can think of is that the pinion gear isnt touching the spur gear on the gearbox. So it looks like Im going to have to do a strip down of the gearbox :)

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any thoughts as to what it might be?

I had a similar problem with my TA01 when I tried to put a smaller pinion, in the end I had to put the original size back on and have ordered a new engine mount. Mine was split so it may have been what caused the problem.

The Hornet gearbox is quite a simple design. If you've checked the pinion on the motor. Then it sounds like something inside. The only think that can be easy to forget is the small metal rod that goes between the diff.

Have you remembered to put bearings in the counter gear ? For the time it will take i'd strip it down, i'd do exactly that. However before you attach back to chassis fit motor and try it 'off car'

Thanks for the replies, Ill strip down the gearbox and take a look.

Is one of the rear wheel nuts loose? It can cause exactly this problem. Check to see that the drive pin is still inside the "hub" too, if it fell out you won't get anything but spinning noises.

Don't put the motor plate on , the plastic gear cover one . You know the one that the screws go through on the opposite of the motor .

Just put the screws in & mount the motor , As then you can see the pinion mesh the gear etc .

So simple to do & common i would have through .

Then you can see that is wrong & sort it out , if gears don't mesh you know etc .

Have you run the car at all, or have you just built it..?

In addition to what the others have suggested..

I seem to remember (its been 20 years since I built a Hornet) that there is a brass spacer that goes inside the gearbox on one of the axles to give clearance for the spur gear.. If the spacer is missing the diff gears will separate, and there will be no drive..

Cheers

I had a similar problem with my TA01 when I tried to put a smaller pinion, in the end I had to put the original size back on and have ordered a new engine mount. Mine was split so it may have been what caused the problem.

The problem was cured by replacing the plastic engine mount with a metal. Not sure if this would be of any use to you but it is just an idea.

Have you run the car at all, or have you just built it..?

In addition to what the others have suggested..

I seem to remember (its been 20 years since I built a Hornet) that there is a brass spacer that goes inside the gearbox on one of the axles to give clearance for the spur gear.. If the spacer is missing the diff gears will separate, and there will be no drive..

Cheers

It hasnt just been built, it has ran fine before. Ill take a look and look at some of the suggestions posted here.

Just had another look and have fixed it. The person who gave me the solution was...............Tailiesin :) I checked the wheel nuts and they were lose Doh! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Just had another look and have fixed it. The person who gave me the solution was...............Tailiesin :) I checked the wheel nuts and they were lose Doh! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Woot! King for a day. :P

Glad it was the cheap and easy fix so you can get back to bashing. Have fun.

Yeah , I recently bought a new hornet and The gearbox were bit rough at first,

Strip down the gear box and inspect the main gear and drive shafts make sure that all the cogs are in the right place,

and that there meshing correctly, and all the bearing,s are installed ok.

grease them up to,

Dan.

Hi, Ive got a re-release Hornet with a frustrating problem. When I try to run the car I can hear the motor just spinning and the car hardly moves. At first it sounded like the pinion gear on the motor spindle was just spinning freely. So I took out the motor expecting to just have to tighten it but there wasnt a problem with it. I then suspected that the pinion gear wasnt at the right distance on the spindle but ive measured and remeasured I came to the conclusion it wasnt that either, The only other thing I can think of is that the pinion gear isnt touching the spur gear on the gearbox. So it looks like Im going to have to do a strip down of the gearbox <_<

You might be missing a PART No: (BD3) spacer of the right hand drive shaft it looks like a small silver tube about 4mm wide, just slide it down the right hand axle, and this should solve your problems,

Dan,

post-37520-1311553707_thumb.jpg

Hi, Ive got a re-release Hornet with a frustrating problem. When I try to run the car I can hear the motor just spinning and the car hardly moves. At first it sounded like the pinion gear on the motor spindle was just spinning freely. So I took out the motor expecting to just have to tighten it but there wasnt a problem with it. I then suspected that the pinion gear wasnt at the right distance on the spindle but ive measured and remeasured I came to the conclusion it wasnt that either, The only other thing I can think of is that the pinion gear isnt touching the spur gear on the gearbox. So it looks like Im going to have to do a strip down of the gearbox <_<

You might be missing a PART No: (BD3) spacer of the right hand drive shaft it looks like a small silver tube about 4mm wide, just slide it down the right hand axle, and this should solve your problems,

Dan,

post-37520-1311554034_thumb.jpg

fraggle20, did you read the thread at all? It would appear not because....

Just had another look and have fixed it. The person who gave me the solution was...............Tailiesin <_< I checked the wheel nuts and they were lose Doh! Thanks again for your suggestions.

WOW <_<