RcSlinky

Sport tuned motor

Hi,

I have a Tamiya sprt tuned motor that I've put on my Rising storm with a metal motor mount. Can anyone tell me how many turns sport tuned motors have, and if it is set up on the motor mount in the same position as the regular 540 motor?

Also if anyone is kind enough can they please explain the 'turns' on a motor!

Thanks, Tristan

Edited by RcSlinky

This has been asked many times :)

Search for "+sport +tuned +turns"

Concensus is 23 or 27 turns, depending on where you got it from.

The turns is the number of times the wire inside is wound around the rotor. The lower the number of turns the faster (in broad terms) the motor is.

Mounting is exactly the same as stock.

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll look up the sport tuned motor turns. I take it Tamiya have made two different sport tuned motors? I have looked on the box but can't see how many turns mine is

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll look up the sport tuned motor turns. I take it Tamiya have made two different sport tuned motors? I have looked on the box but can't see how many turns mine is

53068 (7437012)

RS-540 Sport-Tuned

Usable voltage: 6 - 8,4V

Torque at best efficiency: 350g-cm

R.P.M. at best efficiency:18.300rpm (7,2V)

Current drain at best efficiency: 12A (7,2V)

Best efficiency: 74% (7,2V)

Turns: 27 single - 0,65mm (USA/Asia)

Turns: 23 single - 0,8mm (Europe)

Source: http://www.zaonce.com/stuff/motors/motors.htm

The two different versions of the sport tuned motor was probarly made out from a different piece of hardware since they also has a different length of the shaft. If you havent notice, the motor dispayed on the box still shows the long shaft version (23t?) http://www.toyking.c...rt/53068htm.jpg while the motor "nowadays"(=since the last 15-20 years?) comes with a short shaft.

So i think the 23t Europe and 27t USA/Asia is a myth. 23t version was probarly just the old one and had no timing set, and was later replaced with the 27 which has a timing set. Here's some data for the two different versions http://www.rct.jp/co...tor/lab004.html

This has been asked many times :D

Search for "+sport +tuned +turns"

Concensus is 23 or 27 turns, depending on where you got it from.

The turns is the number of times the wire inside is wound around the rotor. The lower the number of turns the faster (in broad terms) the motor is.

Mounting is exactly the same as stock.

to add to this- also should say that depending on the "Turns" of wire there usually is a different gauge of wire to handle the higher power.. (thicker the lower turns, thinner the higher the turns), and also stronger magnets

And most of the lower turn motors have internal cool fans as well (the ARRMA 15t motor does- $14.95US)

honestly if you're just a basher (not a racer) you won't need a motor with less than 23T - especially in on road cars- I had a TT01 with the above 15T/speed tuned gear set and it was WAY to fast

i will add, the sport tuned also uses a softer brush and firmer spring on the positive , hence it has a much shorter life than a chrome can motor. ;)

you can search on E-bay for a duratrax photon speed 2 motor they are like $11.00 or so and are 20 turn motors that are much faster than the stock 540 kit motors... as i always say it's cheap speed!