Sign in to follow this  
lawdog

M-04L Beetle project

Well, this past weekend I decided to convert my M-04L General Lee project back to the original Beetle, as intended by Tamiya. Partly for fun and partly to see how differently the chassis handled with better proportions (one 14mm spacer instead of 5). I had painted the body a while back in anticipation of the switch. This was only my second paint job, so I'm really happy with how it came out (I learned a lot the hard way on the first). First pics are stock wheels/tires, then with HPI Vintage 5-spokes, 26mm up front, 31mm in rear. I like the look/stance this gives the kit, and the added traction in the rear is helpful with the brushless setup on the car. Not surprisingly, the car handles much better in this form than stretched. I think my next iteration may be the Alpine A110 rally body... :)

post-37196-1308591959_thumb.jpg

post-37196-1308591968_thumb.jpg

post-37196-1308591974_thumb.jpg

post-37196-1308591987_thumb.jpg

post-37196-1308591994_thumb.jpg

post-37196-1308592000_thumb.jpg

Nice looking paint job.

I took my M03 RWD conversion out for the first time, and it hauls. I needs alot more front bite :) , or I need to work on driving style.

Nice looking paint job.

I took my M03 RWD conversion out for the first time, and it hauls. I needs alot more front bite :) , or I need to work on driving style.

The RWDs are definitely different to drive...lots of push-understeer, and then harsh results when you come off the throttle and/or brake. It has taken me a while to get used to it, but I've gotten to where I can pretty much handle it without too many surprises now. Going back to 4WD from it so forgiving.