mickmouse

Rough Rider Bargain Find

Hi all, been registered on here for a while, I'm a bit of a part time Tamiya modeler, not as committed as some of you lot on here. I restored a Mudblaster a couple of years back & still use it occasionally (with the Lexan shell on) with my Son's re-release, Hornet & grasshopper.

Anyhow I was walking around a local steam rally, when a tatty RC off roader, caught my eye, in the traders stalls. I picked it up & the guy selling it said "all it needs is a battery, it's a good quality one, metal parts." I agreed whilst trying to conceal my excitement with what it was. I then paused a while, trying not to be too eager and asked if it had the controller with it, "yea mate" was the reply (Acoms APP-227)

The price FIFTEEN POUNDS!! Yep £15.00, I proberly could of offered him a £10, but not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I handed him the folded notes all 2 of them. :)

I apologize if I come across to be gloating over the bargain, but I had to share this story with you lot as I know you would appreciate the story & to offer hope, all is not lost on evilbay!

Most things are there, apart from the roof & driver, arial & rubber switch boot, even the tyres should be alright with some silcone spray on them. There's a little corosion on the screws & some oxidisation on the aluminuim, the paint work is rubbish but the body is in good condition for the year.

As Tamiya have re-released the Rough Rider I take it most of the parts are interchangeable, Especially the roof driver & spot lights?

I intend to get the old girl looking good enough to display in the house with my Mudblaster & still use. So a rebuild will be in order for the Autumn I think, I will probably buy another body kit for it.

I don't know too much about these SRB's do they have a diff? As my ones not working. B)

I can't believe my luck in finding this, I have always loved the SRB's & could never justify buying one at the price they command, to many other hobbies & kids. :)

Pics:

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

Looks like a mega buy there . It has the vintage black bumper on it too .These didn't have diffs originally but you can buy one for it now as Tamiya released one with the buggy champ re-re .An easy restore for you by the looks of it - have fun :)

Nice story and nice find, now please tell me this wasn't in Bristol :)

Just outside, Berkley Steam Rally. It's just being at the right place at the right time, how many steam rally enthusiasts are into RC cars?

Just outside, Berkley Steam Rally. It's just being at the right place at the right time, how many steam rally enthusiasts are into RC cars?

I think you'd be surprised. Folks who are into one thing with a motor, no matter what the power source, usually have peripheral hobbies involving other things with motors.

Great find, and good job not letting on you knew what it was.

right, nothing beats letting of a little steam, either driving a srb or....

DSC00538.jpg

:)

btw excellent catch.

w00t , what a bargin .... normaly its stories of people buying a car only to find its a knacked out pile that is only good for 1 or 2 pieces ..

What a find, great job and price.

Looking forward to seeing the updates in the Winter. Christmas came very early for you :)

GING

Thanks for the advise & link about the different mk's, upon closer inspection it looks as if it's a mk1. I didn't realize they released them before. At lest there's loads of parts you can buy, I love the ally wheels that I've seen, this could be a money pit though. :)