Sign in to follow this  
Simond2011

Newbie (hello)

Hello Tamiya club members,

Ihave just joined the club and thought i would just do a small hello post.

I had many tamiya cars years and years ago, and up to latley they have been gathering dust in the shed. Over the last three weeks i have rebuilt my old Chevy s10 and tweaked it with a manta Ray whishbones, hopped up the dampers and out came my 17 year old mtronics ESC with a 19x2 motor, with a new battery pack it fired up straight away.

I have also just bought a old TL01 Skyline off a favorite auction site which had been used twice, i have just ballraced it got a better stock 27T motor and got a GPM bumper as well as that i have bought two sets of tyres one set with the new GTR wheels and also a set of drift tyres, to have a blast at drifting.

I do have two questions

1. The GPM foam bumper did not come with any instructions has anyone got a "how to" to install this. as i am confused. It has a blue alloy brace small carbon brace and also a plastic bumper and pins i just can see how it goes togeather.

2. i have a eco 27 ESc am i ok to fit a none silver can 540 motor to it as long as it is a 27turn?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the mad house :)

Can't help with your first query, but as for the second, a 27turn motro is a 27turn motor irrespective of manufacturer (this assumes 540 motor can size, 550 motors may be slightly more demanding). Your eco27 ESC will handle any 540 motor with 27 or greater turns.

Welcome to the mad house :D

Can't help with your first query, but as for the second, a 27turn motro is a 27turn motor irrespective of manufacturer (this assumes 540 motor can size, 550 motors may be slightly more demanding). Your eco27 ESC will handle any 540 motor with 27 or greater turns.

27 turn motor , isn't it the amount of windings , like 19 turn etc :) That's the way it is :D

Thanks for the quick replys,

Right thats great about the motor, as the instructions on the ESc said it would only run with stnadard 27 turn stock silver motor, i thought it can not be that much diffreent as the turns are the same.

If anyone does know about the GPM bumper that would be great.

Here are some pics of the skyline

_6097558.jpg

_6097551.jpg

How about pic's of the bumper , so we can see . :)

The setup looks to be straight forward. The angled bracket will mount at the bottom where the normal TL bumper goes. It is between the 2 front wish bones where the 2 chassis pieces gets joined with the normal bumper. The rigid bigger piece then screws onto that using 2 screws. The 2 long plastic "tubes" gets fitted to the ends of the ridgid bumper piece. The carbon/dogbone looking piece will be used to brace the chassis where the normal bumper fits just above where you've mounted the bottom angled bracket. The foam you will fit over the 2 plastic pieces on the ends and the collars is used to keep it in place. Just slip them into the grooves that is on the 2 pieces. That should be it. The 2 white/silver spacer/washer looking pieces I can't place where it should go. I think when fitting the pieces it will become evident.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay.

The setup looks to be straight forward. The angled bracket will mount at the bottom where the normal TL bumper goes. It is between the 2 front wish bones where the 2 chassis pieces gets joined with the normal bumper. The rigid bigger piece then screws onto that using 2 screws. The 2 long plastic "tubes" gets fitted to the ends of the ridgid bumper piece. The carbon/dogbone looking piece will be used to brace the chassis where the normal bumper fits just above where you've mounted the bottom angled bracket. The foam you will fit over the 2 plastic pieces on the ends and the collars is used to keep it in place. Just slip them into the grooves that is on the 2 pieces. That should be it. The 2 white/silver spacer/washer looking pieces I can't place where it should go. I think when fitting the pieces it will become evident.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay.

Thanks again for all your replys. Henk4Focus thats great all fitted now, if anyone want pictires i can take them and add to this thread. The little silver spaces are needed as the chasis has a small ridge and the spaces stop the carbon strip been flexed over the ridge. I did have a couple of screws letf over but all fitted ok.

My only concern is that although the chasis is protected by the foam now, on a big impact i could see more pressure been put on the bottom lugs as this is the only holding point for the bumper which could cause the chasis to crack?

I have been using one of those foam bumpers on my TL01 drifter for a couple of years with no problems.

One thing I would recomend is changing to a steel pinion, the alloy one wears pretty quickly. Even more so if you decide to lock the diffs. Also, use the lowest gear ratio to get more torque. Thats the 19 tooth pinion.

Welcome to the club.

That's a beautiful skyline you have there.

Enjoy.

Shawn