teddyt

how much is to much

hi guys

this is my first post and want to ask your opinion on the cost of collecting Nikko.

I have A few Nikko's and Taiyo cars and buggies. I have been very lucky in paying only a few pounds each for these, but looking around on e-bay lately

the cost is going ever higher ie nothing under £10 and of course the more wanted models going for high prices.

whilst i understand the rules of supply and demand.

I cant help thinking are all these cars being brought by genuine collectors or people hoping for a fast profit on a growing part of the hobby

please let me hear your views on this

hi guys

this is my first post and want to ask your opinion on the cost of collecting Nikko.

I have A few Nikko's and Taiyo cars and buggies. I have been very lucky in paying only a few pounds each for these, but looking around on e-bay lately

the cost is going ever higher ie nothing under £10 and of course the more wanted models going for high prices.

whilst i understand the rules of supply and demand.

I cant help thinking are all these cars being brought by genuine collectors or people hoping for a fast profit on a growing part of the hobby

please let me hear your views on this

I have paid scorcher money for some of the Nikko I collect. The value is set by three factors really. Desirability to the individual nutty collector (including me), who your bidding against at the time & where its for sale (Ebay, Forum or a flea market etc) I got into a bidding war on a sand bully and ended up paying £120 for it. We both really wanted it. But the next man along may just chuck it in the bin or car boot it for a quid ! I have also picked up SRB's in good nick for £20 at car boot sales. Even a LP5000 for £40 ! I'am not interested in turning a profit and non of my collection is ever up for sale if I can help it. And any real collector/restorer knows only too well there is never any real profit to be made in the long run. You actually lose a pile of cash on a restoration if its done properly. You do it for the love and enjoyment of it. There may be a small profit in original NIB if they are kept for long periods and bought cheap but not much. I dearly wish all these models where worthless in cash value so my collection and enjoyment would grow even more and all the models that are beyond my pocket would be accessible too. I think genuine collectors would still spend as much time and cash restoring them even if they where of no value. At the moment I think its a case of the demand increasing due to the generation of people from the 80' and early 90's who grew up with these toys are now at the point in there life where they are starting to collect.

Its very much supply and demand, but certainyl in the last 2 months prices are going silly on eaby - i'll put that down to Xmas fever at present, because global economics suggest people shouldn't have too much spare cash to be buying lots of nice to haves,

Its like with anything, as long as you only pay up to an amount you are happy with then its ok. I've collected Tamiya for years, from back in the crazy days but I've never paid more than what something is worth to me. If the going rate is higher than I feel comfortable with then I just give it a miss. Even now when prices are crashing all around I don't feel bitter about any purchase I made, where as I bet some people that bought for investment rather than 'value to them' have had their fingers burnt.

Chris