Flat_Out

SRB chassis modded with CRP and RCH parts? anymore info?

That is a very interesting chassis - clean the paint off with wire wool and it'll look great, an interesting vintage modified chassis that'll get people talking wherever you run it.

ANYONE with a long & wide Butterfly that have the means and time to scan it?

Theres a possibility that the cage and nerf could be an ARS variation. The cage is different but the nerfs definitely look ARS to me. The ARS also had threaded holes for sway bar.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getarticleimage....004214327_1.jpg

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...7386&id=911

EDIT: Scratch all that! Just looked at two together and its definitely NOT ARS. ARS nerfs much wider (and they stuffed the handling as a result).

But anyway, if I remember rightly front shock tower extenders were also made by RCH as they don't fit on standard towers or MIP. They require 2 fixing points.

HANG ON A MINIUTE!!! Spot the difference.

http://www.rcchopshop.com/crp/3061.html

The ARS was NIP when I got it and the scan is from the same packet for the cage on the car ??????

HANG ON A MINIUTE!!! Spot the difference.

http://www.rcchopshop.com/crp/3061.html

The ARS was NIP when I got it and the scan is from the same packet for the cage on the car ??????

Hmm, The ARS nerfs are the same as the CRP it seems, but neither are what I have here. The top bar on the ARS/CRP nerfs wraps around to the rear cage, where my nerfs have a top bar and bottom bar that are welded to a "sideways U" shaped bar that connects to the rear cage.

Hmm, well I have no idea still! I'm still a month off from moving, but will tear down the chassis and get it a bit of a restore as soon as I can.

Still roughly a month away from being able to move into the new place, but I was near my storage unit tonight and dug this chassis back out. Thought I'd take a better look at it after doing a ton of research into srb aftermarket mods.

Some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first- chassis has a crack in it. Right behind the rear-most mounts for the front uprights. My current thoughts are to shorten it to the same wheelbase as the standard srb wheelbase and bypass the crack- being a VW pervert, I gotta fit a scorcher body to it anyways!

Also, gearbox housing halves are def from different castings. Meaning to me that this chassis has probably seen many rebuilds and much abuse. Not much matter to me though, I'll rebuild it and make the best out of the parts stash I've got.

Good news: front trailing arms and rear A-arms are both cast in black platic. I though they were either painted original parts or white nylon parts (rch/crp) that had been dyed black; but it turns out they are moulded in black just like the rear mono shock set up (rch)! More odd parts to research!

Despite the crack in the chassis, the rest of the parts show little wear, and I look forward to building an amazing display piece out of this! Can't wait to start a build thread!

Hey Flat out, the nerf bars are painted / plastic coated JG Nerf bars - I have a set. The front uprights and arms are dyed nylon RCH parts. The whole buggy is a parts list not a kit so dont be surprised to find odds and ends i.e. different gear cases. The car in its current set up wont fit the Sand Scorcher shell, the front uprights and shocks are way out of scale - far to large.

The best info I have found is on this site but for some reason all the JG stuff has gone off the main site? Anyway here is a good thread to read up on

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/lofiversio...php?t30033.html

Cheers

Paul

Do you know if CRP made nylon rear a-arms too? those and the front trailing arms are moulded in black. Also, would it be safe to assume the rear cage is JG as well? All the cages I find pics of are the CRP style that have a curve in the parallel bars that stretch over the gearbox.

I've got a bunch of srb parts, i'll get a cleaner looking gearbox mounted up when I rebuild it. ;)

Post a pic of your nerfs if you get a chance, hedge! Thanks for the info!

edit- just found this: Pitstop Taipan

Same cage, nerfs, etc

and this: Taipan from the showroom

Mine is about just like this. except mine currently looks like ****... :)

I am new to this board but joined after seeing the photos of Flat_Outs find while doing some internet searches. I raced off road RC in Colorado when the cars looked just like this. This is a very evolved version of the car with few Tamiya parts remaining and would have ran in the Modified or Open classes by the top guys. The swaybar and rear monoshock were to make the swing axle rear suspension work. As soon as the MIP Gearbox and IRS kit came along it all changed again. Cars like this worked well and were what you had to build to be competative. The cars changed weekly during this era and required alot of personal fabrication in addition to the plentiful aftermarket parts. The folks racing them often were involved with 1-1 racecars so it was natural that they approached scale car racing in the same manner through innovation. I am going to restore my old car and am trying to find one like the one posted here to build another period correct car.

Flat out if this one were to come up for sale..I would be interested in talking to you about it. At a minimum those spare RCH front end parts would be a start. I will have to dig mine out to start the resto process and get some photos to share.

My car was retired when I bought the just released RC10. I only raced that car a few times and never liked it. I sold out but kept the good car as I had so much time and money in it as well as great memories. Im glad I did.

Mark

Mark

Welcome to the club. I hope the restoration goes well, searching for the crp/rch is part of the 'fun'.

I've been building my Rough Rider for nearly four years now and trying to find the parts is the hardest part, and have even bought complete cars just for a specific piece.

Enjoy the challenge.

Rich

Thread from the dead! I got a bit hooked on the SRB stuff since I found this chassis...

It is currently being restored. Just need to refinish the cage, and a few other parts.

DSC_0602_zps9e921ccc.jpg

Also building this all white car. Mostly NOS parts, a few lightly used.

IMG_5522_zps093e940b.jpg

And this one... built from all the used, beat up, scratched, worn parts.

IMG_4288_zps90481489.jpg

Building a couple of others too. Another with black nylon parts, a highly modded re-re, and another secret project I'll unleash on the world one day... :lol:

I'm still looking for more parts, but the projects are getting there.

Post pics of your car when you dig it out!

• Like 1

Finman, Thanks for the welcome message.

Flat_Out Oh you Terrible Horder!!! :-)

I'll get this car out and take some photos. Might take a little assembly to make it a roller that looks reasonable. My car ran an ARS full cage. The only one that I ever saw running in the area. The torsion tubes on the front are made from Volkswagon push rod tubes. I had the RCH wider frontend units but when I was able to get these from a VW builder I swapped those out as the ends have a nice flair where they insert into the shock tower. It does have a new scratchbuilt chassis plate under it but not one that I ever raced it with. In order to restore it I will need to find a vintage RCH butterfly chassis that is 1/2 longer than stock or one that I can borrow as a pattern. This will get the car back period as raced correct and I can use the scratched one for the new build. I call this scratchbuilt chassis plate new but its from around 1984-85.

I have my racing buddy digging around for what he might have remaining for hop up bits. He tended to sell cars to fund the next one so it may be a stretch. Im sure he has some photos though that I could share. The progression on his Tamiya car started with a Sand Scorcher and ended with an MIP/Tamiya rear mated to a Cox Scorpion front end. There were two cars in the area like that. In the middle it looked nearly identical to Flat_Outs car that he started this thread with. We ran Carpet at the time and the trick was the Ford Truck tires (Rough Riders front and back) all the way around. (Although I resisted for awhile) The reason for this was the course markers could tend to stick your car if you got into them. If you ran the Ford Fronts this wouldnt happen. Later this changed to Sand Blaster Jr Fronts stretched over that same Ford Truck front wheel with a foam insert inside to keep the tread from cupping. Then a decent dirt track opened in the Denver area and the aftermarket wheels and tires were available. We went to Open Class racing and ditched the Tamiya gearbox and monoshock set up for the newly available MIP rearend kit. (Most of us) The track was a true clay track (as all Dirt Track guys know to be correct) and would go from heavy (wet) to Dry Slick in the Main. After searching for traction coming out of the corners that new set of tires you put on earlier in the evening were toast.

These cars changed every week just like 1-1 racecars. My friend Bob was working in fab shop for a guy that ran a Class 7 Off Road Mazda truck who had been the Center Spread one year in Hot VWs magazine flying his Baja Bug. Two of the guys that raced with us had a brother and cousin who were both racing in the Mickey Thompson Stadium Series at the time. Needless to say this influenced how the little cars were built. I remember Bob showing up with Kyosho shocks that had custom built remote resevoirs. There was an entire series of these things he tried.

Mark

One day the US TV show "Hoarders" will indeed come have a sit down talk with me about my RC stuff.... :lol:

...and this post is a preemptive "dibs" post if you ever decide to sell. haha

I love the VW push rods for axle tubes! That's awesome. I'm a VW guy since I was a kid. I've owned 30+ VW's since I was a kid, and 90% of my R/C collection is VW based.

I'm going to do some test cuts soon on re-pops of some vintage aluminum mod parts. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Tracking down original parts is fun, and I love the primitive mechanical nature of them, but I also want to build one I can bash around without feeling bad about beating up!

The shelves in the garage hold several "Scorpion Beetle" projects as well. Over the years I've seen a few "kit bash" cars built from parts of both. I love old weird builds like that. :)

I had been waiting till I had time to piece the car back together as a roller for a photo but though I should get a photo out there of it in its current state. I will take some others later perhaps with a parts layout and then later as a roller.

Mark

post-40976-0-99334300-1362156339_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's really cool! Love that cage with the shock tabs in the corners. Can't wait to see it all back together! Keep us posted!

The parts and info in this thread is just awesome. I love the vintage purpose built cars. Just soooooo cool.

Remember this pile?

IMG_2125.jpg

It's almost done finally! Adding period electronics now.

31_zpsdd9eed7f.jpg

30_zps8d2525e1.jpg

32_zpsf9fb27a2.jpg

A lot of parts have changed, but I'm still calling it the same buggy. :rolleyes:

What a difference however many years makes! It has cleaned up very well indeed.

Lovely Jubbly.

I know I commented on this over at RC10Talk, but it looks so nice I'll comment twice.

nice job mate!

That turned out really nice. What are you plans for a body for it?

That's a good question! I need to test fit some stuff to see what will work with the cage and can be trimmed enough to clear the rockers and sway bar. Digging up vintage pics of similar cars will help too. I'll research it a bit. Period correct body options are limited these days though.... :(

There's a couple similar cars I'm working on that will need bodies too.