TWINSET

Tube fittings - any ideas?

Trying to find some of these tube fittings - anyone know who makes 'em or where to get 'em? (for 22mm tube)

pipef1.jpg

pipef2.jpg

Don't know what that is or what your trying to do but think differant industrys, i've used some of these

marine connectors before, great quality and because of the application long lasting. If you really want pastic then i'd ignore plumbing supplies (which is what google will show for a 22mm connector search i should think) because there all push fit and not that style and first try horticultral suppliers, cold frames stuff like that, second guess would be aquaculture / fishkeeping, thinking off filtration pipe connectors, would say medical but there all a bit weird and a lot of them are designed for single use. Aplogies if thats all useless twaddle but these days the choice is so great it's hard to locate unless you know what the thing is :o

*that link didn't work for me , don't know what i done but heres the address - http://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?l=0000000172

Cheers chap

These are to build a kayak trolley with - the connectors I got are not air/water tight, so not for pneumatics etc. look more like they're either for handrails or conduit/trunking or possibly even shopfittings, but I can't find 'em anywhere

There's a couple of good options there though, will have to have some thinking...

Cheers chap

These are to build a kayak trolley with - the connectors I got are not air/water tight, so not for pneumatics etc. look more like they're either for handrails or conduit/trunking or possibly even shopfittings, but I can't find 'em anywhere

There's a couple of good options there though, will have to have some thinking...

Ahh, there may be some ideas for you here then, http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/v...ic.php?p=180646 theres a links in those threads with other thoughts.

Still depends on what kind of trolley you want, did build one a few years back for a mate, he is disabled so made a trolley that fitted on the back of his pick up truck. Used powered actuators etc to make a bed that lifted off the back of his truck to floor level linked to his chair which he then used to tow down to the slipway. Much welding and cost but like you say a bit of thinking and it's all possible, it helped that he is a complete nut case and refused to accept the notion of problems in any form!

The one I have is an alu tubed affair, which breaks down - trouble is it's too wide to stow in the top box (8" dia hatch) so I need another set of breaks in it

Here's the one I have;

GEDC0253.jpg

I need it to split in half again, effectively leaving two T shapes - I take it with me as there's nowhere safe to leave it, so it needs to be portable.

Kinda like this, but the 'axle' on this one can't be split;

post-1185-1309977261_thumb.jpg

can't u just make a pipe joiner?

find some tubing of ID same as existing OD

hacksaw at some convenient straight area and rejoin together with the joiner

to secure joiner, just drill hole straight thru the 4 pipe walls and put a bolt thru.

Other side... put a giant "body clip" thru... i think industry calls them "R clips"

Yep, none of that's a problem, but I want to knock up a prototype without taking my current trolley apart ('cos I'm still using it) - hence the need to source some joints.

Have found some handrail fittings now in cast alu, so at a push they'll work...

Another thought - may be worth having a chat with a plant fitter / hire company, i know from my days in construction that theres all kinds of slip connectors used on 360's etc that are for quick coupling of attachments, may need to thread the two cut ends for that though so don't know if you have access to that kit. Ideal soultion would be to have no bolts / clips to lose, just line up and twist and lock. Have a look here too, may be a simple soultion? http://www.baselinemarine.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=4

You'll get bored of me soon! choice is always a problem with this kind of thing, as soon as you start goiing off the beaten track you'll have more info than you want and far too many ways of doing it!

if its ok for the fittings to be plastic, go Ikea/HomeDepot etc and look close at a frame coatrack usually on 4 casters

those things are real handy source for tubing & fittings cheaper than raw material @ hardware store

Cheers Willy, a mate suggested something similar last night actually - I'll be off to Argos soon to see what they got!

Well, I had to chop up the trolley in the end

I could’ve made it from handrail fittings, but they’d have cost as much as another trolley, so I tried the mod route first;

The material list is;

22mm OD alu tube

25mm OD alu tube with 1.5mm wall thickness (so 22mm fits nice inside)

4mm rivets with 10mm long body

Packet of caravan awning pole spring clips

Plastic caps for tube ends (stops the uprights gouging the scupper holes in the kayak)

2 x 22mm handrail tees in stainless

15mm webbing and buckles for wheel ties

Also required;

Pop rivet gun

4 and 6mm drills

Centre-punch

Pipe cutter

To take the original apart it was just a case of drilling the rivets out (4mm drill)

Making the new one was almost as simple, all the rivet holes were drilled 4mm dia, the awning spring clips were 6mm

When drilling the awning clip holes, I drilled through both (22 and 25mm) tubes at once to ensure proper alignment.

All the alu going through the original fittings is 22mm, the width-spacer pieces are 25mm and I put some 25mm over the upright poles too and capped them off

Here’s a shot of the original trolley stowed pretty much as I had to (pic from eBay seller);

trol001.jpg

The new version, MK I – this one was a bit narrow so wasn’t so stable walking across slopes

trol002.jpg

Detail of awning clip

trol003.jpg

trol004.jpg

MKII with rearward support – no idea if it needed it, but most of the trollies have some kind of horizontal support.

This is where the stainless handrail fittings were used

trol005.jpg

Breaking down;

trol006.jpg

trol007.jpg

trol008.jpg

It’s all in there!

trol009.jpg

Except for the wheels

trol010.jpg

Detail of the spring clip;

trol011.jpg

trol013.jpg

trol014.jpg

trol015.jpg

Well done, glad you got it sorted. That is all pretty neat. Where did you get the awning pole clips from?

Cheers chap, I'm quite happy with it meself

The awning clips came from Kenmore Caravans, via eBay - seller sal1914

£3.55 posted for a pack of 5