Japanscaledriver

2011 (1995) Ford F150 Baja

Just got the re-re Ford F150 Baja truck... Box art is interesting, has the official Ford licensed product markings and the Ford website... One end of the box is printed sideways, first time I have seen this from Tamiya...

Will be built.

I'll see how I go taking pics and posting the build progress up here.

270393_10150371830583294_709708293_10139927_5151880_n.jpg

268030_10150371828348294_709708293_10139906_5321151_n.jpg

Nice. I think this may be another one to go on the wishlist. Are the gearboxes moulded in red as per original?

What I don't get is how they can re-release this one with all of the Ford bumph yet the Blackfoot is completely stripped of it. I can only assume that the licence never actually expired for this one.

Nice. I think this may be another one to go on the wishlist. Are the gearboxes moulded in red as per original?

I´m also curious about the colour of the gearboxes as someone in another thread tought they were molded in blue ??? :lol:

That is so cool i ordered one for myself

I´m also curious about the colour of the gearboxes as someone in another thread tought they were molded in blue ??? :)

Ditto here - It's ridiculous, but I'd buy this kit for the blue gear boxes alone. It's been a while since Tamiya's done anything different with this chassis and a new color would be nice addition to the choices already available.. Although I do wish they'd bring back the silver boxes or do some in transparent plastic :lol:

Ditto here - It's ridiculous, but I'd buy this kit for the blue gear boxes alone. It's been a while since Tamiya's done anything different with this chassis and a new color would be nice addition to the choices already available.. Although I do wish they'd bring back the silver boxes or do some in transparent plastic :lol:

The silver gearboxes would be NICE :o . And I,m with you : I would also buy it just for the blue gearboxes. Guess we are a bit crazy :)

Just found this link to a video from Tamiya America marketing department which shows that the gearboxes are indeed blue

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15398850

Glad my eyeballs weren't deceiving me :)

Well how about that ?? Will keep my eyes open at Jason´s in the future :lol:

Just found this link to a video from Tamiya America marketing department which shows that the gearboxes are indeed blue

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15398850

Glad my eyeballs weren't deceiving me :)

Yeah, thanks for that! I see you also get two sets of wheels?!? Lol why? An extra set of tires would be more useful IMO

sorry guys, big weekend...

gearboxes are blue steering parts too...lucky Americans... they give you a reason to buy in America... the Japanese kit doesn't have an ESC or the extra set of wheels...

rear ball diff, front geardiff...

282023_10150374546458294_709708293_10170318_480927_n.jpg

oh yeah, the chassis build manual and the body paint sheet are separate, does this mean more bodies on the TA-02T chassis? or was it that way in the past?

oh yeah, the chassis build manual and the body paint sheet are separate, does this mean more bodies on the TA-02T chassis? or was it that way in the past?

I wouldn´t mind a TA02-T Prerunner :D

that's what I was thinking, it would be good to see that re-released.

the Ford Baja comes with the silver plated wheels at the top of this picture, but I also have the chrome and black chrome versions from other cars.

If anyone wants a set of chrome or black chrome...

281614_10150374748868294_709708293_10172333_1868562_n.jpg

Have you already been able to find out in what way this TA-02T differs from a regular TA-02 F-150. Is is wider or...?

unfortunately I don't have a TA-02 F150...

But I can put up some specs here...

front track is about 188mm at the top of the tyres, due to camber.

Front toe is positive, due to fixed length tie rods on the steering.

Rear Track is the same and has high neg camber and positive toe.

clearance is about 30mm with only the big spacers in the shock springs.

here is the rear gearbox completed.

281486_10150375442668294_709708293_10180818_3186510_n.jpg

unfortunately I don't have a TA-02 F150...

But I can put up some specs here...

front track is about 188mm at the top of the tyres, due to camber.

Front toe is positive, due to fixed length tie rods on the steering.

Rear Track is the same and has high neg camber and positive toe.

clearance is about 30mm with only the big spacers in the shock springs.

here is the rear gearbox completed.

281486_10150375442668294_709708293_10180818_3186510_n.jpg

Hmm, that is not any different from the original... Strange thing that they call it a TA-02T then actually.

Have you already been able to find out in what way this TA-02T differs from a regular TA-02 F-150. Is is wider or...?

The three trucks are shorter than the TA01/2. They use the 02 chassis (1" shorter than the 01) and 01 rear arms that are turned around (sweeping back like a 02) but they don't sweep as far as 02 arms so you end up with a 250mm - ish wheelbase. Also, it uses TA01 front suspension. So really, it is a TA01S(hort), not a TA02 at all.

The 3 compulsory accessories for this range was the metal motor mount (the low gearing and big tyres flexed the plastic one, and the motor gets hot, they can't be geared down just right), the hard prop shaft and the TA01 long arm set (TA02 front end). None change the looks, if you are a purist, but make them a much nicer thing to drive about.

Incidentally, if you swap the rear arms around so they sweep forward, it makes the wheelbase just right for the Sandscorcher body, or any of it's lexan or styrene clones.

The three trucks are shorter than the TA01/2. They use the 02 chassis (1" shorter than the 01) and 01 rear arms that are turned around (sweeping back like a 02) but they don't sweep as far as 02 arms so you end up with a 250mm - ish wheelbase. Also, it uses TA01 front suspension. So really, it is a TA01S(hort), not a TA02 at all.

The 3 compulsory accessories for this range was the metal motor mount (the low gearing and big tyres flexed the plastic one, and the motor gets hot, they can't be geared down just right), the hard prop shaft and the TA01 long arm set (TA02 front end). None change the looks, if you are a purist, but make them a much nicer thing to drive about.

This model is next on my list at the moment so I can't wait to see this thread updated by Japanscaledriver.

I understand the necessary upgrades for TA01/TA02 pretty well but my question is this.

If the TA02 chassis is shorter, is the prop shaft shorter as well? I have checked a couple of suppliers that I would use and I haven't yet found an aftermarket prop shaft for TA02.

Are they the same or am I just not looking hard enough?

those are different shafts, but there are still some available for the F-150.

Tamiya - 9805901 (is shorter than the one for TA01 and DF01 but with all 3 shafts)

There is 20mm difference in length between a TA01/DF01 and TA02 propshaft. Part number TA2025 from GPM for the TA02. And part TA1025 from GPM for the TA01/DF01.

A 16 tooth pinion is 11.27:1 ratio. How much lower do you need it?

I'm using a 17 tooth steel pinion with a MambaMax 4600Kv and it's geared just right in my F150. In the Blazing Star (essentially the same chassis - DF01) with a 5700Kv motor I'm using the 19 tooth pinion, and they are the same CC01 wheels.

The DT02 motor heatsink will fit the chassis if motor temperatures are a problem.

There is 20mm difference in length between a TA01/DF01 and TA02 propshaft. Part number TA2025 from GPM for the TA02. And part TA1025 from GPM for the TA01/DF01.

A 16 tooth pinion is 11.27:1 ratio. How much lower do you need it?

I'm using a 17 tooth steel pinion with a MambaMax 4600Kv and it's geared just right in my F150. In the Blazing Star (essentially the same chassis - DF01) with a 5700Kv motor I'm using the 19 tooth pinion, and they are the same CC01 wheels.

The DT02 motor heatsink will fit the chassis if motor temperatures are a problem.

Thanks TA-Mark, I'm pretty well convinced that this is a worthwhile model now after reading through some members rides.

Asiatees don't have any TA02 prop shafts in stock atm which is dissapointing. Is it still worth ordering the GPM motor mount from them? My other option is to get both from Dinball but they stock "Yeah Racing". I will order them separately if people think that the GPM motor mount is superior for any reason? Please let me know your thoughts?

@ Japanscaledriver, I hope everything is going OK with your F150 build? Its been a while and I'm very interested in your progress now that this is on top of my shopping list. Mine will get a crawl motor and be used for scale 4WDing rather than true rock crawling.