Sign in to follow this  
unrise_lyrical

Problem getting ESC to work for the first time?

Hey guys,

Frustratingly, I finished something like a 6 month build on an old TA03F I used to drive with my dad about 10 years ago just then. I have soldered on some deans connectors to the battery and the ESC, and soldered the ESC to the motor, details are as follows:

Motor - Hobbywing 10.5T brushless sensored

ESC - Hobbywing 60A ESC

Battery - Intellect 5000mah NiMh

Anyway, I plugged it all together and as soon as the receiver and transmitter (Futaba 3PL - 2.4ghz) make a connection, the ESC emits a continuous beeping sound, and a red light remains on. If I squeeze the trigger forwards, the beeping stops but nothing happens...as soon as I release the trigger it starts beeping. If I push in reverse, it screams into life (going forwards though?) it seems as though it is picking up the signal backward....but I have also noticed if I let the trigger return to neutral, the motor will keep turning at a slower speed until I squeeze the trigger in (theoretically accelerating....but I guess braking in this configuration?) also, when I "brake" hard (accelerating in reality) that red light turns green...but quickly turns back to red again....

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated...hopefully its just a calibration thing (when we first built this it was all mechanical speed controllers, AM signals and yawn-tastic speed....so I am a bit out of my depth at the moment!)

cheers guys

quick update....I have reversed the steering and throttle info on the controller and they both now function as they should....but it is still making the constant beeping.....under heavy acceleration the green light comes on on the ESC, but I can still see the red one is also lit....

(I checked all the error codes in the ESC manual....there is no mention of constant light and a constant beep....only pulsed error codes)...

I also got the programming card for the ESC which is allowing me to go into all the menus etc, so I am pretty confident the ESC isn't faulty...

Sounds as if the ESC needs a set-up cycle. Did you do this already?

Have you programmed the ESC with the transmitter ...

For Futaba radios (or Futaba OEMs), throttle channel should be reversed.

I'd suggest you set all trims to zero and any end point adjustments to maximum initially.

Connect battery, press and hold set-up button while turning ESC ON.

ESC should flash red and beep the motor repeatedly. Release button as quickly as possible.

With throttle in Neutral Position, press and release set-up button, you should hear a single beep and one light flash.

Pull throttle to Full Throttle position, press and release button again, you should hear two beeps and two light flashes.

Push throttle to Full Reverse position, press and release button, you should hear three beeps and three light flashes.

Relax to neutral position and wait a few seconds, you should now be armed and ready

I hadn't done that particular setup you just wrote up (thanks VERY much....went through and it made all the correct beeps....stupid that it wasn't written in the manual!) I plugged in the program card earlier on and set the "neutral point" or something along those lines from 6% to 12% and it stopped the beeping...it also stopped trying to slowly drive forwards when not accelerating (I am guessing I can return that to 6% now that I have set where the idle point is...I will experiment).

Another COMPLETE noob question, so big apologies in advance....but do brushless motors not have reverse? Doesn't bother me in the slightest...but I wasn't sure if I had not set something up correctly or if they are like those old competition motors that had no reverse...

I hadn't done that particular setup you just wrote up (thanks VERY much....went through and it made all the correct beeps....stupid that it wasn't written in the manual!) I plugged in the program card earlier on and set the "neutral point" or something along those lines from 6% to 12% and it stopped the beeping...it also stopped trying to slowly drive forwards when not accelerating (I am guessing I can return that to 6% now that I have set where the idle point is...I will experiment).

Another COMPLETE noob question, so big apologies in advance....but do brushless motors not have reverse? Doesn't bother me in the slightest...but I wasn't sure if I had not set something up correctly or if they are like those old competition motors that had no reverse...

you do have reverse, you just have to select the correct programme via the program card (there will be forward only program, used mainly for racing purposes, and a forward/reverse programme for general use).

some ESCs also require a ''double tap'' to engage reverse, ie first selection of reverse is brakes only, then go back to neutral and back into reverse to actually get reverse mode.

As Percymon states most ESCs have reverse, but on many, you are a able to select "bash-mode" with reverse (either delayed or requiring double tap for reverse) or "competition-mode" with only forward (reverse not being allowed in most competitions).