Sign in to follow this  
HunterZero

Mad Bull re-release

Actually, I think someone mentioned it in passing when they posted about the Mad fighter...

and it was in a post in general from a guy whose old Mad Bull could hit 32MPH with a silver can and plastic bushes...

It's not actually a re-re, because it still has the original number...

Was hoping the bodies would be available as a spare, but it looks like ebay breakers will be the only source. I think the body may be just about the only part that you can actually break on these buggies - the rest of it appears to be bulletproof. So naturally, that's the one part you can't get. B)

Just briefly. I don't think it was even one year ago that TamiyaUSA still had them on the clearance rack for $85 or so.

For that price I considered buying a couple spares, but I've never managed to break anything other than shells, so I didn't see the point.

Apparently the shells are just as hard to get now as they ever were, re-release or no. They do seem to be easier to get outside the US but shipping is expensive.

I'm currently in the process of building a Mad Bull and want to toss the friction shocks in favour of CVA oil shocks 50519 & 50520. But the Mad Bull manual shows only how to build the Hi Cap dampers. Are these instructions suitable for CVA shocks, too? Or do you recommend another setup for CVA?

The only thing that really matter is the length and I think the instructions you have will work just fine. Oil shocks really improve the handling -you'll love them!

Thank you very much.

The Mad Bull manual advises on page 15 to use 3-hole-pistons for the front dampers (damper length 71 mm) and 4-hole-pistons for the rear dampers (length 92 mm). Recommended oil type is 200. These are the instructions for Tamiya Hi Cap dampers.

For Tamiya CVA dampers, I don't know if 4-hole-pistons are available separately, and I even don't know if I should be fine with standard 2-hole-pistons and standard 300 type oil.

I'd like one, but I already have so many cars. However, I do seriously hope the wheels become available in larger numbers (especially the rears). I need these (or Wild Willy 2 wheels) for my Monster Truck.

There's something about its looks (have to see it personally). I was not interested in a Madbull or Grasshopper before, but recently seeing one pinkish-red XB Madbull changed my mind. Tamiya is really making a blitzkrieg (massive fast flooding assault) on the market right now with Fast Attack, Blitzer Beetle, Montero, Sand Rover, Chrome Brat, Gold Lunchbox, Vajra, Blackfoot3, etc.

And I'm almost sure Monster Beetle, Egress, and Ranger XLT are not that far behind...

great work, I like it. Very nice looking madbull qatmix.

Guess next I need to try other types of wheels/tires. go madbulls!

Qatmix, your Red Bull Mad Bull looks indeed fantastic. Nearly too nice to be run and scratched.

For oil shocks, I'm using now C.V.A. Mini shocks 70mm for front with X7 spring stiffeners and for the back C.V.A. Short shocks 91mm without spring stiffeners, 3-hole-piston discs and yellow #400 oil are all around. To be honest, I could not see a big difference to the stock friction shocks, but that doesn't matter as the Mad Bull is just fun to drive and will get anywhere where smaller buggys usually get stuck. Spiked rear tires would be good for climbing sand hills.

Edited by GregM

Had to put spring stiffeners on the back, and more spring stiffeners on the front, now the oil shocks are behaving much better. I realised this when I tried to do some jumps. The Mad Bull is great in its own way - I still have to paint the bodyshell and take some nice photos.