Will16

#58502 Blitzer Beetle Re-Release Announced!

This time with mirrors!

mirrors.jpg

Niiiiice! Not very familiar with this model... is this re-re with the same chassis as the original?

Body: Isn't the wheel arches different from the SS? Flatter/wider? Lexan shell?

Yep, the Re-Re will have same chassis as original, like the Stadium Blitzer.

Companies have got the Blitzer Bug in stock now. Fusion have the best price!

I'd like the body to be in white as SS2010 but Tamiya sticks with the original black. oh well...

Hope Tamiya sticks with high degree of originality if/when they release the Monster Beetle!

Anyone notice that they have ditched the red bulkhead and gearbox? (makes me happy... it was an insult to the eyes first time round)

I will get one of these.

Did the original wheels stick out as much as the re-re? I am glad I sold my and didn't loose any money and now I can buy it back, the re re, and still have money left in my pocket. Love the sound of change in my pocket.

Niiiiice! Not very familiar with this model... is this re-re with the same chassis as the original?

Body: Isn't the wheel arches different from the SS? Flatter/wider? Lexan shell?

The Body is the std hard plastic monster/Blitzer beetle body which had smaller wings/wheel arch's than the SS (they chopped off the curved edges) so yes the wheel archs/fenders/wings are smaller

I'd like the body to be in white as SS2010 but Tamiya sticks with the original black. oh well...

Hope Tamiya sticks with high degree of originality if/when they release the Monster Beetle!

The Body is molded in white as stated here http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58502

Should look almost identical to the monster beetle body (just the holes for the mirrors showing its not original MB)

Anyone notice that they have ditched the red bulkhead and gearbox? (makes me happy... it was an insult to the eyes first time round)

I will get one of these.

the Bulkhead and gearbox where originaly Black on these as the pictures of the original show here

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58122

& Here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=128

it was the stadium thunder that had the red gearbox etc & the garstly day glow yellow wheels

the Blitzer Beetle 2011 is a copy of the original with the body molded in white instead of black (the only diffrence I can see)

there may be a few changes to the decals but I hav'nt compaired them that closley

Pete

Am i missing something, what is wrong with a Black body? ;)

just tamiya being odd again, they say the body is molded in white and people are saying its black, will wait a couple of weeks and buy one to check either way

But its not important its still the same body.

Am i missing something, what is wrong with a Black body? ;)

White body easy to prime and paint, black shiny body not so easy.

I agree. Not everyone wants black. For those that do, happy days, just add stickers to shiny black body. For those that don't, not so good.

It is a shame that the body is the black version, because it is a swine to get primer to adhere to it properly. A couple of my blitzer beetle bodied cars have sections where the paint and primer have just flaked right off, whereas my original MB shell and the re-re Scorcher that use the white shell don't have that same problem. Having said that of course, given that Blitzer bodies have been fairly readily available even before this re-re was announced, it's not really surprising they'd be used for the re-re.

Of course for those of us that prefer something a little more individual than box art, this is a bit of a shame.

But, for not much more than $30 you can get a SS body kit so it's really a moot point.... You could waste that much in fine sand paper and primer trying to prep the black body.

But, for not much more than $30 you can get a SS body kit so it's really a moot point.... You could waste that much in fine sand paper and primer trying to prep the black body.

That's true enough actually. I think most of my Beetles were made before the SS body was available.

Whooooot... Stella has them in stock as of tonight, $135 USD. That's less than half of the original price. I just put my order in.

That is a very good price. Thank you Stella :)

x2

P9295121.jpg

P9295122.jpg

It's here!

Windows are dark tint, that's all that has raised my notice so far... So they are not SS windows just thrown in.

Hmmm... First sign of modern Tamiya excellence :)

"What to do, Tamiya Jr. San? We have two different chassis with the same body?"

"Simple, leave both sets of mounting holes in it. Stickers cover a multitude of sins"

P9295125.jpg

"Simple, leave both sets of mounting holes in it. Stickers cover a multitude of sins"

P9295125.jpg

Ouch. Presumably the extra holes are what the "BONUS PARTS INCLUDED" are referring to?

Hahaaha... I haven't found those yet.

They actually have included 3 little black square "modesty patches" on the sticker sheet to cover them. I had not found those when I made that last post.

Hahaaha... I haven't found those yet.

They actually have included 3 little black square "modesty patches" on the sticker sheet to cover them. I had not found those when I made that last post.

Ouch again. That really is sloppy. I mean sure, I'm well aware of how well stickers cover up a messed up paint job (God knows I've done it enough times myself), but to actually include stickers to cover up a body botch? That's not good.

Thank gawd for Isopon :)

P9295125.jpg

Wouldn't this make the front more fragile? With the amount of VW Beetle bodies I've seen with cracks around the front post hole you'd think that Tamiya would've done something to strengthen it rather than be so lazy.

Yes... Very much so.

For a while I was considering just slapping the stickers on and dosing the whole thing with a can of clear top coat, but knowing that hole under there will drive me nuts, besides the point that VSJXF raised...

I'll probably mask the outside of the body and fill the 3 holes with epoxy. That works for filling holes in lexan bodies so it should take to this ok. I'll also allow me to attach a brace under the hood to get a little strength back. It also still might end up box art.

Wow! :)

Tamiya really cheapens up lately.

They seem to love cutting holes into bodies (Holiday Buggy, Sand Rover, Blitzer Beetle) instead of working around it.

I have some original Blitzer Beetle bodies stashed away if anyone wants to avoid this. Just PM me.

This also raises a question about a possible Monster Beetle re-re too. That kit has yet another set of mounting holes in, so are they just going to release it with all the holes of the predecessors? Maybe we'll only see an MB re-re once we've had the Blitzer Beetle run, BB XB and bodyshell run before Tamiya blank out the holes for the Scorcher and Blitzer so that we get a "virgin" shell for the MB?

Otherwise the MB is going to look like a Tetley teabag!