Sign in to follow this  
B.M.T.

It's the simple pleasures in life

I have been very preoccupied in preparing things for vintage racing, racing rc rallycross, scale 4wd'ing and crawling for the last few years.

This morning I took my bone standard Grasshopper (still with the 380), slipped in a NiMH pack and spent 5 minutes or so zipping around the paved area of my back yard. I have not smiled like that while operating an rc anything for a very long time.

I believe there is something in that to be learned, observed and cherished.

+1

Sometimes it's easy to forget that the most fun to be had is often from the simplest of formulae. Cars like the 'Hopper and 2010HB illustrate that.

Spot on, I sometimes have the most fun whizzing my son's 1/24 scale r/c lambo around the house annoying the wife and pets <_<

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes just putzing about with an old favourite is just good therapy.

I had a pretty good weekend - running my WW2 around the garden while the kids were in their paddling pool (and shooting at it/me with their water pistols <_<) Sunday some friends came round with their kids so we had 2 Slashes, my E-Revo and a couple of buggies blasting round the car park and just, well, playing.

Both days were great fun, enjoyed by kids and adults alike.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes just putzing about with an old favourite is just good therapy.

<_< Now this I like. "Why do you play with RC cars?" "It's medicinal".

<_< Now this I like. "Why do you play with RC cars?" "It's medicinal".

I routinely give this response to people who ask "why?"

My job is stressful (attorney) and the decisions I make have serious consequences for other people. Mistakes are not an option. So when I come home and decompress for 20 minutes in the front drive with an R/C it is pure stress relief. Can't beat it. And it doesn't matter if I get reckless and make a mistake. Worst case scenario I have a serious curb check or yard-sale rollover and break something. Oh well - I built it, I can fix it. If not, well I wanted a new [insert model here] anyway. :D

Doesn't matter if it's old tech, if it puts a smile on my face and makes me relax, it's good.

Same thing! <_<

This is what fun is all about & with out it what would life BE <_< .

I find simple can be the best fun you could have , oval with one jump

two or more cars & we have had the best fun ever .

I can relate to that even though I haven't run my RC for ages...like over 5 years. But I do once in a while take them out and just LOOK and pose them. My favour is still my Pajero, which I have been adding bits and piece over the years. I some times even sleep in the opposite direction just to see my RC before nodding off to sleep....I guess these are my personal moments.

for smiles per 1/10miles it sure is great, if laughter is the best, smiles must be a tonic at least and i get my rda with rc, if it's a quick blast, a slow crawl, a bit of paint, a bit of a build, a glance my rcs, or a visit here, all helps the happy :)

for smiles per 1/10miles it sure is great, if laughter is the best, smiles must be a tonic at least and i get my rda with rc, if it's a quick blast, a slow crawl, a bit of paint, a bit of a build, a glance my rcs, or a visit here, all helps the happy :)

Heh I'm glad I'm not the only one that can just sit in my study and spend 20 minutes looking at my collection and think, "My buggies are awesome".

@ SteelRat we're on the same wavelength today ( un intentional pun ) got your back in a couple of others today, keep sending them off before saying so how's it going? a big part of the pleasure for me is also people getting what i say and getting what they say,but not running a kit for me would be like buying a suit and then never putting it on. I can't get having an rc not to run even once a year is good , i understand it can look good but i always think a static kit can do this. no offence intended for you shelf queeners out there, but if i got my hands on your queens i would rag em to with in an inch of their life, so don't trade with me if it makes you squemish :)

edit; i have spent a long time just looking at them they do make me happy and thinking now if i just do this or add that all part of the fun. sometime i run them sometimes it seems i'm spending more time painting modding building but it all comes down to the few moments during a run when when you get that little ah in your head or is that just me

^ Your post gave me a good laugh, thanks I needed one.. I'm guilty of having some shelf queens, but not by purpose.. I usually build them and have another similar model that has not been flogged to death yet. Or I just had so dang many that I just stuck with a favorite..

To be honest my favorite was My hornet, My Futaba FX-10, My WW2 and the frog.. Those got the most playtime..

I used to ride sportbikes for a medicinal hobby, but I since have sold that due to .. well, due to I don't want to die just yet. I busted out all the old r/c's and have a smile again..

glad you got it, i really don't mind if people have shelf queens it's all about the joy the thing gives you no matter what, i can even understand the nib crew. it gives them a grin and that's as good as it can get or you can ask for really. i probably get peoples backs up sometimes with what i say but it only applies to me i never expect people to have my exact view, but it's nice to be in company of people who understand the simple pleasures, forgot to say thanks for the topic B.M.T.

My only surprise is that you stopped before the batteries died. The Grasshopper is THE greatest buggy ever IMO...

Enjoy it!

+1!!...Yes the simple pleasures are indeed the best!!...i'm with you guys, love the process..choose a model, old-new build it or restore/repair it..& use it!!..i love my Tamiya's more now than ever.. :lol:

And i love racing around my large back garden with them!!....not into 'shelf queening' & certainley not in keeping hoards of NIB models!?...get them built & used guys before its too late!!...or are they into making money with them later down the line??.. <_< ..who cares!!.

Hey, i guess i'm like that kid in the back of the tamiya manuals...play..clean..grease..put away for next time!!.. :unsure:

We simply don't have enough time for this hobby tbh!!...

Boy, can I relate to this. The other day, I took a piece of scrap plywood and propped it up against a cinderblock to make a ramp... 10 minutes of solid ear-to-ear grins. It simply doesn't get any better.

Sometimes its the RC's we forget we even have that are the most fun to drive :D

I finally got a chance to run one of the r/c's today, I took out the F-350 for a hour of enjoyment, at the back of a construction site. Lots of hils, mounds mud and rocks. Would have taken the Hilux or the Blazer, but I've spent so much time getting them looking good, just a hour's run wasn't worth the clean up later. One day soon I'll go out with them all and give the lot a run.

:lol: I can exactly recognize this feeling when I drive my box standard Fighter Buggy RX. Got it around 98-99 from my dad. He bought it on a flea market. Until 06 it was my "daily driver" Many weekends and afternoons when school was out I spent the time with this simple solid buggy. 06 was the year I got my first nitro powered car. I thought I never will go back to electric powered cars, but about 4 months ago it took me back. I saw my RX hanging at the wall in the workshop covered in Dust. after the clean up and restauration the fun was back in full power. Its really those memorys wich make it worth playing with it. :)

Regards

Lukas

I can relate to that even though I haven't run my RC for ages...like over 5 years. But I do once in a while take them out and just LOOK and pose them. My favour is still my Pajero, which I have been adding bits and piece over the years. I some times even sleep in the opposite direction just to see my RC before nodding off to sleep....I guess these are my personal moments.

The XC pajero is still my all time favourite. Given I have fixed her up several times and now she is a static queen. She had give my son and me so much fun when we use to take her our. Now, whenever I go by my LHS and spoted some new items, I would consider adding it to my Pajero.

To date, I have added the followings:

1) wheel and tire at the rear instead of the moulded cover

2) a winch

3) lights on her roof

4) roof rack

5) painted the wheels to match the body color

6) front and rear diff locked

I am thinking dropping a 35 turn motor and take her our for some exercise.

She has been with me for 13 years and still in good shape....can't say the same for my wife... :)