Sign in to follow this  
Mervyn

Tamiya S.C./Frog/Hornet rear tires

Super Champ/Frog/Hornet all share the same rear tires. Am I correct in thinking the super champ tires had no little air hole in them in the center of the tread? And that by the time the frog and hornet came out,those ones did? Did the super champ come both ways?

have gutfeeling they all did

just the other day was mounting new rubber onto some ancient wheels - very likely off a Superchamp

and yeah the old bald tyres had airhole. Don't remember any Superchamp tyre "holding air" in use.

have gutfeeling they all did

just the other day was mounting new rubber onto some ancient wheels - very likely off a Superchamp

and yeah the old bald tyres had airhole. Don't remember any Superchamp tyre "holding air" in use.

Interesting. I have a super champ,old original and the rear tires don't have the little air holes? Recently noticed on ebay 2 items. An original never used super champ,the rear tires had the holes. Then I see a new in box set of wheels and tires from back in the day,and those tires have the holes. Makes me wonder if thats something that changed soon after release?

Interesting. I have a super champ,old original and the rear tires don't have the little air holes? Recently noticed on ebay 2 items. An original never used super champ,the rear tires had the holes. Then I see a new in box set of wheels and tires from back in the day,and those tires have the holes. Makes me wonder if thats something that changed soon after release?

perhaps

i've never built a SuperChamp from NIB nor own a NIB kit so can't help ye there

have collected a lot of old "pinhead" tyres in various stages of decrepidity, most from SC/Frog/Hornet era

only recently been digging them out to salvage the wheels for reuse as Hornet & Frog re-re has

provided source of tyres alone whereas previously you'd only buy those tyres as spareparts

in a box set with wheels included

the pinheads do suck in a lot more sand, dried mud etc than Grasshopper/Scorcher padlatraks

on a side note , i can vaguely remember having a set of rear tyres that on a buggy that you could use a needle and syrenge to ''pump'' the tyre by poking the needle through one of the knobs on the tread .. it was a long time ago backin the 80's when i started out mucking around with rc cars .. any one else remember this ??

^^^ probably Kyosho, they used those pneumatic tyres on some buggies and also the ATC trike.

^^^ probably Kyosho, they used those pneumatic tyres on some buggies and also the ATC trike.

Those were pretty cool and forward thinking for the time : )

Those were pretty cool and forward thinking for the time : )

apart from leaking air & OH&S/liability nightmares from selling hypodermic sharps to young customers <_<

"Was a good idea at the time" like including aerosol spraycans inside model kits.

Regulatory hassles + not everybody wants to paint their model the same 1 colour.

I think the tires are all the same , maybe some with holes some without.. There are Differences in the wheels however between the original frog/Superchamp,scorcher .. The superchamp and original scorchers are the same, but the original frog has differences.... So There is a way to tell if "frog" wheels have been used on the Champ/Scorcher...

I think the tires are all the same , maybe some with holes some without.. There are Differences in the wheels however between the original frog/Superchamp,scorcher .. The superchamp and original scorchers are the same, but the original frog has differences.... So There is a way to tell if "frog" wheels have been used on the Champ/Scorcher...

Agreed, the tires were the same and some apparently came with holes and some without. What is the diff between the original s.c./s.s. wheels and the frog?

Agreed, the tires were the same and some apparently came with holes and some without. What is the diff between the original s.c./s.s. wheels and the frog?

Most people overlook this , but on the original Frog the Hex for the wheel backing nut is REAL defined and sharp as where the Scorcher/Superchamp are not as defined and almost look round. So If you have the defined hexes, most likely you have frog wheels..