I don't think there's much chance of ford re-releasing the 1968 Mustang, or the likes of Sunbeam, Alvis, Bristol, Pontiac etc re-releasing anything. People make money from 1:1 cars because of finite number of casr, there will never be more than the manufacturers first built, hence the reason you can make money at dealing in them. Same doesn't apply to 1:10 tamiya, because you never know what's going to be re-released next. I wouldn't be surprised if tamiya look at what's high priced that hasn't been re-re'd yet, and then plan to release that to cash in. Sooner or later though, they will run out of nostalgia (and the 1st 100), and then will have to go back to market dominated by the likes of traxxas, associated, axial, etc.

what i wanted to say is that some people deal with old mustangs, bristol, ferraris, aston martins etc. - classic cars.

it's a business like any other. there are some people who see classic cars as an investment like others invest in real estate.

and there a some people who buy and sell vintage tamiya cars and parts to make profit.

it's up to anybody what he makes and gets out of this hobby.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...&cid=109865

Now that`s what a 2011 version of a Special Racing Buggy by Tamiya should have been - for me. It`s awesome.

If one guy can put this together in a garden shed in California, surely Tamiya can do something more interesting then just re-releasing their old SRBs.

Tamiya should hire that guy.

@ Outta Control, i think you mave have hit the nail on the head, it seems some people see vintage tamiya dealers as estate agents, who seem to be universally loathed. (unlike classic car dealers, i think?) i've met a few who are nice so i don't think they are all the same and wouldn't group them all together even if i hadn't. so why do the same with resellers or splitters, the market makes them on the whole, not the other way round. if they could create markets i think they would not have any time for dealing with tamiyas, just a though. ;)

@ axemandavva now that's what i was talking about. if you really want to be exclusive, it is possible. D-Sec your machine sir, is magnificent!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...&cid=109865

Now that`s what a 2011 version of a Special Racing Buggy by Tamiya should have been - for me. It`s awesome.

If one guy can put this together in a garden shed in California, surely Tamiya can do something more interesting then just re-releasing their old SRBs.

Tamiya should hire that guy.

This is the exact point I was trying to make. New offroad models that have the same soul as the vintage Tamiyas. Based on real example of offroad machines, just like they were 25+ years ago. This kind of model philosophy would make the $ part from my wallet once again.

Other manufacturers have done this to an extent, but they are not 1:10 scale. Kyosho went for larger than 1:10. Losi went for 1:16. Nice models, but why off scale? They don't fit with the rest of the 1:10 collection.

to me D-sec and the other builders are like saville row. tamiya used to be west end but now is high street fashion, not pound shop tough, sorry for the london specific references ;)

what i wanted to say is that some people deal with old mustangs, bristol, ferraris, aston martins etc. - classic cars.

it's a business like any other. there are some people who see classic cars as an investment like others invest in real estate.

and there a some people who buy and sell vintage tamiya cars and parts to make profit.

it's up to anybody what he makes and gets out of this hobby.

True, and I'm just pointing out that it's a high risk activity dealing in vintage tamiya cars and parts based on their rarity, when the parent company are liable to start remanufacturing said cars and parts in relatively large numbers at any given time, and it can't really be compared to the 1:1 vintage car market as the market conditions are completely different.

;)

I'm in classic cars, I trade classic cars, and i restore classic cars.

Let me tell you you do not make any money in that Either LOL!!!

Well, I think it's about buying cheap and selling expensive (if there is somebody to pay this).

So I can imagine it's pretty hard!

Some people do make money from RC. These individuals have a knack for spoting the collectibles. Sure most TC members will say this hobby should not be for investment purpose, but there will always be the exception. And if one can make money easily, we all be millionaires. The truth is most people do not know how to make money and only a very few that has good business sense, work hard plus some luck that makes it big. Just law of average every time.

Now getting back to the re-release. I just want the 3 spd Chevy Blazer re-release. The rest I couldn't less nor would I buy it. But i would take it if is free. :lol:

Some people do make money from RC. These individuals have a knack for spoting the collectibles. Sure most TC members will say this hobby should not be for investment purpose, but there will always be the exception. And if one can make money easily, we all be millionaires. The truth is most people do not know how to make money and only a very few that has good business sense, work hard plus some luck that makes it big. Just law of average every time.

Now getting back to the re-release. I just want the 3 spd Chevy Blazer re-release. The rest I couldn't less nor would I buy it. But i would take it if is free. :lol:

There are many hobby shops, online rc dealers who sell RC stuff and parts.

So, why not making money out of the vintage stuff.

Generally, everybody has the right to do what he likes to do (as long as it does not affect or discriminate anybody).

You never can make it right for anybody. Personally I feel the discussion is senseless. There are too much different opinions that cannot agree on one.

Where is that emoticon for 'clueless'

Probably hidden under your "I am a demi-god" avatar

Lighten up, they've only made 4 posts!

There is not a single part of the above post that I agree with. (*Edit, the OPs, not Tenzors)

I like the re-re's. In some cases I love them. They are great for a number of different reasons, and not only because of nostalgia. They allow people with normal salaries and financial commitments to own a car that they dreamed of when they were a kid, without paying over the odds for them. They're also a celebration of the original car and what it meant to old and new owners alike. From a practical point of view, in some (but obviously not all) cases they provide a source of parts for people with the original cars that want to get them back to a running condition without paying silly amounts of money.

As for innovation, Tamiya reusing chassis' is nothing new because they were doing that back in the 80s as well. Additionally a lot of the cars that ARE "different" and not seen before you don't see anyone talking about. When did you last see a Honda S800 in the showroom, or a M05 Fiat 500? Have you see a Mitsubishi Dakar DF01 in there recently either? No. The re-re's are popular, and much much more popular than the genuinely new stuff that Tamiya are bringing out, so it's fairly obvious that the bods at Tamiya think to themselves "Hey! We can churn out old stuff and it's more popular than new stuff. Well that's going to save us a fortune in R&D! Rock n Roll!".

The thing is, no one is forcing you to collect Tamiyas, so if your passion is collecting old and rare RC's why not switch to Kyoshos or something else?

Also the target market isn't at 30-40 year olds at ALL. Perhaps most of the people on this site are of that sort of age because most of us are indulging in the misty eyed passions of our teens, but the RC market as a whole is aimed a much wider demographic than that, and frankly, this is possibly another reason why Tamiya are churning out so many re-res, because the likes of HPI and Traxxas, and to a less extent Axial have already dominated the market with cars like the Slash, Savage, Stampede, EMaxx and Firestorm. These cars tend to be owned by people between 15 and 30, and I would say the marketing departments of those companies tune their advertising to that age group. I will say that perhaps that's where Tamiya have dropped the ball a little, and allowed these companies to dominate the market with ready to run very tough and high spec cars that will just take an awful lot of punishment rather than looking particularly realistic, which has generally always been Tamiyas forte.

I also disagree that the "golden age of RC is over". In so many ways there are parts of the hobby that are immensely superior to all that messing about with MSC's, NiCad batteries, BEC's and 27mhz radios. With electric cars now being more capable than their Nitro counterparts in terms of run time and power, battery chargers, waterproofing, the immense number of different companies making after market parts for not only Tamiyas but the other major players as well, as well as the internet making finding and getting hold of those parts that much easier, if anything I'd say the golden age of RC is right here and now!

I GET emotion and desire from all sorts of RCs, not just Tamiyas, and not just Tamiyas that were sold between 1979 and 1985. Im beginning to love the HB2010 even though its nothing like the original. I love my 4x4 Slash, and have just spent a fairly sizeable amount of cash buying a new body shell, wheels tyres and scale bits for it. I love my 3 Axial AX10s and all the various configurations that are available to me from one relatively simple platform. I'm getting excited about the upcoming project to modify and improve my stock Clodbuster into something faster, stronger and more capable, and I will still never forget the nervous excitement that was involved the whole process of receiving the box of, building, painting and sharing my re-re Sand Scorcher.

So. Rather than being stuck in an era that you're never going to get back, open your eyes and enjoy what we have now, because basically, we've never had it so good.

Amen! ;) One of the best postings I've ever read!!!

Maybe it is just me, but I feel that in the past time many people/collectors are selling their showrooms.

A sign of loosing interest in this hobby - maybe because of the Re-Re's ...

I see the hole Re-re like this!

1 owns a Blazing Blazer (BB) and sell it on ebay for £2000. Tamiya make a Re-re of the BB and sell 10 for £2000...

Of course they want in on their old models!!!

Or...

You build a car and sell 1000 of them for £1000. 10 years later someone who got the original sell it £30000

wouldn't you like to make some money then?

I would!!!

Badboy