rjsdavis

What's the best glue / method for sticking down lifting decals?

Massive apols if this topic has been covered before - I did do a search and couldn't see anything obvious that answered the question previously.

I've got a few models where some of the decals are lifting at some of the ends/corners, and didn't want to experience experimenting and making a mess! I'd be extremely grateful for any pointers (or general debate) to work which method or glue works best for sticking down lifting decals. These are where the decals are in general pretty good condition, and way, way short of pulling off and replacing! These have still got loads of life left in them.

Thanks in advance for any replies or pointers.

Hi mate. I have experienced the same problem. What I did to solve it is to cut tiny bits of the Tamiya double-sided decal that comes with newer kits and place it in between the body and lifted decal with a small tweezers. You just have to be careful and cut precisely the same shape of the lifted part of the decal you want to fix. The double sided decal is not thick so it leaves no traces at all. Hope that helps! Best of luck to you. :rolleyes:

double sided tape never works, peels up again.

I use Crazy glue i dip a pin into the glue and just get a drop put it under the lifted area and press down and try to keep the fingers away from the edges count to 30 and let go.

i works.

I've tried everything over the years. from double sided tape , rubber cement, and even Laminating over the decals with special clear tape.

they look good for a few days then the decal starts lifting off again.

every time i crazy glued the decal down it has lasted for years.

the trick is use an absolutely TINY amount and stay off the decal edges until the glue cures.

I've used a Popsicle stick to hold a small decal down while the glue cured.

And no probs with the paint, Dan? I'm curious about it.

The ones I fixed with double-sided tape have stayed there the last two years, but you might be right about the crazy glue.

Will have to check that out. :)

NOTE: PLEASE Verify this before you action!!!!!!!!

I recall a similar question being asked and i believe my good friend Qatmix said mild warm soapy water and a hair drier works. Clean the shell and the underside of the sticker with the water in a spray bottle then hair dry back down!?

send Qatmix a PM

Later

VV

I did a search and found his tip but still, send him a PM

I use boiling water. I've done it for 20 years. As long as you can peel the decal off you can then repair/paint the body. I keep the decal on a empty decal sheet, then just re apply them push them down and tip a kettle over each individual decal repress it down and dab it with kitchen paper. (then move onto the next decal, apply, kettle and dab.

Sometimes the decal might shrink but it's happened only a few times over all the years I've done it.

I was told this trick by a guy who used to run my local model shop when I was a lad. (obviously I would say you need to be very careful when doing it, as skin and boiling water = massive burns)

double sided tape never works, peels up again.

I use Crazy glue i dip a pin into the glue and just get a drop put it under the lifted area and press down and try to keep the fingers away from the edges count to 30 and let go.

it works.

I've tried everything over the years. from double sided tape , rubber cement, and even Laminating over the decals with special clear tape.

they look good for a few days then the decal starts lifting off again.

I've used decal softeners, i've used glue for water decals, i've tried heating the decal to the point i almost melts in an effort to keep it from curling, etc... always looks good for 2-3 days then lifts.

every time i crazy glued the decal down it has lasted for years.

the trick is use an absolutely TINY amount and stay off the decal edges until the glue cures.

I've used a Popsicle stick to hold a small decal down while the glue cured.

DO not use the gel, you have to use the Thin set stuff, the medium or thick glue sets will not work.

Thanks TamiyaDan - am going to give this a go.

I'm guessing that you're in the US from Crazy Glue and popsicle references? Does anyone know what the UK equivalent to this Crazy Glue is? Just want to make sure I buy the right stuff!

CA glue or Cyanoacrylate glue, super glue.

just remember it can go wrong REALLY fast if you make a mistake, DO NOT attempt to wash off the curing glue with water it will make the mistake 1000000000% worse.

water makes the glue cure, and impurities in the water will cloud the glue and get it all over the dame place.

DO not put the applicator on the decal and then slap it onto the model. first you will put way to much glue down and make a huge mess.

a microscopical amount of glue is required

if you screw up big time, Stop do nothing till it cures. then sand the decal and area off, repaint, and never speak of it again :)

Aah, right - got it. Superglue, as made by Loctite/Henkel over here.

Ok - will get onto this, and know exactly what you mean now about getting your grubby finger print on a dab of it! Thanks for the tip TamiyDan....

I usually use 'Wynns' electrical contact cleaner sprayed on a cotton bud (q-tip in the US) and gently clean the adhesive side of the sticker and the plastic underneath. Leave for a minute or so then lay it back down. This stuff will not harm polycarb/lexan.

I usually use 'Wynns' electrical contact cleaner sprayed on a cotton bud (q-tip in the US) and gently clean the adhesive side of the sticker and the plastic underneath. Leave for a minute or so then lay it back down. This stuff will not harm polycarb/lexan.

Cool - but how does this create a bond between the decal and the shell surface?

Basically, the glue is still on the decal, its just dirt. By gently cleaning the surface of the glue with a mild solvent, you are just taking away the dirty layer and exposing fresh adhesive. Its important not to over clean as you can effectively remove the adhesive. This process also works on any type of sticky stuff including double sided mounting pads. This method is not destructive and if it doesnt work, you can always try some of the other methods mentioned by other members.