Sign in to follow this  
bennyb

Hi all, i have just got a tto1 with the super-poo impreza shell and i wanted just to tweak it abit and ask a couple of stupid questions, I will only use it for abit of fun so im not after anything special so all i want is a good uprated motor, lipo battery maybe? and i wanted to know abit more about ESC's and if i would need one? and are racing bearings worth it for the less friction? could anyone please point me in the right direction and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ben

Hi all, i have just got a tto1 with the super-poo impreza shell and i wanted just to tweak it abit and ask a couple of stupid questions, I will only use it for abit of fun so im not after anything special so all i want is a good uprated motor, lipo battery maybe? and i wanted to know abit more about ESC's and if i would need one? and are racing bearings worth it for the less friction? could anyone please point me in the right direction and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ben

Fit ball bearings throughout first. Fitting a quicker motor, battery or ESC does not make sense unless you ball race the car first.

Two other key upgrades to consider for putting more power through a TT01 are a steel motor pinion, and an alloy prop shaft. The motor pinion in the kit is Aluminium. These wear out quite quickly, and when they do they cut the plastic gear they drive to pieces. The plastic prop shaft up the center of the car flexes under power. With too much power it will rattle and bash the chassis and this can also cause problems. In my experience the rest of the standard drive train can handle a fair amount of power without too many difficulties. When getting a pinion you should also consider how many teeth are correct for the motor you are going to fit, as faster motors may need a smaller pinion to work best.

Lipo batteries give vastly superior performance, but the chargers for these are pricey.

The MSC in the car can handle a sport tuned motor or a mildly hot brushed motor, but they do tend to burn out when you draw too much power through them. With hot motors I also sometimes find the low and medium speeds allowed by the MSC are too slow to be useable - the resistance is wrong. Changing the gearing can improve this. I think a LiPo battery with the MSC would be a bad idea. If you can afford an ESC it will save a lot of trouble and also give much better performance as well as control.

Choosing an ESC you need to consider if you want a brushed or brushless motor, and also whether you plan to use nicads or lipo - as not all ESC`s work with all these things.

I would say - get bearings, pinion, prop shaft and something like an ez-run brushless motor and ESC set up. This should make a tt01 fly and a great car for blasting up and down the street. (You may also need some nice soft tyres to improve the grip and driveability).

I`m not sure off the top of my head what motor winds/esc and pinion you should go for, hopefully somebody else will chip in here ... but if you put insane power in a tt01 it will eventually become hard to drive then you need to think about shocks, diffs, tyres, and upgrading the rest of the drive train to handle the power.

Thanks for the reply axemandavva, i have a 10a esc would it be worth fitting with say a bigger mah battery as mine is only 1900 and a sports tuned motor or the ez-run motor you said about? could you tell me the differents between a higher and lower turn motor? Thanks again

Oh, i have found a 20t motor from my old traxxas sledgehammer would that be any good if it would fit?

Thanks for the reply axemandavva, i have a 10a esc would it be worth fitting with say a bigger mah battery as mine is only 1900 and a sports tuned motor or the ez-run motor you said about? could you tell me the differents between a higher and lower turn motor? Thanks again

Battery capacity makes almost no difference to perfomance, only run time. a 3800 mah will give run times about twice as lot as a 1900. Some batteries can deliver a bit more current then others, and this does make a bit of a difference - but usually this is not something you`d notice in the street I think (unless you had a battery that was almost dead).

LiPo batteries can deliver a *lot* more current, which is why they give more speed and power. I believe LiPo batteries are rated according to the amount of constant current they deliver.

Generally lower wind motors rev higher, but have less torque. Generally a lower wind motor will make the car go faster when it reaches maximum revs - however if the gearing is wrong the motor may never be able to reach maximum revs and will accelerate slowly (a bit like trying to move off in a real car in top gear - the engine struggles). You address this by fitting smaller motor pinion, and/or larger second gear on most cars.

I don`t know about your ESC. Most of them come with a turn rating. 10A sounds quite low to me - what make is it?

The 20 turn motor you found will probably work ok in the car with the gearing you have. You might find it`s quicker as full speed and slower at the other two speeds on the MSC.

The Ez Run systems are a brushless motor and ESC combo, so you get both. I`ve never had one, but my mates swear by them for bashing and the performance they get is great. You can`t run a brushless motor without the correct type of ESC. I don`t know if the Ez Run systems can handle lipo batteries (anybody?) and what the alternate makes are out there.

But before doing any of this get a full set of ball bearings, strip the car down and fit them. They will make the biggest difference, and allow a faster motor to actually work properly. Sticking a powerful motor in a car with plastic bearings is a bit like asking an olympic sprinter to run in ski boots.

The EzRun ESCs can cope with LiPos - there's a warning with some of them about upgrading the fan, but I known some people have ditched the fan anyway...

Lipo chargers need not be expensive. The Turnigy Accucell 6 is perfect for lipo and Nics and Nims. These are cheap as chips on ebay. About £26. Well worth the investment I say.

thanks for the advise everyone, il start with bearings, prop, sports tuned motor (ezrun is to much for just running up and down the street) and higher mah battery just because my one lasts hardly anytime at all then il start playing about with the gearing till im happy. thanks again. and i will tell you what esc it is when i find it again.

thanks for the advise everyone, il start with bearings, prop, sports tuned motor (ezrun is to much for just running up and down the street) and higher mah battery just because my one lasts hardly anytime at all then il start playing about with the gearing till im happy. thanks again. and i will tell you what esc it is when i find it again.

You shouldn`t need to change the gearing with a sports tuned motor, and you probably won`t need the prop but do consider getting a steel pinion gear for the motor (I can`t remember where you get them - but search the forums as this comes up a lot)

When you have all the bearings and the motor in, if you put the car on a brick on the bench and take it up to full power you will be able to tell if the prop shaft is coping ok or if it is flexing too much and bashing the chassis.

Hay

Check out my post on a similar thread here

CLICK HERE

TBH the best thing you can do to ya TT01 to get max fun is!

First upgrades should be

Ball Race it (ball bearings all around)

CVA oil filled dampers

Alloy Drive shaft

steel pinion

Then the electrics, thats up to you! but bang for buck i would recommend these

13t (turn) EzRun brushless combo set Inc 35amp ESC and programme card about £40 inc delivery

Yeah Racing 20c Lipos 3200 or higher but these are a good set for about £30 for 2

iMax B6 Charger Lipo & NiMh, NiCad chaarger about £30 with 12v mains adapter

All can be found easily on the internet or ebay

I would recommend

Vellrip

Dinball/RcMart

Tony's Tamiya Parts

or general search the items

Once you have the brushless set, the charger and the lipos you will be all set up for any future RC purchases and you will get maximum fun out of your RC's ;-)

Also i would recommend cutting off the **** Tamiya style battery connectors and soldering on some Deans on the ESC and battery connectors to give better current flow and better performance for hardly any $$$

Hope this helps if you need any tips give me a shout.

Later

VV