Sign in to follow this  
shenlonco

2 new purchases... feeling old school

Hi guy's I been into RC' for a long time over 30 years now... and i just got the bug to go old school!! :)

I have a tamiya 2010 holiday buggy coming ... I seen this wicked video of one on you tube and it made me order one instantly!! reminded me of the good old days!!

And i had a hornet as a kid and i always seen the re release but never got one but after purchasing the new holiday buggy i bit the bullet and ordered me a hornet kit that i loved as a kid!!

any info on the holiday buggy would be great,,,, have a ? on the hornet on my original one i remember the chassis broke were the servo was in a place were there was a cut out in the chassis.. Does the new hornet still have this problem? are the plastics used all new types used like in the latest tamiya models?

THANKS

Shen

sorry i can't help but i can say well done on going old school always a great feeling no matter what :)

sorry i can't help but i can say well done on going old school always a great feeling no matter what :)

;) Thanks they should land here early next week!!

I'm not aware of the weak spot on the Hornet that you mention, but they are nearly indestructible, and as an adult you may find it difficult to destroy. :)

The DT-02 is a huge improvement in handling over the old Hornet and you'll love it! (Not slamming the Hornet, they are great buggies, but the DT-02 is much better handling and tough as old boots.)

The 380 motor might be a bit slow for you, but if you decide to upgrade to a 540, jump right past the silver can and go straight to a Sport Tuned motor - it works very nicely in this car with good speed and great battery life. Buy a steel pinion and bearings immediately for best results if you upgrade the motor. Careful not to use a real fast motor, as pinion/gearing choices are limited on this chassis and it is easy to overheat the ESC with an incorrect gear ratio. If you want a stupid fast buggy, the Holiday Buggy probably wouldn't be your first choice anyway, so probably not a big concern though.

Oil shocks are a huge improvement, but can come later if money is tight.

Carson tires/wheels look awesome on this buggy if you can get them where you live.

Welcome back and great purchases. How about a FAV re-re next?

Thanks for the info.

I am not looking to make these speed demons I have other RC's for that I just want them fast enough to be fun.

if you don't mind me asking Ware do you get the steel tamiya pinion gears that are needed for the HB and hornet?

If i recal those aluminum ones wear quickly and make all your gears in your gear box turn blackis gray!!

I has a super shot that would be neat to see again.

THANKS

I'm not aware of the weak spot on the Hornet that you mention, but they are nearly indestructible, and as an adult you may find it difficult to destroy. :)

The DT-02 is a huge improvement in handling over the old Hornet and you'll love it! (Not slamming the Hornet, they are great buggies, but the DT-02 is much better handling and tough as old boots.)

The 380 motor might be a bit slow for you, but if you decide to upgrade to a 540, jump right past the silver can and go straight to a Sport Tuned motor - it works very nicely in this car with good speed and great battery life. Buy a steel pinion and bearings immediately for best results if you upgrade the motor. Careful not to use a real fast motor, as pinion/gearing choices are limited on this chassis and it is easy to overheat the ESC with an incorrect gear ratio. If you want a stupid fast buggy, the Holiday Buggy probably wouldn't be your first choice anyway, so probably not a big concern though.

Oil shocks are a huge improvement, but can come later if money is tight.

Carson tires/wheels look awesome on this buggy if you can get them where you live.

Welcome back and great purchases. How about a FAV re-re next?

I get them at my local hobby shop or from Tower Hobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXEX02&P=7

There are some threads talking about where to get comparable steel pinions in the UK - they are not called Robinson Racing, but might be made by the same company under a different name? I will have a search for it or maybe someone in the UK can help out.

For 32p steel pinions you can also use Traxxas ones I think, but somebody should confirm that.

Hi thanks i though tamiya used afunky pitch like 49 pitch on there models i did not think they were 32pitch?

I get them at my local hobby shop or from Tower Hobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXEX02&P=7

There are some threads talking about where to get comparable steel pinions in the UK - they are not called Robinson Racing, but might be made by the same company under a different name? I will have a search for it or maybe someone in the UK can help out.

For 32p steel pinions you can also use Traxxas ones I think, but somebody should confirm that.

The older models were 32 pitch (or 0.6, close enough), and for some reason the DT02 is as well. I would have expected it to be 0.8 metric like the touring cars, considering the time in which it was designed.

Could it be that an RS380 powered, classic-bodied version of this chassis was planned from the start, so it was given 0.6/32 gears so a Grasshopper motor was a direct fit?

I have a old KO am EX-5 radio i think i used to use that in my hornet i may be mistaken it been so long ago... Think i should put it in for old time sake or am i better going with the new 2.4 tech?