ChrisPhilpot

QDS questions from a newbie

Hi everyone – I'm a long time Tamiya Club lurker, and brand new member.

I wonder if I could ask a question about the QDS series cars – in particular, the Mitsubishi Evo IV #46306. I owned one as a youngster and, during a recent clear-out, found it in a box along with its original battery and charger. Unfortunately, there were a couple of bits missing: the battery cover, which I guess isn't crucial, but rather more importantly the Tx has yet to make an appearance!

The 27MHz pistol-grip transmitter is one where frequency is changed by matching an A/B/C switch on both the Tx and the car.

Would a replacement have to be from the very same model of car, or would one of any of that series of QDS cars suffice? (I recall they all had an A/B/C Tx in the box.)

I'd love to get it going again – I know it's not much by the standards of the great models seen on this site, but I have a 7-year-old nephew who'd certainly enjoy mucking about with it in the park – but obviously without the transmitter (and to a lesser extent the battery cover) it's not going anywhere. My plan, if you're able to help confirm which Tx I need, is then to scour eBay. (I'd probably consider getting a used car and Tx and keeping one for odds and sods.)

Hope you can help, and many thanks in advance. :)

Slightly shameless bump, but I've been trying to read up on the QD/QDS cars (are they one and the same?) via this forum to try and self-medicate, as it were.

I see at least one member has been able to get a QD Clod Buster going from a similar position to me, and eBay has a couple of QDS cars for sale sans transmitters. If anyone can give me a definitive answer and/or recommend a course of action (or indeed anywhere other than eBay to get hold of whatever I need to get this car going again) I'd be really appreciative.

Heck, if someone's got an old QDS Tx sitting around feel free to make me an offer! :D

On an unrelated note (but not wanting to start another thread and spam the forums):

The bug has bitten and I can see why so many of you love Tamiya. Unable to find the aforementioned QDS Tx and contrary to my request for a roller in the 'wanted' forum, I've decided to bite the bullet and order a Hornet in kit form, to learn how to put it together without screwing it up! :(

This post is really to ask if anyone has any tips or advice for a newbie. I've bought metal bearings which I'll fit in place of the kit-supplied plastic bushings. Any other helpful hints? Mistakes you made as a beginner that I could learn from? etc. etc. All will be warmly and gratefully received. :)