Sign in to follow this  
miramar

Appropriate body for a VERY basic TL01?

For fun I have built one TL01 with all available Tamiya hop-ups, using the best parts whereever there is an option between different hop-ups for the same purpose. I've topped it off with a Altezza Racing carbon-look body to go with the hightech [;)] scheme.

To accompany it, I've built another TL01 and on purpose kept it stock except for ballbearings. I really want to make it look as plain as possible to emphasize the difference between the two models. They are both going to stay shelf-queens. So my question is, what body do you think would be appropriate for the basic TL01? I've thought of the Lexus IS200 as it is the basic version of the Altezza Racing, but I don't know. It should be a Tamiya body, but if any of you have a suggestion for a non-Tamiya body that would look very basic but exceptionally good on a basic TL01, I would consider it. Any suggestions for colours would of course be equally welcome.[:)]

sounds like fun!

On the hopped-up car I would have done the carbon-look thing on the hood(like lots of the high-tech 1-1 cars) and left the rest of the body clear except for applying stickers.

For the basic car I would use the Lexus IS200 as you suggested, leaving it totally clear with the exception of the stickers.

This would give good contrast between the high tech and lowtech cars, and would allow you to see the different chassis without taking the bodies off, would probably make a nice display.

-Anthony

Sounds like a very nice idea.

So miramar, do you have access to cheap parts? This must be quite an expensive excercise.

Thanks a lot for the tips! The Altezza Racing "carbon-look" body comes factorypainted with the carbon-pattern, so it's no way I can make it half painted.

As for cheap models and parts, I didn't have to pay for Tamiya items at all, or sometimes just very little, as it was still my work. After I quit and moved to Germany, I found myself a new source which sells me Tamiya at approx. 40% below German retail prices. That's the way I got the newest TL01 parts too, like the TL01LA suspension which was issued after I moved. Now having to pay for Tamiya items, I don't do as many silly projects as I used to, and concentrate on things I really want.

Thats exactly what I've been trying to do, my local indoor racetrack takes body shells quite serious, to the point that you can't race unless you have a touring car body shell.

I have been looking for an Austin Allegro body-shell with no luck.

So if anybody out there finds one??

I would have to agree with you Mirimar - the Lexus is by far one of the most "standard" looking (boring[;)]), looking shells that they do.

Something like a CLK or NSX could look good though - to keep with the "racing" theme... [?]

Cheers

Darryn

for racing and shelf:

For me I would choose Tamiya NSX as first choice and F360 as 2nd.

top.jpg

A TRD Altezza would also look cool..trd1.jpg

Yeah I am a huge fan of the Raybrig Team Kunimitsu racing team, so I would buy a Tamiya Raybrig NSX 2002, or maybe even the new Tamiya NSX Carbon Pattern. But for the stock TL01 it has to be a road car, that way it shows as much difference as possible between the two versions. I would buy the IS200 and paint it either a nice dark metallic blue or maybe Gun Metal. That way u have a road verion IS200 and the full on Racing version, just like a real Touring/GT car.

Going off topic here but, has anyone noticed that Tamiya never ever released a Spare Body set for the Raybrig NSX 99. They released a 98, a 2000 and the new 2002, but no 1999 body. How come?? I thought at first it was cause it was its a limited edition chassis, but so was the Pennzoil R34 GT-R and they still released a body set for that.

Thanx

Jimbo

:)

how about a smashed up shell for it. Thats what you normally see on these basic tamiyas. You choice what colour sticky tape you use to mend it though. [;)]

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy_GT-R

Going off topic here but, has anyone noticed that Tamiya never ever released a Spare Body set for the Raybrig NSX 99. They released a 98, a 2000 and the new 2002, but no 1999 body.

:)

id="quote">id="quote">

hehe And a huge price for the 99 kit as well.