Neo Tamiya

Holiday Buggy 2010 motor upgrade?...

Guys ...i'm on with my steady build of this awesome Tamiya kit!!... :angry:

I opted for full bearings & i have a quality set of alloy shock to fit this chassis already!!...pics to follow soon..

I have a dilema & i'm kinda baffled here....i also upgraded the motor to a tamiya mabuchi 540-J motor (upgrade kit from modelsport)..comes with 16t + 17t pinion gear & the all important shim..

Problem is when fitted/motor in the 17t slot as per destructions..the pinion is about 2mm away from being in mesh with the final drive/spur???...what gives here guys?? these must be the wrong type pinions??....please help!

Thankyou all Tamiya Fans!!.

See..this piccy!!.. :)

011.jpg

Lets start the kit!!!...in the comfort of my garage!!..

004-1.jpg

Someone kindly gave me these Official Tamiya tools!! yay!!..

003.jpg.

More to follow!!.

It's the wrong gear pitch... you have a 17 tooth 0.8 module pinion, meant for the touring cars. You need a 17 tooth 0.6 module or 32 pitch pinion. And don't get one from Tamiya; find a steel one.

Hi i just finished my holiday buggy and put a stock 540 motor in it and it's much FUN to drive now with the 380 it was to much of a slug!!! yours should be a hair faster with the J motor also.

I used a 17 tooth robinson racing and on my hornit a 18 tooth traxxas I think traxxas pinions are better they are wider and hit more of the spur gear....Get a traxxas E-max 17 Tooth 32 pitch pinon it will be good.

Here is mine.

post-11941-1314474304_thumb.jpg

post-11941-1314474327_thumb.jpg

It's the wrong gear pitch... you have a 17 tooth 0.8 module pinion, meant for the touring cars. You need a 17 tooth 0.6 module or 32 pitch pinion. And don't get one from Tamiya; find a steel one.

Wrong way around.

The touring cars like the TT01 have a 0.6 module pinion (what Neo Tamiya bought). You need a 0.8 module pinion for the DT02 Holiday Buggy.

Avoid Tamiya aluminium 0.6 module and 0.8 module pinions like the plague. The aluminium is soft, will wear quickly and destroy the spur gear.

Better is to use steel 32dp pinions. ARW3200-17 and ARW3200-19 are the part numbers from modelsport. 32dp is so close to 0.8 module it's hard to measure the difference. The 19 tooth pinion is probably best with a standard silvercan 540, but as these are cheap I recommend you buy both the 19 and 17 tooth.

Wrong way around.

The touring cars like the TT01 have a 0.6 module pinion (what Neo Tamiya bought). You need a 0.8 module pinion for the DT02 Holiday Buggy.

Duh. I knew that. Us 'Mericans ain't got no fancy metric system. I always get those backwards.

Ok guys...just finished my HB~2010 Today!!..yay.. :lol: ...all detailing done & i'm just waiting for my correct pinion set to arrive..

Is there some kind of cover/filter that fits over the end of the motor?...i ask..as there's a few screw holes dotted around that?...

What an enjoyable build!!...although yesterday faffing around with the std suspension block dampers..(worse than the LB!?)...i decided to ditch them..fortunatley i had a top quality set of alloy racing shocks in the drawer!!..i forgot about!? B) ...so i proceeded to strip them down & changed the shock oil (it was like sludge!)...there were no leaks from these & seals were in great shape & pistons etc, re-filled with fresh silicone oil & bled...wow the suspension is superb now!!...ride heights set & this should corner like a dream.

Motor Upgrade to a 540J..& Full ball~bearing set added....digital steering 3kg servo....i chose to use an old servicable traditional stick set for this/crystals etc!!..(futaba).

Tracked up & ready for the club this sunday...it a great astroturf track & has a high rostrum...cannot wait to run this Tamiya around it!!.

The pin spiked tyres will be perfect for that....guys i'm exited!!!...i'll stick with the wide tack, as i'll what to go round corners at speed....i remember my old HB being a bit poor in this department...& robustness!.

I'll see how it handles being used for what it was meant for.. ;)

Holidaybuggy008.jpg

Holidaybuggy002.jpg

Holidaybuggy004.jpg

Holidaybuggy003.jpg

Watch this space for a full track report!!.

Looking good :o! Sadly there isn't anything to cover the end of the motor but I made one outs of brass amd a sponge, I'll post a pic tomorrow and there is 'How To's' on the main site. Glad you got your pinion troubles fixed.

Remember you need to put the pinion on. motor backwards so it matches up perfictly with gear.(shows you on hop up page in hol buggy manual

UPDATE FROM MY POST ABOVE

DO not use traxxas 32P pinion gears they do not mesh properly and are loud ONLY USE ROBINSON RACING THERE THE BEST.

ONLY USE ROBINSON RACING THERE THE BEST.

RW Racing work just as good and are usually easier to get if you're in the UK. RW Racing are made in the UK. Robinson Racing are made in the US.

:P Yea those do sound very good but i am in the USA...

Mark do you know if the RW pinions are wide like the stock tamiya ones because with robinson racing they are not as wide and they don't hit the full spur gear width... only thing i don't like to much on the RR pinions.

RW Racing work just as good and are usually easier to get if you're in the UK. RW Racing are made in the UK. Robinson Racing are made in the US.

The OP is in the UK, hence why I said RW Racing pinions. They're pretty much the same as the Robinson Racing ones. Just a bit narrower than the spur gear.