Sign in to follow this  
scorcher-tec

What Gearbox

Hi All

I am sure this topic has been covered somewhere but i never get much success searching the forums.

I am planning a custom built off road rc and need a good gearbox/dif as a starting point want a good strong one for brushless power also easy to get parts for. It does need to be available now so a vintage one would be impractical.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I think the other things that we'd need to know is whether you plan on going 4WD or 2WD, what scale you're going to be looking at and if you're going 4WD one or two motors?

Mad Bull box is absolutely bomb proof, but it is a live axle. Clod buster box is also pretty indestructable.

A hornet gear box is tough a nails and very modular , it comes with shock mounts and pivot point , nothing wrong with a live axle set up ..

The problem with the Hornet box is the limited suspension travel due to the slotted mounts it needs at the front - If you use a Hornet box, you also then have to make a separate shock tower assembly and allow for a third shock too

A DT-02 gearbox would be an alternative to the Traxxas, both would be simpler to mount than the Hornet, although I personally would stick with the Traxxas purely for the availability of parts and 'options', adjustable gear ratios etc.

if you just use the hornet diff , you can make the suspension travel as long as you like , its all how you attach it to what ever you use as a chassis ...but , if it's just a box your after , you can use a rc10 or losi 2wd buggy gear box they are held onto the chassis by 4 screws and have the advantage of a slipper clutch and dog bone out drives . if a motor mount is needed , you can use the rear of the chassis as well .

if you just use the hornet diff , you can make the suspension travel as long as you like , its all how you attach it to what ever you use as a chassis ...but , if it's just a box your after , you can use a rc10 or losi 2wd buggy gear box they are held onto the chassis by 4 screws and have the advantage of a slipper clutch and dog bone out drives . if a motor mount is needed , you can use the rear of the chassis as well .

along similar lines the Duratrax Evader EX/BX/EVX/ST gearbox/rear end is also a simple 4 screw bolt on affair - uses a slipper clutch and plenty of gearing options via different gear sets. You can normally pick up a Durartrax car pretty cheap on ebay (got mine for £10), and www.end-of-line-rc.com are currently selling off their spares for peanuts. The plastic quality is fantastic, comparable to Tamiya TRF quality (and covered originally be 12 month no quibble breakage warranty). Their basic components are the same across their stadium truck and buggy range, so you can easily fit longer ST wishbones / dogbones for wider track and either buggy or ST shock towers to get the correct shock angles/height etc.

http://www.end-of-line-rc.com/cars/option-....html?limit=all

you can download the manuals from the Duratrax website.

Parts might be limited to US suppliers only going forward though :o