andy_t

What is it about the Lunchbox?

Hello there,

joined the forum the other day (intro post in the Re-re forum: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63591), having re-bought a Hornet 27 years after mum and dad sprung for the original in exchange for what felt like a lifetime of cleaning cars and drains. The old Hornet is still around somewhere, in pieces, but the new one is so close that I unintentionally recalled various moments of the construction sequence (where I was at the time, what was on TV - Dempsey & Makepeace if any Brits are wondering, the colour of the carpet in the front room, you name it) so faithful is the kit reproduction.

I'd like to look after the Hornet this time, and run it only from time to time for nostalgia purposes. So am thinking of a backyard basher to play with. I used to hanker after a Subaru Brat, and the re-re looks great but the chassis is higher-maintenance. I see so many posts about the Lunchbox, a car I never really "got" the first time round as it was neither a buggy nor a truck, looked like it would tip over even more often than the Hornet does, and had a daft name. But it's very popular. What's the appeal? Is the body so light that its apparent height is actually dynamically irrelevant? What's the ground clearance like? The chassis is Hornet-related by the looks of it, and that can barely control the movement of its skinny front wheels when it's on the jazz (comments I also read about the Mad Bull). So does it manage with the fat wheels of the LB?

Comments welcome. I was considering a Mad Bull, but despite having such a low-profile body that it could almost run upside-down, have been put off by some "it's a toy" comments I've read, which might be unfair. Anyone fancy chipping in? Am genuinely intrigued.

Great forum, BTW. Looking forward to contributing at least as much as I get from it!

Andy,

welcome to the forum! Sounds like you had a brilliant time during your build.

Never having owned a LB or a WW, I can only guess that the attraction lies in the wheelie fun-factor. Lately, I have found my self wanting to get a WW2...

The Lunchbox is just a hoot to drive. I've heard various descriptions here on TC, but the two that stick with me as absolutely true, but still capturing the essence of the Lunchie are these:

1. Naff-handling, wheelie-popping, fun machine; and

2. Comically absurd performance

Both true, but honestly that is the whole point. High performance machines they are not. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face - YES.

The Mad Bull is a bone simple 2wd buggy with Lunchbox tires that allows it to go about anywhere, and they are tough as old boots. The only thing you're likely to damage is the hard plastic body, but they will take some serious abuse. Tons of fun with a quick motor (even something as tame as a sport tuned motor.)

I think the appeal of the Lunchbox is just goofy handling and go anywhere ease of use. Parks, beach, driveway, lawn, dirt lot, street - whatever you have available the Lunchbox will work. Not much to break other than the hard plastic body which usually gets banged up pretty bad. The Lunchie spends a lot of time upside down but it is just hilarious watching it bounce around. Feed a retarded squirrel a can of Red Bull and strap roller blades to his feet and you're not far from how the Lunchbox handles. :unsure:

I would (and have) run the Hornet and buy the similar and prettier Grasshopper to keep nice.....

Well, that's what I did at first. But I ended up with two of each; one to show and one to run..

I'd strongly advise you track down a Wild Willy 2 instead, more interesting build (lunchbox has no real differences from the hornet) WW2 handles better, still pops wheelies and has comic handling. Of all the cars I've run out and about in public places it's always been the one to attract the most attention and put the biggest smile on my face hands down :)

James

I will have to agree with BeetleLover on this.

The Wild Willy 2 is a much cooler machine in all aspects i think..As mentioned, more interesting to build, and even though it looks really funny bouncing around, it also has a better "racing" capability compared to the ´box in my opinion. :)

Cheers..

Michael

For me, I prefer more realistic looking models. That's why I like the Lunchbox. It looks like the old school monster trucks of the 80's (google Rollin thunder monster truck). Like the others said, they are big, goofy fun. The do roll over quite easily and bounce around but put some oil shocks in and it will handle better. Never owned a wild willy so can't comment but the do look fun. I own a Frog and I find the brat/frog chassis the least maintenance out of all chassis types I own. You could always get a brat and put bigger wheels on it and make it a Mud Blaster. Whatever way you go, you'll have fun.

:) My lunch box just came in the mail today!!

started putting her together already.... have to wait for ball bearings to land here!!!

I had one when i was little so i decided to get and build one again long live the lunch box!!

Yeah the LB is just pure fun.... doesn't handle well at all but if you want that go everywhere car it is it.

Although the CVA's and lowering the front slightly does help in the handling department along with a few other mods.

Never had a WW but I myself wouldn’t mind a WW2

Thanks for the replies!

It's a toss-up between the Brat (fulfilling a long-term "want", that one) and a LB. The Brat certainly fixes some stuff that was lacking the first time - it has a lexan running body, a bigger motor and a differential - but while the chassis is more tunable and probably better designed than the Hornet's, it's still similar in many respects (low CoG, a bit bouncy at the rear, not much weather protection). So I dunno. If I get a Lunchbox and occasionally stick the wheels on the Hornet, I'll have a cro-magnon Mad Bull then...

Last Q, honest. Can anyone tell me what other bodies fit the LB chassis...?

Thanks for the replies!

It's a toss-up between the Brat (fulfilling a long-term "want", that one) and a LB. The Brat certainly fixes some stuff that was lacking the first time - it has a lexan running body, a bigger motor and a differential - but while the chassis is more tunable and probably better designed than the Hornet's, it's still similar in many respects (low CoG, a bit bouncy at the rear, not much weather protection). So I dunno. If I get a Lunchbox and occasionally stick the wheels on the Hornet, I'll have a cro-magnon Mad Bull then...

Last Q, honest. Can anyone tell me what other bodies fit the LB chassis...?

Midnight Pumpkin bodies will fit on but will require different body posts. The Pajero whe its rereleased will fit too.

Here is a couple of pics of the fun we have with Lunchboxes

21082011433-1.jpg

thornesidebash9thjuly072.jpg

ormistonbash013.jpg

Lunchboxes are FUN, thats it, check this out:

]

Hahaha, love that simpsons lunchy! Thats the other great thing about Lunchy's- Customization!

I absolutely love my Lunch Box, with a few *minor* modifications it's a real hoot to drive despite the terrible bump steer, bounciness and stone-age design. To be frank, I actually bought mine just so that I could do a wheely!

Despite that, I went ahead and got a lexan shell just because I don't feel like wincing every time it flips... :)

What is it about the MadBull and Lunchbox?

They're both Madder than a Box of Frogs. And their gearboxes are less likely to fall to pieces.