Bromers65

My Rough Rider Project

Well, couple of weeks ago i managed to bag an original rough rider off fleabay. Price was ok, considering i had been hankering after one for a very long time and finally decided to commit to getting one. Heres a pic of how it was listed:

rough.jpg

Looks tired and a bit used. So, i was ok with what i got it for and thought well just will do a full resto when i get it.

It turned up few days later and all i can say is a nice suprise followed. When i started to explore and clean a little it turns out the car had literally been used a couple times, gathered a bit of muck and been chucked in the attic for a very very long time!!! The speed controller is literally mint, showing hardly any signs of use. Everything on it is literally great condition. All that needs replacing is tyres (front are well cracked with time) and a few joints here and there.

Heres a pic of the rear and chassis after dis-assemble, havent split the case yet;

DSC00172.jpg

So i was trying to decide what to do with this model. By trade i restore Volkswagens (1:1) and a big part of me was leaning towards a full and original resto. Alot of you will probably say "do it, thats the best thing" but as you get to know me i dont go with the flow and like to do my own thing.

So i have decided to build an updated version of this legendary model. Before i go on, i want to make clear, i will be restoring all the parts back to showroom condition enabling me to put it back to stock spec when ever i want or need. Being it didnt come with a body shell i will source an original (rough rider) and restore so it is ready to put on if desired.

My plan is to build a hard as nails baja bug in the vain of the true Baja racers. My daily 1:1 Beetle that i run is a 1967 Rat look bug with fully restored chassis and hot 2.0l twin carbed motor. heres a pic of her;

front_view.jpg

I have bought a cheap runner body, and am going to paint and detail it in the rat style of my Bug. It will be aged and have a hard as nails look, like its done countless hard desert races!

DSC00169.jpg

The chassis is going to have uprated Shocks, a warm motor (havent decided on which yet) and will be able to cope with most scenario's.

Heres a pic of the front end after re-assembly with the new chassis i am going to use for running. Detail on this model is going to be what it all about;

DSC00173.jpg

Uprated shocks and various hop up options are on the way in the post, along with the few bits i need to restore the original parts back to pristine condition.

I will updated on build and show any progress. My whole idea was to build an updated version, but still able to return back to stock spec should i desire. I will be using this car once completed, it certainly isnt going to be a shelf queen!!! :(

Any thoughts or idea's?????

Oh my - the chassis looks factory new! As a VW beetle restore guy, you probably have a lot of neat tools at your disposal.

Subscribed! :(

Nice work. I remember watching that lot go thru eBay a few weeks ago. I was part way through my first SRB rebuild at the time, now complete. I'm on my second now with another rough rider waiting collection from the post office! They are addictive lol!

Excellent Score! Enjoy the resto! This will not be your last!

I agree they are addictive. I had to delete vintage SRB's from my Ebay search list to prevent me buying more. lol. I have about 14 chassis in various conditions, MKI's and MKII's. The SRB addiction.

Thanks for the comments guys, indeed is my first and am sure it wont be my last! May consider getting a re re next and heavily modding it. Could never do that to an original!

Anyway, havent got much done this weekend as have been busy at the garage, but did get a couple of bits done. New shocks arrived in post, and i managed to split the case and clean up all the running gear and back end.

Heres some pics of the chassis mocked up after front end and rear have been dismantled, cleaned, checked and re-assembled. When i split the case it was like brand new in there, its has literally been used once or twice. When re-assembled have fitted uprated bearings all round and the new shocks, removing the torsion bars and front springs.

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

Next will be sourcing a new motor thats a bit pokier, stripping down again and soda blasting all the parts to get super clean then paint. Not sure what to do re wheels. Was going to just splash out and get some alloys from somewhere, but part of me thinks maybe i should keep the old scabby ones (with new tyres of course) as it will help with the hard as nails baja look. Think i will leave that decision til last once the body is done.

Will post any updates this week.

Nice front shocks! What brand and item code / number are they? Do they provide effective damping action? Any modifications needed or do they fit straight on with no mods needed?

Same questions for the rear shocks!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Cool resto, and looks good already.... ;)

Will follow you on this.

I have been thinking the same to my re-re Sand Scorcher when i build her. Modding with better shocks and bits and pieces... :angry:

Thanks guys, and dont worry the tyres are going with new ones in their place!! :lol:

Just purchased my second original scorcher, doesnt need resto this time but will be modding it to my own spec soon.

Think i'm addicted now!

Think i'm addicted now!

It'll never end mate - I've got one rough rider 99% complete, a Scorcher 80% complete, another rough rider 95% complete and period original with wear n tear plus enough parts for a complete chassis and 50% of another !

And i've embarked on a Monster Beetle today :lol:

It'll never end mate

This is so true!

I am now up to 2 runners, one resto and 2 in box's for future projects, + a ton of stuff on its way! :lol:

Its so hard to keep away from this site, so many ideas! :lol:

I got 11 srb's!!! ELEVEN!!! I just can't stop buying them!!!

Nice work on your resto!

Badboy

I got 11 srb's!!! ELEVEN!!! I just can't stop buying .

Makes me feel soooooo much better lol!

Ok well here is a long overdue update. Havent really done much to my SRB, the garage has been chocoblock with pre-winter services so all my spare time has been working on the real versions of VW Beetles :lol:

So, New front tyres have arrived, custom ones made by a certain person from this forum B) Have cleaned up front wheels, fitted new bearings and fitted new tyres. Looking rather dapper. New rears are in the post on the way and same treatment for them once they arrive. All four tyres will be lettered. Have ordered esc, sport tuned tamiya motor (I already have the instructions ready to fit this when it arrives, i am aware i have to modify the gearbox where the motor goes)

I have started to make my own custom front bumper/battering ram! :D Could have easily bought something off fleabay or such like, but wanted to make it myself.

As you can see from the pictures it is still in mock up stage. Found this rather cool diamond plated ali sheeting at my local hardware store. Is perfect for that scale hard as nails look.

Excuse the rough edges etc. Main thing was to get it to fit properly first. This has all be done my hand, no big drills or saws involved. Prefer to work that way.

Bumper1-1.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

Bumper3.jpg

Will take a bit off the end to make it shorter, and tidy the edges up at the weekend at the garage with some decent tools ;) . Have bought some thin ali piping that was at the same hardware store and is perfect scale to go on the bumper. So will cut and fit all that at the weekend. Not sure of design yet, will just wing it and make it up as i go along.

having lots of fun doing this. Once Bumper is sorted, will strip down again, fit new motor, paint, and fit radio gear etc. Then its on to the body! Slowy getting there.

Great work your doing, I'm really keen to see how this front bumper turns out.. I've got some great ideas for SRB front bumpers but just don't have the right equipment to make them..

Yours sounds cool..

ps. Nice set of front tyres, I wonder who you got those from... :lol:

Yeah i wonder :lol: great product, they really give it that beefier look i wanted.

You really dont need many tools to do the bumper. £9 metal saw from B&Q and a few smaller drill bits is all i have used to far. To sort the rough edges out will just use some metal files i have at the workshop. Not sure what to do with the ali pipe, whether to fix something together using nuts and bolts or to solder/braze. will see. But it all done by eye and hand, no engineering tools here :D

Yeah i wonder :lol: great product, they really give it that beefier look i wanted.

You really dont need many tools to do the bumper. £9 metal saw from B&Q and a few smaller drill bits is all i have used to far. To sort the rough edges out will just use some metal files i have at the workshop. Not sure what to do with the ali pipe, whether to fix something together using nuts and bolts or to solder/braze. will see. But it all done by eye and hand, no engineering tools here :D

was the diamond plate from B&Q ? looks ideal for new bumpers for my own baja blitzer mate. Re the fixings how about u bolts ? just bolt the alloy tube on

Yes mate, diamond plate was from there. is good stuff but a bit pricey. But you could make quite a few bumpers out of one sheet.

Will prolly use bolts and bolt the sheet to the ali tubing. Will let you know how i get on tomorrow!

Yes mate, diamond plate was from there. is good stuff but a bit pricey. But you could make quite a few bumpers out of one sheet.

Will prolly use bolts and bolt the sheet to the ali tubing. Will let you know how i get on tomorrow!

i feel a trip to B&Q coming on lol , cheers buddie