Sign in to follow this  
Singapore_959

THAT question

Many times here on TC we have discussed the question of how important is RC to Tamiya's overall business.

The Head of export, oversight of Tamiya USA and one of the overall management team at Tamiya, was at the 2011 Tamiya Euro Finals in Switzerland.

So I decided to ask him.

In terms of importance to the business RC accounts for 45 - 50% of Tamiya.

So there we have it. Much higher than we generally seem to have thought, here on TC.

That's pretty big and gives some insight into perhaps why re-re's have come along. RC is not a niche at all. Its a main part of the business.

It was pretty cool meeting him and talking to him. I mentioned Tamiyaclub! :o:)

And you know what the last thing he said to me was?

"Thank you for buying our products."

:lol: :lol: :):unsure: I think that is pretty darn cool. Really really nice to hear a company, and one of its worldwide heads, say that to you.

- and no, I didn't ask about manuals.

To be honest I didn't think the focus of Tamiyas market was ever under any doubt. I'd say they were better known for their RC kit than their static models by most people, even though they've been making the static models for much longer and the things they originally sold when they first went in to business. In all honesty I'm surprised the RC share of their business is as low as it is, and I'd be willing to bet that with the competition upping it's game and Tamiya not really doing anything to respond to that in recent years, it's probably dropped a fair margin from what it was.

If you ask me, "THAT" question for Tamiya isn't, "How much of a niche is the RC market", but "How much to the demands of TamiyaClub posters influence your forthcoming release decisions?". It's the one question that appears to generate the most disagreement and controversy if you ask me :D

If you ask me, "THAT" question for Tamiya isn't, "How much of a niche is the RC market", but "How much to the demands of TamiyaClub posters influence your forthcoming release decisions?". It's the one question that appears to generate the most disagreement and controversy if you ask me :D

...and the second most important question would be "How much of that 45/50% market share is currently taken up by re-releases?"....because it would not surprise me at all if the gems from back in the day are helping to keep the company out of a financial hole in this very harsh economic climate. I have a feeling that the global downturn has an awful lot to do with the reason for Tamiya aggressively ramping up their re-release quota over the last 24 months, which is of course just fabulous for us lot. God bless those moronic bankers. :D

To get an ideal how the various products by Tamiya have on its total revenue, just look at how many pages on its catalogue are devoted to that particular product. Since Tamiya used to have a catalogue specifically for RC and one catalogue for static, educational stuff, paint and Minz stuff, I would guess the percentage of Revenue in relation to total would be quite close. So around 50% is from RC is reasonable. Lets face it, if I am the head of the Minz department and I am bring in 30% of the revenue, I would want 30% of the catalogue devoted to my product.

Tamiya will always need to keep its existing customers and attract new ones. Like MacDonalds, attract new customers / kids happy meal with a toy; keep exisitng customers or the ones that grew up with MacDonalds back in the early / mid 70's... Salads, sandwiches light meals besides burgers.

TC offers free market surveys from trends, pricing to reviews for Tamiya for its RC products.

As for how Tamiya's RC compares to other brand? Go to ebay and see how many products by brand/make are available compare to Tamiya. I recall Tamiya seems to have much much more products on ebay than all other brand combined.

As for how Tamiya's RC compares to other brand? Go to ebay and see how many products by brand/make are available compare to Tamiya. I recall Tamiya seems to have much much more products on ebay than all other brand combined.

That's only because they've been around longer than most of the others!

One other key point too is how often do you see Traxxas Slash's, Axial AX10s and the like on ebay? Not very often. That has nothing to do with a lack of market share, and more to do with the fact that they're good and people are less likely to want to sell them!

Seriously you cannot use Ebay to guage how well or not something new is selling.

Well this was interesting:

I received this email today:

"Hi!

I noticed your post about "THAT question". You have to be either unbelievably stupid or terribly cynical to write something like this.

First of all, what you asked is "THAT question" to you and a few TC-members, not to the majority of Tamiya enthusiasts.

Secondly, the person you asked, if you really tell the truth about who he is, would of course not answer the truth so specifically about such a question from a complete stranger. In other words, the figure he told you will deliberately be incorrect to protect Tamiya's interests.

And you were impressed because he said; "Thank you for buying our products."

What would that be to be impressed about. He's a salesman for God's sake, and just like any McDonalds employee, he will have a few empty but polite phrases ready for anyone who bothers him with stupid questions he possibly can't answer with the truth.

Of course, you are meanwhile very well known at TC for your disgusting bragging, lies, bellybutton-watching and naivety, and a few people actually seem to believe you. For all others, you're an ridiculous empty shell.

Colin"

Sent from Colin Stevens

I have his email address which ends with sth.co.uk, it looks like he sent me the email via TC but I am not sure how since the email says "THIS MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN SENT FROM A KNOWN/LOGGED-IN MEMBER OF TamiyaClub."

"Hi!

I noticed your post about "THAT question". You have to be either unbelievably stupid or terribly cynical to write something like this.

First of all, what you asked is "THAT question" to you and a few TC-members, not to the majority of Tamiya enthusiasts.

Secondly, the person you asked, if you really tell the truth about who he is, would of course not answer the truth so specifically about such a question from a complete stranger. In other words, the figure he told you will deliberately be incorrect to protect Tamiya's interests.

What would that be to be impressed about. He's a salesman for God's sake, and just like any McDonalds employee, he will have a few empty but polite phrases ready for anyone who bothers him with stupid questions he possibly can't answer with the truth.

Of course, you are meanwhile very well known at TC for your disgusting bragging, lies, bellybutton-watching and naivety, and a few people actually seem to believe you. For all others, you're an ridiculous empty shell.

Colin"

Sent from Colin Stevens

I have his email address which ends with sth.co.uk, it looks like he sent me the email via TC but I am not sure how since the email says "THIS MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN SENT FROM A KNOWN/LOGGED-IN MEMBER OF TamiyaClub."

Singapore, you have my sympathies. This seems to be happening more often, whereby a complete muppet messages a cowardly personal attack via email rather than having the balls to do anything like it on the forums. It happened to me a few months ago too. Keep the faith good buddy, helmets like our Colin are thankfully few & far between within this community.

Good grief, not sure what his beef is, but you obviously touched a nerve. Still the one thing they do say is that there is only one thing worse than hatred, and that's disinterest.

In that vein, probably best to just ignore the attention seeking end-of-a-bell and let him stew on the naughty step.

Dear Colin Stevens,

What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a fireman!

Singa's mate that is an absolutely reasonable and interesting thread.

Colin Stevens, best you just keep hiding behind your computer buddy. Best place for you.

PS: I'm one of the people that believes him.

That's only because they've been around longer than most of the others!

One other key point too is how often do you see Traxxas Slash's, Axial AX10s and the like on ebay? Not very often. That has nothing to do with a lack of market share, and more to do with the fact that they're good and people are less likely to want to sell them!

Seriously you cannot use Ebay to guage how well or not something new is selling.

What information source do you propose in gauging how Tamiya is doing? The available info is not perfect but is better than a guess. I understand is a private company so its annual F/S is not public information. as Traxxas, Axial are one product company and relatively new, but Tamiya has been around, good product range entry level, high end models, on road, off road, buggies, big trucks, tanks to F1 so has good market coverage and world wide. How many different models do Traxxas or Axial have. How many Tamiya models you have vs other models in your collection? For me, my collection is 90%+ tamiya and the rest is composed of HPI, Kyosho, Axial (just 1 of each). People don't sell their Traxxas or Axial, because they don't put out too many new products, only slight modification which is not enough to ditch the old and buy new.

If only a few people are interested Tamiya there will be very few Tamiya products for sale on ebay or not. If nobody wants Tamiya, no one will buy Tamiya, therefore no one will be selling Tamiya. Generally availability indicate popularity. Case in point, if you are a business person, would prefer selling a wanted product or an unwanted product. Look at Tamiya web sites which covers Asia, Europe and North America. What is the coverage on Traxxas & Axial website? Do they have a museum you can visit like Tamiya? Who do you think has more market share. It takes money, lots of it, to keep an operation the size of Tamiya going and with out the sells volume or turn overs, Tamiya would have being long gone.

Let me know how you would gauge Tamiya is doing in the market or how well its new products are doing.

"Hi!

Colin"

Sent from Colin Stevens

Hey man, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Since is only an opinion and not a fact, so OK, Noted and Thanks to Mr. Colin Stevens. I think TC members and visitors appreciate the efforts you have put in as there is no duty or benefit for you other than sharing a common interest to the rest of us. And this is not an empty but polite line, but a sincere and appreciation line. (I guess empty but polite line is always better than full of it and rude line.) Keep up the good work.

"Hi!

I have his email address which ends with sth.co.uk...

And they used to say the Brits were so polite! He certainly does the rest of us a great disservice...

I agree with the chap who said that empty and polite was better than full of it and rude. Which, by the looks of it, neatly sums up "Colin Stevens" :lol:.

You have to be either unbelievably stupid or terribly cynical to write something like this.

Of course, you are meanwhile very well known at TC for your disgusting bragging, lies, bellybutton-watching and naivety

you're an ridiculous empty shell.

Sent from Colin Stevens

Sorry to hilight the personal attacks, however that is exactly what you are seeing here. I see this as internet bullying which I thought was reserved for the immaturity of developing teenagers.

Opinions aside, these personal attacks are not acceptable in society yet alone within our own club. I know Singa's is a big boy and won't allow himself to be affected by sledging but can we all remember to treat each other with respect around here!

What information source do you propose in gauging how Tamiya is doing? The available info is not perfect but is better than a guess. I understand is a private company so its annual F/S is not public information. as Traxxas, Axial are one product company and relatively new, but Tamiya has been around, good product range entry level, high end models, on road, off road, buggies, big trucks, tanks to F1 so has good market coverage and world wide. How many different models do Traxxas or Axial have. How many Tamiya models you have vs other models in your collection? For me, my collection is 90%+ tamiya and the rest is composed of HPI, Kyosho, Axial (just 1 of each). People don't sell their Traxxas or Axial, because they don't put out too many new products, only slight modification which is not enough to ditch the old and buy new.

If only a few people are interested Tamiya there will be very few Tamiya products for sale on ebay or not. If nobody wants Tamiya, no one will buy Tamiya, therefore no one will be selling Tamiya. Generally availability indicate popularity. Case in point, if you are a business person, would prefer selling a wanted product or an unwanted product. Look at Tamiya web sites which covers Asia, Europe and North America. What is the coverage on Traxxas & Axial website? Do they have a museum you can visit like Tamiya? Who do you think has more market share. It takes money, lots of it, to keep an operation the size of Tamiya going and with out the sells volume or turn overs, Tamiya would have being long gone.

Let me know how you would gauge Tamiya is doing in the market or how well its new products are doing.

I'm not saying that Tamiya aren't doing well, I'm saying that just because Tamiya has a large percentage of the stuff being sold on Ebay isn't a measure of how much of the market share they have. Tamiya have a much larger range of products available, which obviously increases the number of different bits for sale, and they've been selling RC stuff for the best part of 35 years, so of course there's going to be more of their stuff around.

As consumers we have no real, reliable way of telling how well they're doing, any more than we know how much of a market share that Electrolux has over Dyson in vacuum cleaners, so really our best guess is probably about as good as we can hope for. The only people that know are the various global sales and accounts departments within Tamiya, and the web and online shops that sell them.

Oh, and as for "how much of my collection is Tamiya", well given that this is TamiyaClub, it's probably fairly obvious that most of it is (although of the 23 cars I have 3 are Axials, one is an HPI, one is a Traxxas and I have a Heng Long Tank), but this really isn't indicative of other forums that have a more general user base. Of the half a dozen or so more general RC forums that I lurk or occasionally post in, Tamiya owners are very much in the minority and most of the posters have Traxxas, HPIs and Axials, and to a lesser extent Losi and Associated.

I'm not saying that Tamiya aren't doing well, I'm saying that just because Tamiya has a large percentage of the stuff being sold on Ebay isn't a measure of how much of the market share they have. Tamiya have a much larger range of products available, which obviously increases the number of different bits for sale, and they've been selling RC stuff for the best part of 35 years, so of course there's going to be more of their stuff around.

As consumers we have no real, reliable way of telling how well they're doing, any more than we know how much of a market share that Electrolux has over Dyson in vacuum cleaners, so really our best guess is probably about as good as we can hope for. The only people that know are the various global sales and accounts departments within Tamiya, and the web and online shops that sell them.

Oh, and as for "how much of my collection is Tamiya", well given that this is TamiyaClub, it's probably fairly obvious that most of it is (although of the 23 cars I have 3 are Axials, one is an HPI, one is a Traxxas and I have a Heng Long Tank), but this really isn't indicative of other forums that have a more general user base. Of the half a dozen or so more general RC forums that I lurk or occasionally post in, Tamiya owners are very much in the minority and most of the posters have Traxxas, HPIs and Axials, and to a lesser extent Losi and Associated.

I agree with you on this one. The amount of second hand cars on ebay is just indicitive of the number of people that want to get shot of that particular tamiya car, i.e. They want the cash more than the car. Also, to add another thought to the mix, you don't often see full option tanks for sale second hand. Is this because they are a tiny portion of the market and very few are sold, or that once people have bought them they don't want to sell them ?

I think it's probably the latter. There's a similar phenomenon with the txt-1. It's an old model now, but still being sold, there's got to be thousands of them out there, but you don't see them that often on ebay. A lot of the second hand tamiya cars on ebay are 'loft finds'., sold by people no longer interested in the hobby. I think tamiya still sell a lot of cars to people getting into the hobby, and those of a competetive persuasion then move onto to more performance orientated models made by other manufacturers.

For me personally, I don't generally buy other manufacturers, as I like having the nut & bolt compatability between tamiya models for spares, which influences what I buy. Having said that, I've just recruited a Ultima Pro from TC for the 'horsepower wars' :lol:

surely "that" question should have been: "why was kit 58500 not HUGE and not an EGRESS!!!" ;)

surely "that" question should have been: "why was kit 58500 not HUGE and not an EGRESS!!!" :D

:D yes, that would have been a good question too!

Thanks for all the supportive replies. ;)

How much stuff being sold on the market new, used, scraps do represent market share. You don't see too many Rolls, Bugattis, Lamborghini etc.. being sold, traded in the market place, but it does not mean they are not doing well. You do see lot of Fords, VWs, Toyotas bought, sold, traded in the market place because they are more popular due to affortability and valve, but does not mean they are do well. We are talking about market shares not profitability. I agree this a Tamiya site so most of us will have lot more Tamiyas than the above brands. But check the other brand majority, do you see members having 20/30/50/100 of that brand vs the die hards we have here? Do you see their members buying 2,3 or 4 of the same models like you see here? I would guess the average TC members have more Tamiya models than your ave. Traxxa, Hpi, Axials, Losi ...unless say TC has only 40,000 members with an ave of 10 models but Traxxas site has 1,000,000 members where on ave only 2 models th$an Traxxas does have a larger market share.

As for vacuum cleaner like Dyson at $500.00 a piece (not familiar with Electrolux), say vs Hoover @$250.00 a piece, I would say Hoover has the larger market share because of affortablility.

If you are to submit a report based on guess, it will not go very far unless your guess is based on some direct or indirect evidence through some reliable or less reliable info and factor in certain amount of uncertainty before you can draw your conclusion. Than your guess work will have some credibility behind it otherwise is just a pure guess.

Similarly, I can look at some products like Nike vs NewBalance or Adidas, without looking at any market reports or financial statments, I can say Nike vs another other brand has more market shares just by looking at what most people wear, the level of sponsorships, advertising, team outfits and is not by guess work. However, I cannot say Nike is more profitable than say Adidas, because market shares come at a price. Like BMW has only around 2% of the market share vs Ford at almost 15% but BMW is lot more financially healthy than Ford, for now.

How much stuff being sold on the market new, used, scraps do represent market share. You don't see too many Rolls, Bugattis, Lamborghini etc.. being sold, traded in the market place, but it does not mean they are not doing well. You do see lot of Fords, VWs, Toyotas bought, sold, traded in the market place because they are more popular due to affortability and valve, but does not mean they are do well. We are talking about market shares not profitability.

I know what we're talking about. You're still wrong. Tamiya have been around for 35 years. Traxxas have been around and selling in the volumes that they have for a good deal less than that. For one Traxxas Slash 4x4 you can buy 4 Holiday Buggy 2010s. Extrapolate both of those two facts, and then look at ebay, and it's quite obvious that on ebay there will be an awful lot more Tamiyas than Slash 4x4s for sale. That's the point - it's not anything to do with market share or profitability. You simply cannot use Ebay to judge how well a particular RC manufacturer against another one, unless both manufacturers have been around for similar lengths of time, have similar a similar range of cars and sell them at similar prices.

I agree this a Tamiya site so most of us will have lot more Tamiyas than the above brands. But check the other brand majority, do you see members having 20/30/50/100 of that brand vs the die hards we have here? Do you see their members buying 2,3 or 4 of the same models like you see here?

No, and again that's absolutely nothing to do with current market share, and more to do with the cheapness of the low end Tamiya kit, and the fact that the second hand market of Tamiya cars is that much healthier because there are an awful lot more 20 year old cars that sell for £25 or so.

I would guess....

oh.. so now guessing is OK...

....the average TC members have more Tamiya models than your ave. Traxxa, Hpi, Axials, Losi ...unless say TC has only 40,000 members with an ave of 10 models but Traxxas site has 1,000,000 members where on ave only 2 models th$an Traxxas does have a larger market share.

Not entirely sure the point you're making here, as it seems to go against the general gist of what you're saying.

As for vacuum cleaner like Dyson at $500.00 a piece (not familiar with Electrolux), say vs Hoover @$250.00 a piece, I would say Hoover has the larger market share because of affortablility.

Fact is, neither of us have any idea what the market share is do we? We have to make a guess. If you go on to ebay I wonder what the position is? Dyson have pretty well dominated the vacuum cleaner market in the last 15 years or so (certainly in the UK), but of course Hoover have been around a lot longer, so either company could have more cleaners for sale on ebay. That has absolutely no reflection whatsoever which company is selling more vacuum cleaners right now.

If you are to submit a report based on guess, it will not go very far unless your guess is based on some direct or indirect evidence through some reliable or less reliable info and factor in certain amount of uncertainty before you can draw your conclusion. Than your guess work will have some credibility behind it otherwise is just a pure guess.

Aah.. now it's not OK again. I'm confused.

Similarly, I can look at some products like Nike vs NewBalance or Adidas, without looking at any market reports or financial statments, I can say Nike vs another other brand has more market shares just by looking at what most people wear, the level of sponsorships, advertising, team outfits and is not by guess work. However, I cannot say Nike is more profitable than say Adidas, because market shares come at a price. Like BMW has only around 2% of the market share vs Ford at almost 15% but BMW is lot more financially healthy than Ford, for now.

You're quite right in the way you would guage the popularity of one training shoe manufacturer against another, but you wouldn't go on to an Adidas website and say that Adidas out sold everyone else just because everyone on there happened to have a lot of Adidas kit would you? Tamiyas are indeed popular on this site because it is a site dedicated to it. Other sites that aren't, and are more broad based, Tamiyas are most definitely in the minority.

I know what we're talking about. You're still wrong. Tamiya have been around for 35 years. Traxxas have been around and selling in the volumes that they have for a good deal less than that. For one Traxxas Slash 4x4 you can buy 4 Holiday Buggy 2010s. Extrapolate both of those two facts, and then look at ebay, and it's quite obvious that on ebay there will be an awful lot more Tamiyas than Slash 4x4s for sale. That's the point - it's not anything to do with market share or profitability. You simply cannot use Ebay to judge how well a particular RC manufacturer against another one, unless both manufacturers have been around for similar lengths of time, have similar a similar range of cars and sell them at similar prices.

No, and again that's absolutely nothing to do with current market share, and more to do with the cheapness of the low end Tamiya kit, and the fact that the second hand market of Tamiya cars is that much healthier because there are an awful lot more 20 year old cars that sell for £25 or so.

oh.. so now guessing is OK...

Not entirely sure the point you're making here, as it seems to go against the general gist of what you're saying.

Fact is, neither of us have any idea what the market share is do we? We have to make a guess. If you go on to ebay I wonder what the position is? Dyson have pretty well dominated the vacuum cleaner market in the last 15 years or so (certainly in the UK), but of course Hoover have been around a lot longer, so either company could have more cleaners for sale on ebay. That has absolutely no reflection whatsoever which company is selling more vacuum cleaners right now.

Aah.. now it's not OK again. I'm confused.

You're quite right in the way you would guage the popularity of one training shoe manufacturer against another, but you wouldn't go on to an Adidas website and say that Adidas out sold everyone else just because everyone on there happened to have a lot of Adidas kit would you? Tamiyas are indeed popular on this site because it is a site dedicated to it. Other sites that aren't, and are more broad based, Tamiyas are most definitely in the minority.

You haven't backed up any of your claims other than saying "I know what we're talking about". Based on what?

You've mentioned that Traxxes is 4x the value say Holiday buggy. Therefore, likely HB will out sold Traxxas. Porsche vs Toyota. Who do you think has the larger market share? Affortablility, and product coverage will dominiate market share. As mentioned before look at Tamiya line up and price vs Traxxes or HPI or Associate.

I do have an ideal based on ebay, product availability, length of year in the market that Tamiya will have more market share. While you keep insisting is not valid.

Dyson is popular in UK, (I have one) but you are talking about UK market, we are talking about the entire world. Maybe I don't know many people, but I don't know any families, friends or staffs that owns a Dyson. The ones that heard of Dyson is they know they are very expensive.

My conclusion is based on website, ebay, product line up, price, years in the market, nos of model own, which all point toward Tamiya, while your conclusion is based on guess work and you seemed to be stuck on thinking that my conclusion is ebay only.

Just to explain to you further, price has a huge factor in market share. Think of cars, most families have 2 cars, your average car and few families will have a Ferrari and even fewer have 2 Ferrai.

A simple survey for you. How many individuals you know are into the other RC brand vs Tamiya and the ones into the other brand, how many do they own and the ones into Tamiya, how many do they own. So in times of selling on ebay, which brand would you say will appear more?

Why do people have few models of the other brand and more models for Tamiya? Simple, product line up. I have an Axial, why I didn't another? because all Axial models are very similar.

Tamiya, I have a lot. Why? Because a tank is different than the Big Rig, which is different than a F150, which is different than F1, which is different than Wild Willy, which is different than a TA02...TB-02....get the picture why most people in to RC owns much more Tamiya's model, hence greater market share? Which when comes to selling or buying ebay will have a lot more of Tamiya's product than the others.

This has to be the dumbest arguement ever on Tamiyaclub. Two people calling each other wrong and there is no way to know the answear. So how can anybody be wrong or right? :)

Thanks for the great question to Tamiya. You got an honest answear. Tamiya are very polite and will answear just about anything. So dont worry if people on here believe you or not its just the way it is.

I have asked many different questions because when I get the chance I know what I will ask allready. I waited 2 years to get to talk with the designer of the C car range. I asked about the two little mounts on the side of the chassis. He said it was for an undercowl. But still people on here dont believe me.LOL

So dont worry at all about this Colin Stevens guy just take more pictures and ask more questions. Somebody here will enjoy it even if Colin Stvens doesnt.

You haven't backed up any of your claims other than saying "I know what we're talking about". Based on what?

You've mentioned that Traxxes is 4x the value say Holiday buggy. Therefore, likely HB will out sold Traxxas. Porsche vs Toyota. Who do you think has the larger market share? Affortablility, and product coverage will dominiate market share. As mentioned before look at Tamiya line up and price vs Traxxes or HPI or Associate.

I do have an ideal based on ebay, product availability, length of year in the market that Tamiya will have more market share. While you keep insisting is not valid.

Dyson is popular in UK, (I have one) but you are talking about UK market, we are talking about the entire world. Maybe I don't know many people, but I don't know any families, friends or staffs that owns a Dyson. The ones that heard of Dyson is they know they are very expensive.

My conclusion is based on website, ebay, product line up, price, years in the market, nos of model own, which all point toward Tamiya, while your conclusion is based on guess work and you seemed to be stuck on thinking that my conclusion is ebay only.

Just to explain to you further, price has a huge factor in market share. Think of cars, most families have 2 cars, your average car and few families will have a Ferrari and even fewer have 2 Ferrai.

A simple survey for you. How many individuals you know are into the other RC brand vs Tamiya and the ones into the other brand, how many do they own and the ones into Tamiya, how many do they own. So in times of selling on ebay, which brand would you say will appear more?

Why do people have few models of the other brand and more models for Tamiya? Simple, product line up. I have an Axial, why I didn't another? because all Axial models are very similar.

Tamiya, I have a lot. Why? Because a tank is different than the Big Rig, which is different than a F150, which is different than F1, which is different than Wild Willy, which is different than a TA02...TB-02....get the picture why most people in to RC owns much more Tamiya's model, hence greater market share? Which when comes to selling or buying ebay will have a lot more of Tamiya's product than the others.

You've missed the point entirely. The original quote of yours which started all of this was this:

Ebay, whilst a place for selling new things is largely a place for selling second hand things. Tamiya have been around a lot longer than most of the other modern major players. Therefore there is going to be an awful lot more second hand Tamiya kit. Therefore you cannot use ebay to judge how well Tamiya stuff is selling because there is quite obviously going to be a lot more second hand stuff around.

You also missed the point with my vacuum cleaner illustration. The relevance was not about the scope of the market between Dyson and Hoover, it was an illustration on the longevity of Hoover versus the comparitively new company of Dyson, and the fact that Dyson quite clearly have a dominance in the market, but Hoover have been around a lot longer, so who would likely have the most number of items on ebay?

If you're going to distort the argument with irrelevant waffle and fail to comprehend the examples I'm giving you, then I think we're done, don't you?

There should be an "Arena of Death" in the forum somewhere really....

And back to Singapore_959, sorry to hear about this cowardly email and thanks for the report on the conversation.

This has to be the dumbest arguement ever on Tamiyaclub. Two people calling each other wrong and there is no way to know the answear. So how can anybody be wrong or right? :)

If it weren't for opinion based arguments with no win condition, I'd think more than a few online forums would be quite empty.

If it weren't for opinion based arguments with no win condition, I'd think more than a few online forums would be quite empty.

Yep you are right,it even better when neither one of the people know what they are talking about.LOL