gozone

Different tyre styles on similar chassis?

Hi all. :)

Just a question concerning a funny thing i noticed just this morning.

I have 2 old Kyosho Rally Sports cars, one very near complete (Datsun 240), anmd one chassis for spares.

This morning, i checked them out to see if I could get one going, just for the laugh of it, of course, it will need some cleaning and lubing first, but anyway, starting to take them apart, I noticed that the writing on the tyres of the 2 cars are different from eachother. On one car, it says "Goodyear", and on the other one, "Sand Super", however, the treads are similar?

Anyone who knows how this can be?

Perhaps something to do with using the name Goodyear or something else? Has it got anything to do with year of manufacture, or something different.

And finally, how old are these cars?

When were they released, and when did Kyosho stop making them?

Also, it seems to me that the gearboxes and rear trailing arms are similar to those of the Scorpion / Beetle/ Tomahawk-cars? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance, and have a great day. :)

Cheers..

Michael

I THINK that chassis is shared with the Rally Montero and the Datsun pick up. It's an evolution of the Sand Skipper tub. The arms are not interchangeable with the Scorpion series.

Regarding the tyre markings, I think it comes down to "Do we renew our royalties deal or not?". Sand Super is Kyosho's Super Gripper.

Thanks for the info. :)

Well, now i have had the ultrasonic cleaner going, and cleaned up the whole thing, swapped a few bits from one chassis to another, added an old Acoms Techniplus mkIII radio and reciever, and now it´s up and running with the original MSC and all.. LOL, what a strange car to drive, but pretty quick with 7,2 volts..

Now i just gotta get a new bodyshell for it, but i will wait a little doing that, because i also have a Turbo Optima coming very shortly, which i would like to treat with new tyres and shell also.. That one will also be for running.. ;)

Cheers.

Michael

Hi Michael,

to my best knowledge the Kyosho Rally Sports series were release in late 1979 (the manual was printed in 1979) and it last appeared in 1983 catalog.

bye

Thanks for the info. :unsure:

Well, now i have had the ultrasonic cleaner going, and cleaned up the whole thing, swapped a few bits from one chassis to another, added an old Acoms Techniplus mkIII radio and reciever, and now it´s up and running with the original MSC and all.. LOL, what a strange car to drive, but pretty quick with 7,2 volts..

Now i just gotta get a new bodyshell for it, but i will wait a little doing that, because i also have a Turbo Optima coming very shortly, which i would like to treat with new tyres and shell also.. That one will also be for running.. :D

Cheers.

Michael

post-6945-1317450824_thumb.jpg

post-6945-1317450868_thumb.jpg

Ok, it's not the Datsun I was thinking of. Those rear arms do look a lot like Scorpion parts :unsure: However the car pictured is an Alpine A310.