Sign in to follow this  
Walsall-Basher

Iridescent paint help

I've bought some iridescent paint for a mini kit I got for my birthday. How many coats do I need before the black base coat goes on? I've done 2 so far and shell is still very transparent but with a light iridescent sheen. Is this correct?

I did my Manta Ray with fastrax chameleon paints, link to my gallery page..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...8&sid=34746

I sprayed several light coats of the irredescent paint to ensure coverage and no bare spots, not a thick layer. You only need sufficient coverage that can be seen as a lacquer layer in good light, not looking for an opaque layer. Then backed with a couple coats of black.

That's it... once you have ensured even coverage, stop. If you paint enough on so that the colour is heading towards solid the special effect won't work when you back it up.

That's it... once you have ensured even coverage, stop. If you paint enough on so that the colour is heading towards solid the special effect won't work when you back it up.

Really? I used the whole can of the purple/green flip on a body, and it came out fine when backed with black.

There's no limit to how much you put on, but more coats mean more chance of getting a run in the paint which WILL ruin the effect.

We might be talking about two totally different paints.

I thought he was talking about the Anodised paints, the ones that are a fine pearl mist that is pretty much translucent until you back them. The flip paints are something else completely :)

My chameleon paint was almost a clear lacquer with purple/gold flakes in it, that when backed with black gave the bottle green < > bronze effect

T's Iridescent paints (there's only 2 PSs...?) you just need to paint on as much as needed to get even coverage.

Even if you empty the whole can on 1 shell after many coats, its a milky haze and nothing appears until PS5 backed.

But 1 can possibly can cover 2-3 touringcar shells if you're careful.

I also use it behind translucent colours, it changes the flip colours.