Sign in to follow this  
jujutsuboy

Sourcing spares in the UK?

OK, here is a random one. I am on the verge of getting properly addicted to Tamiya models (aaargggggggg!!!!!!). Have my Lunchbox with mucho mods and my Blitzer is following. However, before this never ending path starts to get trodden, the one thing that puts me off is spares and hop up availability in the UK. I have done lots of searching and places like Modelsport, Fusion, Wonderland etc seem to stock some bits, but never anything like Traxxas parts for example. Can anyone recommend a good source within the UK?

cheers

Try eBay too - there are several great UK sellers -I've dealt with Melianw, tamiya_rc_car_spares, Europoro975 and victor101car plenty of times

A lot depends on the models you're looking at though, so do a bit of searching for each model you're thinking of, just to make sure

Thanks, that is an excellent point though. For example, I really like the look of the TA02 F150 Re-Re, but can seem to find very little parts. Are there also any recommendations on which chassis base is best supported?

I would have thought that there were plenty of spares available for the lunchbox and the blitzer. Both have been re-released...

I wouldn't worry about ordering from outside the UK too - bizarrely it even works out cheaper sometimes...

Don't forget the trade room on TC too.

With the newer models, you have to give it a while for the spares supply to catch up

The Lunchbox and Sand Scorcher/Rough Rider are well supported, as are most of the modern releases, but the Ford's kinda just leaked onto the shelves so you may have to bide your time.

Lots of parts available for the TA02 touring car chassis, parts specific to the F150 may take a while to appear. If you're after alloy hop-ups you almost always have to look abroad, usually Hong Kong. There are a number of very reputable suppliers and HK - UK post is only usually 7-10 days.

Modelsport tend to at least tell you whether items are in stock. Fusion and Tamiyaparts give great service but a few times i've ordered thinking incorrectly items were in stock only to be told several weeks delivery on some items. A bit annoying when you've shopped around for the best place to order 5 or 6 parts , only to find you having to re-order some parts elsewhere and incurring two lots of postage.

eBAY sellers already mentioned give great service as they do have the stock - just don't always assume ebay is the best price though.

also dont forget to check parts for all of the related models as some sellers will list parts for one car EG stadium blitzer but not mention the parts fit the bear hawk etc

Modelsport tend to at least tell you whether items are in stock. Fusion and Tamiyaparts give great service but a few times i've ordered thinking incorrectly items were in stock only to be told several weeks delivery on some items. A bit annoying when you've shopped around for the best place to order 5 or 6 parts , only to find you having to re-order some parts elsewhere and incurring two lots of postage.

Yes, that is annoying, happened to me recently after I spent a couple of hours shopping around trying to find several parts from one supplier to save on postage only to find that half the items were in stock after I had paid for them.

I like the way the Modelsport website tells you if the items are in stock or not. Would be nice if Fusion could do the same.

in the uk vintage tamiya -parts is a great scource of older parts , good service and reasonable prices

http://www.roundabouttoys.com/store/

just ordered a Traxxas waterproof receiver box for my cr-01 from these guys and they offer some less common parts. worth giving them a call.

Also Modelsport give very good service and if you have a chassis like my cr-01 offer alot of hopups. goodluck