Sign in to follow this  
yetijay

Tough, cheap OK handling model

Hi all!

Been trying to restore my madcap for my dad - it keeps suffering from slipping diffs after 15-20 minutes and I don't want to hand it over to him unless I can find a long(ish) term solution.

Looking at the astute diff modifications, I am not sure that will be solid enough as the car is running a 17t x 2 orion motor and ESC so power wise, this may keep melting the differential!

Basically, I may well sell the Madcap and keep the electronics + motor and get another model.

THE QUESTION!

What model would you recommend for bashing about on various terrain - and something which will handle the power of the 17t motor, not overly fussed about amazing handling, but something bordering on uncontrollable haha :lol:

£140 max ideally -give or take.

Otherwise - what options do I have for the differential of the Madcap (list ebay listings if possible as I am fairly clueless and have to spend hours searching for stuff)

Much appreciated guys - LOVING the site and nostalgia - I'm of the Beatties generation :)

Any of the Tamiya DF-03 chassi'd buggies would handle the power, are durable and have plenty of adjustments for set-up.

Here's some blurb on the Dark Impact variant..

Tamiya Dark Impact 4WD Off-Road Racer

Even while still in prototype form, the Dark Impact was already hitting the track at competitions as part of the research and developement process. Using Tamiya's traditional shaft-driven chassis formula, the Dark Impact features a highly efficient drivetrain and optimized vehicle balance. Its stylish slim body styling includes a large rear wing for maximum downforce and combines with high-density spike tire K at all four corners for stable off-road performance.

Durable monocoque bathtub frame sees the heavy battery and R/C mechanism components mounted low and central for the best vehicle balance. Even the oil dampers are located within the wheelbase for greater stability and cornering performance. Compact gearboxes are equipped with ball differentials, and the propeller shaft directly links to the front bevel gear to decrease power loss during transmission. 4-wheel double wishbone suspension with long suspension arms provides excellent shock absorption, and a variety of attachment positions gives the driver many options when tuning.

FEATURES:

• Ready to assemble electric powered radio control model kit

• Features shaft driven full time 4WD

• Front/Rear gear case with ball differential

• High density spike tyres

• Comes with 4 high performance oil dampers

• High performance 540 type electric motor

• Highly detailed polycarbonate body shell

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Length: 387mm

• Width: 250mm

• Height: 145mm

• Weight Approx: 1156g

• Drivetrain: Shaft-driven 4WD

• Diff Gear: Front/Rear Ball Diff

Can't go wrong with a Manta Ray or any of its many variants :lol:

What model would you recommend for bashing about on various terrain - and something which will handle the power of the 17t motor, not overly fussed about amazing handling, but something bordering on uncontrollable haha :lol:

Slash, by Traxxas

Hi all!

Been trying to restore my madcap for my dad - it keeps suffering from slipping diffs after 15-20 minutes and I don't want to hand it over to him unless I can find a long(ish) term solution.

Looking at the astute diff modifications, I am not sure that will be solid enough as the car is running a 17t x 2 orion motor and ESC so power wise, this may keep melting the differential!

Basically, I may well sell the Madcap and keep the electronics + motor and get another model.

THE QUESTION!

What model would you recommend for bashing about on various terrain - and something which will handle the power of the 17t motor, not overly fussed about amazing handling, but something bordering on uncontrollable haha :rolleyes:

Otherwise - what options do I have for the differential of the Madcap (list ebay listings if possible as I am fairly clueless and have to spend hours searching for stuff)

Much appreciated guys - LOVING the site and nostalgia - I'm of the Beatties generation :)

re re Blitzer then hop it up as funds allow

Much appreciated guys - LOVING the site and nostalgia - I'm of the Beatties generation :rolleyes:

Restore the Madcap, c'mon you have a vintage model there and worth spending money on if it's reasonable.

Buy diff internals from vintage tamiya-parts or ebay, rebuild the diff using two shims in each diff half. If it still slips, add another shim in each half.

+1 on the re-re Blitzer or any of the DT02 range (either HB2010 and upgrade yourself or start with the desert gator/sand viper/super fighter G as they come pre upgraded out of the box)

Wild Willy (if you go for handling :rolleyes: ) or a DT02

Thanks for the replies!

I'd been blinkered on some kind of vintage tamiya model - grasshopper/restored madcap but that traxxas slash looks awesome!

Mind you there's about 13 different variations and I haven't a clue about any of them - half of them aren't listed on the traxxas website!

Problem with re-shimming is that it keeps happening! it doesn't seem to hold. Also I can see the front end is wobbly with the steering - Might be a classic but seems like a money pit, better let someone with more time/inclination to tinker (i.e. not my dad!)

Looks like I'll have a madcap to sell :-/

thanks peoples!

Hi all!

THE QUESTION!

What model would you recommend for bashing about on various terrain - and something which will handle the power of the 17t motor, not overly fussed about amazing handling, but something bordering on uncontrollable haha :rolleyes:

For bulletproof uncontrollability, and a lot of fun for someone who doesn't want to stand trackside, motionless, whilst sending a spaceship buggy around a circuit with dedicated efficiency, what about a Hornet? £140 max even with a radio, normal NiMH battery and full bearing set, you can run it into a wall at speed and it'll just bounce off. When it tips over, as surely it will, the lexan body won't look too scarred because it's painted from the inside. It's *very* light, so quick even with the stock motor and lasts ages with a modest battery, and has a bombproof axle that will take a much faster motor than the provided 540.

Disadvantages: the village handling that see it fly off course at full pelt in a straight line if you hit a bump (blame the featherlight chassis and terrible bump-steer); spiked rear tyres that go slick after a few runs on pavement; and lots of hopping about that isn't very efficient for putting power down. But aside from the historical interest aspect, it's still huge fun with something approaching a personality because of the way it behaves, and it's cheap to run and repair. An entire new gearbox casing is about seven pounds, and the only reason you'll need one is if you ground it out often enough to wear holes in it, the gears inside will never die (but fit a steel pinion to the motor). If you can control it with a hot motor - and it's possible to powerslide it around if you practise - then you can control anything :). Something very similar applies, BTW, to the Lunchbox, another fun kit (although the hard body is phps more fragile and adds weight high up which leads to more tip-overs).

Hmmm...

I do like the look of hornets, but as you say, anything bigger than a pebble and they're crashing faster than a drunk in a robin reliant - what do you reckon of the hornet with the 17t motor? Kamikaze?

I can always change tyres to something more suitable - I live near loads of beaches and the car will probably be used on sand a lot - I hear the hornet can get clogged up easily (not sure what gets clogged up though!)

Been looking at that Slash XL 1/16th (brushed) which is cheap as and comes with radio gear etc... I'll search up to see if that's any good.

thanks andy and peoples

For bulletproof uncontrollability, and a lot of fun for someone who doesn't want to stand trackside, motionless, whilst sending a spaceship buggy around a circuit with dedicated efficiency, what about a Hornet? £140 max even with a radio, normal NiMH battery and full bearing set, you can run it into a wall at speed and it'll just bounce off. When it tips over, as surely it will, the lexan body won't look too scarred because it's painted from the inside. It's *very* light, so quick even with the stock motor and lasts ages with a modest battery, and has a bombproof axle that will take a much faster motor than the provided 540.

Disadvantages: the village handling that see it fly off course at full pelt in a straight line if you hit a bump (blame the featherlight chassis and terrible bump-steer); spiked rear tyres that go slick after a few runs on pavement; and lots of hopping about that isn't very efficient for putting power down. But aside from the historical interest aspect, it's still huge fun with something approaching a personality because of the way it behaves, and it's cheap to run and repair. An entire new gearbox casing is about seven pounds, and the only reason you'll need one is if you ground it out often enough to wear holes in it, the gears inside will never die (but fit a steel pinion to the motor). If you can control it with a hot motor - and it's possible to powerslide it around if you practise - then you can control anything :rolleyes:. Something very similar applies, BTW, to the Lunchbox, another fun kit (although the hard body is phps more fragile and adds weight high up which leads to more tip-overs).

Bear in mind 1/16 Slashes will have more problems on pebbles than a 1/10 hornet will!

Slashes are awesome in both 2 and 4WD (I have a 4WD and I love it), but unless you can find a decent second hand one, I think you'd be pushed to get a 2WD 1/10 one for the budget you're on.

Which gearbox and buggy is tougher and can handle the motor better - the hornet or grasshopper?

I hear stories of gearboxes imploding ...

Bear in mind 1/16 Slashes will have more problems on pebbles than a 1/10 hornet will!

Slashes are awesome in both 2 and 4WD (I have a 4WD and I love it), but unless you can find a decent second hand one, I think you'd be pushed to get a 2WD 1/10 one for the budget you're on.

The videos online are deceiving - with slowmo and tight crops you forget the car is on a smoothish surface :rolleyes:

Ansmann Mad Rat ? £50 for the kit from modelsport, much more sophisticated than a hornet and doesn't handle like a v8 unicycle when a powerful motor is put in it. I have heard that they can be fragile, but am considering getting one myself. Their 4wd blizzard kit looks pretty good too.

I'd also add a mad bull into the mix. Tough as old boots and can handle silly power, I ran mine on a 14 double with a 9.6V battery.

Which gearbox and buggy is tougher and can handle the motor better - the hornet or grasshopper?

I hear stories of gearboxes imploding ...

Both these cars use the same gearbox but the Grasshopper comes with a 380 motor as standard so maybe its less prone to "exploding gearboxes"? The main difference is the Hornet comes with a 540 motor, has slightly more advanced suspension (which you can fit to the Grasshopper as a hopup option) and a lexan body, so it makes an already light car superlight (which isnt always a good thing hence the bouncing). You could think of the Hornet as an upgraded Grasshopper, just add bearings and away you go.

I have a Grasshopper which has had all the Hornet upgrades apart from the bodyshell, its survived nasty crashes better than any other car I've owned and I've not had a thing go wrong with it or wear out. Bombproof? Oh yes! If you're looking for cheap, reliable fun (and not compeating against more modern chassis's) its hard to beat. And it has those classic vintage looks too :rolleyes:

A Grasshopper gearbox might explode if you try to run a Chrysler Hemi through it, but short of that, I think you'll be OK.

Personally, I like the DT02 or Blitzer chassis better for all-around bashing. Independent rear suspension helps a lot.

Thanks for the replies!

I'd been blinkered on some kind of vintage tamiya model - grasshopper/restored madcap but that traxxas slash looks awesome!

Mind you there's about 13 different variations and I haven't a clue about any of them - half of them aren't listed on the traxxas website!

Problem with re-shimming is that it keeps happening! it doesn't seem to hold. Also I can see the front end is wobbly with the steering - Might be a classic but seems like a money pit, better let someone with more time/inclination to tinker (i.e. not my dad!)

Looks like I'll have a madcap to sell :-/

thanks peoples!

Yeah re-shimming won't get the job done. You really do need to rebuild the diff completely to get it tight enough. I'm sure the Madcap will be of use to someone even as a parts donar.

Stadium Blitzer/Blitzer Beetle gets my vote. Make sure you flip the steering knuckles, fit bearings, a steel pinion and just get some Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs for the back straight away.

Ansmann Mad Rat ? £50 for the kit from modelsport, much more sophisticated than a hornet and doesn't handle like a v8 unicycle when a powerful motor is put in it. I have heard that they can be fragile, but am considering getting one myself. Their 4wd blizzard kit looks pretty good too.

I'd also add a mad bull into the mix. Tough as old boots and can handle silly power, I ran mine on a 14 double with a 9.6V battery.

Empahtic NO! If you get one that works, they're great, if you get a Friday one that has problems with its slipper clutch you'll be tearing your hair out and swearing a lot.

My Mad Rat is still in bits.. one of these days I'm going to see if I can get some RC10 B4 bits for it so that I can get it running (because the Mad Rat is really nothing more than a cheap RC10 clone)

A Grasshopper gearbox might explode if you try to run a Chrysler Hemi through it, but short of that, I think you'll be OK.

:rolleyes:

The reason it's tough is the same reason it's also not much good. The gearbox casing is large, strong and rigid, and the gears are big with fairly large teeth. But this means the wheels don't work independently, it's huge compared to the body, and it's not the sprung part, which means that when you hit a bump, it pushes the body around (which also pushes the front suspension around, just when the front wheels are trying to work independently).

The Hornet's weak points are the front strut towers and upper rear shock mounting points - the bits that stick out, more or less. And it's so easy to bash that it probably gets subject to more abuse than other cars!

I agree that the DT-02 chassis with independent double-wishbone suspension is much more modern. A Holiday Buggy with a 540 motor and a some ballraces thrown in won't cost more than £140, and is also a great basher.

Dont buy a hornet or Grasshopper. They are a step down from the madcap. Infact they are a BIG step down..

As mentioned the DT02 cars are good, very strong, reliable (near indestructible) gearbox and the rest of the car is also tough. They are also cheap.

The Slash is simply the best car for bashing (The 1/10 2wd cars) really strong, look much more scale than most due to the suspension movement and they just put a smile on your face. The 1/16 ones are not as able when going off road, but still are very good compared to the travesty that is the GH or hornet.

The Ansmann cars are also very good. The Macnum is Truggy which is only £50 and they are a popular car for the kids around our way. They are fantastic, and the best £50 you can spend on RC.

Macnum on Fusion hobbies

If the slash is out of your range, and you want a good cheap offroader, this is it.

All good ideas -

The holiday buggy seems like a good setup - but the body is Ugly! (IMO)

Got an idea! Would it be possible to pop a Hornet or Grasshopper body on to the DT-02 chassis of the DT-02?

The stock Grasshopper/Hornet has huge character but I think it'd get frustrating having it flip all the time, like a bipolar monkey.

Dont buy a hornet or Grasshopper. They are a step down from the madcap. Infact they are a BIG step down..

I don't believe the OP asked for an upgrade to the Madcap. In fact, he specifically said he wasn't bothered by amazing handling and wanted something bordering on the uncontrollable.

if you keep rolling a Hornet on tarmac you're doing something wrong :lol:. When I get around to it I'll trim down a video of the Hornet on a smooth surface. 10 min of donuts, powerslides and sharp turns at full speed and not a single tip-over...

You can put any body on any chassis - it's all about the body mounts. It's just whether it'd look OK or not. Bear in mind that the DT02 has the standard 260mm ish wheelbase, while the Hornet Grasshopper have a shorter 240mm ish one, so putting one shell on the chassis might look a bit odd.

You could get something like a Sand Viper which has the DT02 chassis and a Hornet style body, which fits, but isn't as scale looking. If you were really determined to have the Hornet body, then you could just buy a Hornet. The only limitation with Hornets is how much power you put through them in terms of the motor. The gearboxes will handle it, but the platform itself will soon reach its limit much past 13t brushless or probably 17t brushed.

I have a Mad Bull which is a similar configuration to the Hornet / 'Hopper just with bigger wheels. It's a great car in that it's tough and fun, but becase it's such a basic chassis, it doesn't take long to reach its limits. That has a 13.5t brushless motor in it.. any faster than that and it's undriveable.

Still can't stress enough that the Ansmann cars are a lottery. If you're lucky and get a good one, then sure, lots of people run them and are quite happy. If you're unlucky and get a dud, then like me and a few others I know who've bought one, you'll wish you hadn't.. but it's a cheap car.. you pay your money, you take your chances! (although admittedly I did buy mine a couple of years ago; they may well have sorted those clutch issues since then. I'd do some Googling around and research it before you take the plunge)