FLEXUS

hotshot build tips

hi guys i,ve finally bought a hotshot 25 years after first wanting one as a teenager.

had a nosey in a model shop while shopping with the mrs and spotted a boomerang which was the last one(display model).

after trying to find one i settled on a hotshot from modelsport uk

just wondered is there any tips/special tools etc or things to watch out for when i start my build?

i,ve bought the car bearing set accoms 2.4 plus a 4500 battery red paint(just ordered the acrylic paints required as the shop never mentioned them)

any help appreciated cheers karl

Congratulations on the Hot Shot & welcome aboard. This should become a very sattisfying pass time for you.

Tools first. You need a good 2 point phillips head screwdriver with medium length grip, a hobby knife (exacto knife), good scissors preferably the small curved nail scissors or proper polycarbonate scissors from the hobbyshop, small pliers and small side cutting pliers. Small re-sealable plastic bags are also helpful for keeping parts orderly once the kit bags have been opened. These should be enough to get you started.

Paint. Go back to the hobbyshop and get Tamiya PS paint (for polycarbonate shell) in a spray can. One can is enough and spray the inside of the shell (not the outside) with multiple light coats allowing the paint to at least cure before spraying the next coat.

Tips. There are a thousand tips for improving the Hot Shot, but I suggest that you just follow the instructions very carefully and maybe organise all of the parts that are in small bags into an assortment box for easy sorting before you start building. Also prepare, paint and sticker the body first. This way when you complete the chassis and electrics you can just pop the body on and run the car straight away. Nothing worse than having a freshly built car that you can't use because you left the body until last. :):)

Good Luck & Enjoy. :ph34r:

Congratulations on the Hot Shot & welcome aboard. This should become a very sattisfying pass time for you.

Tools first. You need a good 2 point phillips head screwdriver with medium length grip, a hobby knife (exacto knife), good scissors preferably the small curved nail scissors or proper polycarbonate scissors from the hobbyshop, small pliers and small side cutting pliers. Small re-sealable plastic bags are also helpful for keeping parts orderly once the kit bags have been opened. These should be enough to get you started.

Paint. Go back to the hobbyshop and get Tamiya PS paint (for polycarbonate shell) in a spray can. One can is enough and spray the inside of the shell (not the outside) with multiple light coats allowing the paint to at least cure before spraying the next coat.

Tips. There are a thousand tips for improving the Hot Shot, but I suggest that you just follow the instructions very carefully and maybe organise all of the parts that are in small bags into an assortment box for easy sorting before you start building. Also prepare, paint and sticker the body first. This way when you complete the chassis and electrics you can just pop the body on and run the car straight away. Nothing worse than having a freshly built car that you can't use because you left the body until last. :):)

Good Luck & Enjoy. :ph34r:

alright mate thanks for the advice.

I,ve pretty much got all the tools u mentioned.

The shop sold me the body spray paint its the paint for the small details i need like the driver.

Gonna start it next week probably.

Cheers mate

i,ve bought the car bearing set accoms 2.4 plus a 4500 battery

The kit supplied TEU-101BK and TEU-104BK ESCs do not have a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) included, neither do the receivers of most 2.4 GHz transmitters. If you leave this as it is, you will have to feed your receiver and servo from 4 AA batteries.

If you want to feed your receiver and servo from the 7.2V battery, you will either need to add a BEC (Tamiya #45051) or to replace the kit ESC with a TEU-302BK (or any other ESC with BEC included). This will reduce weight and you won't have to mess around with the separate receiver batteries anymore, since space for installing electronics on the Hotshot is limited.

The kit supplied TEU-101BK and TEU-104BK ESCs do not have a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) included, neither do the receivers of most 2.4 GHz transmitters. If you leave this as it is, you will have to feed your receiver and servo from 4 AA batteries.

If you want to feed your receiver and servo from the 7.2V battery, you will either need to add a BEC (Tamiya #45051) or to replace the kit ESC with a TEU-302BK (or any other ESC with BEC included). This will reduce weight and you won't have to mess around with the separate receiver batteries anymore, since space for installing electronics on the Hotshot is limited.

cheers for that. I thought you only use the batteries on older systems where you have two servos.

Is it worth buying the part you mentioned or a better ESC?the transmitter came with one receiver,servo for steering and the battery cradle is that right?

Cheers for the advice

If you want to keep costs down, you should use a BEC with the kit supplied ESC.

The TEU-101/104 BK is approved for the kit silvercan and Tamiya Sports Tuned motor. Anything "hotter" could make the ESC overheat, especially on 4WD cars and heavy monster trucks.

The TEU-302 BK is suitable for hotter motors down to 23 turns. Moosey's HS2007 build guide on Tamiya101 recommends a GT Tuned motor (25 turns).

the transmitter came with one receiver,servo for steering and the battery cradle is that right?

Yes.

The TEU-101/104 BK is approved for the kit silvercan and Tamiya Sports Tuned motor. Anything "hotter" could make the ESC overheat, especially on 4WD cars and heavy monster trucks.

The TEU-302 BK is suitable for hotter motors down to 23 turns. Moosey's HS2007 build guide on Tamiya101 recommends a GT Tuned motor (25 turns).

Yes.

thanks for the advice mate.

I,ll build it as standard for now then.

How long will the four batteries for the servo and receiver last then?how come some models require two servos then is one for the throttle?cheers

Yes.

thanks for the advice mate.

I,ll build it as standard for now then.

How long will the four batteries for the servo and receiver last then?how come some models require two servos then is one for the throttle?cheers

I don't know how long the receiver batteries will last.

Servos: Usually, you only need 1 servo for steering. But older models (not the re-releases) are equipped with a MSC (mechanical speed controller) instead of an ESC (electronic speed controller). A MSC would need the 2nd servo.

If you want to build your Hot Shot per standard, that's OK! You can always upgrade electronics and motor later, if you feel the need to. Ball bearings (you mentioned you've got them already) are however something that should be used from the beginning to improve speed, battery run time and to prevent wear.

i bought a hornet many moons ago second hand so it was built but i remember it having two servos thats why i thought i did not need the battery cradle.

Will my reciever have three wires to it?

ESC.servo and battery cradle?

cheers think im getting there.ha

im deffo gonna fit the bearings and replace the standard plastic ones.

Will my reciever have three wires to it?

ESC.servo and battery cradle?

Yes. If the cable plugs doesn't seem to fit the receiver, just cut off the "noses" on the plugs.

For some more useful instructions how to build, setup and maintain the hotshot, take a look at this topic:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63955

im deffo gonna fit the bearings and replace the standard plastic ones.

have a look at ceramic bearings their a little expencive but well worth the extra cost .

Yes. If the cable plugs doesn't seem to fit the receiver, just cut off the "noses" on the plugs.

Hi guys just to clear things up when using my kit TEU-104BK ESC with accoms gr-24 reciever and as17 servo.

1 connect the battery cradle to the reciever(4xAA)

2 connect steering servo to the reciever

3 connect the ESC to the reciver but remove the nose/lug

THERE is now NO need to conect the ESC to the 7.2 battery and the ESC battery wire to the reciver as my 4xAA,s are connected.

told you i was a beginner

cheers

THERE is now NO need to conect the ESC to the 7.2 battery

See step 4

and the ESC battery wire to the reciver as my 4xAA,s are connected.

Correct - no battery wire from ESC to receiver, as it's not recommended by Acoms to run the GR-24 receiver and AS-17 servo on 7.2 V.

next steps:

4. Connect 7.2 V battery pack to ESC (Tamiya plug).

5. Connect ESC to motor (motor plugs).

Done.

See the Hot Shot manual for color codes of the motor wires.

It's not a shame to ask, as all these electronics were THE thing to confuse me when I was building my first R/C car.

Let me guess, your transmitter is an Acoms Technisport (Techniplus called in some countries) 2.4G II? (just like this, but with 1 servo instead of 2)

Correct - no battery wire from ESC to receiver, as it's not recommended by Acoms to run the GR-24 receiver and AS-17 servo on 7.2 V.

next steps:

4. Connect 7.2 V battery pack to ESC (Tamiya plug).

5. Connect ESC to motor (motor plugs).

Done.

Let me guess, your transmitter is an Acoms Technisport (Techniplus called in some countries) 2.4G II? (just like this, but with 1 servo instead of 2)

No mate its a accoms techniplus 2.4G stick type.sounds the same apart from the obvious.

i was,nt sure i needed to connect to the 7.2 volt battery(tamiya plug)to the ESC if using the cradle type to power the reciever and servo.

how come they dont make it simple and provide the BEC you mentioned.seems an easier method especially as space is tight as you said?

wots the score with that ESC plug which has to have that lug removed all seems messing about for nothing.ha.

thanks for your help mate

how come they dont make it simple and provide the BEC you mentioned.seems an easier method especially as space is tight as you said?

I don't know the reason why Tamiya did this, but keep in mind most AM and FM receivers do already include a BEC (thus no need for a BEC in ESC), while 2.4G receivers often don't. Those entry-level Tamiya ESCs had been developed back in the day when 2.4G transmitters still had a high price tag, and most kits were supplied with MSCs instead of ESCs.

I don't know the reason why Tamiya did this, but keep in mind most AM and FM receivers do already include a BEC (thus no need for a BEC in ESC), while 2.4G receivers often don't. Those entry-level Tamiya ESCs had been developed back in the day when 2.4G transmitters still had a high price tag, and most kits were supplied with MSCs instead of ESCs.

alright mate i had a question for the model shop about buying a BEC and this is the reply i got.

Hi Karl,

All modern receivers have bec circuits (battery eliminator circuits) so they can run off the main battery. You are fine to run this ESC and receiver off the main battery for the car.

Best regards,

Cross Green

Otley

West Yorkshire

LS21 1HD

England

Phone: +44 (0) 1943 466535

Fax: +44 (0) 1943 850810

Email: sales@modelsport.co.uk

Web: www.modelsport.co.uk

The seller is correct.

All new receivers have BEC circut in them, so does the Tamiya BK101 etc..

There are NO need for the extra four batteries to power the receiver.

Plug the steering servo to ch1.

Plug the ESC (speedcontroller) into ch2.

The red plug (called BEC plug by Tamiya) plugs into ch3 or where a extra ch is located, and make sure the red and black wires are connected in the right places, usually black on the outermost side of the receiver.

If you have only 2ch receiver, buy a y servo cable so you can power to the red BEC plug..

Nearly all of my cars (10+) are running BK101 esc's and they work very fine without the extra batteries thank you :lol:

And if you connect both the RED BEC plug AND a 4 battery box, you will frye the receiver or the ESC or both in the prosses after some time...

GregM: Get your facts straigth before you give advice to others...

Most receivers give out 5V to the servos (some crawler spec gives more), so the servoes will never see 7V connected via the receiver.

To be able to give servoes 7V, they must run external BEC unit that power the servoes directly from the 7.2 pack..

Please see this topic for details regarding the Acoms GR-24 receiver and Tamiya's TEU101BK ESC:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63738

As far as you and I know, one could use the GR-24 outside of its specifications, but there's no guarantee that this won't do any harm in the long run. So I will not recommend it.

Please see this topic for details regarding the Acoms GR-24 receiver and Tamiya's TEU101BK ESC:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63738

As far as you and I know, one could use the GR-24 outside of its specifications, but there's no guarantee that this won't do any harm in the long run. So I will not recommend it.

alright mate think i,ll go for it using the method the shop said to use.

Any problems then its down to them.

Gonna start building soon(hopefully if i get time).

Cheers anyway