Sign in to follow this  
Bromers65

My new purchase

As some of you may have seen in the "I received from the postman today" section, last week i bought another Sand Scorcher. This isnt any old sand scorcher though, but one prepared by Volksrod. Now, being i am a classic VW Mechanic by trade, I am a big believer in building something yourself if you are going to use it. But when I saw this I just had to have it. I think there was a bit of too-ing and fro-ing with another prospective buyer, but in the end I stuck in there and won it in auction.

A few of you requested i start a thread on it, and show some more detailed pictures. So this is it.

I'll start at the beginning, when I bought it he mentioned that there had been some interferance with the radio gear whilst running it. For this reason it had only been run for 5 minutes or so before packing it away. After numerous swaps of receivers and transmitters it was diagnosed as possibly being the motor that was causing the propblems. So when I bought it he included a spare motor for me to try in it. I tried fitting this the other night but wouldnt quite go, but luckily I had a spare original motor from my other project that is surplus. Twenty minutes later all fitted and had it running perfectly with no interferance. Result. The spare motor i fitted couldnt have been used much over the years as it certainly had a spring in its step! Even better.

Heres a couple of pics for now, i will upload some more detailed ones later today.

Scorcher1.jpg

Scorcher2.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

Scorcherinside.jpg

Scorcherinside2.jpg

Its running a stock Silver can, with run of the mill Modelsport generic type ESC and old school Acoms radio gear.

The front assembly is powder coated whilst the rear is painted black. The chassis is a modern Alloy type that has been painted black. Underneath there is an alloy Rad22rad skid plate and up front a modified Lightning Rapid bumper. The front suspension has hardened steel shafts, which were made before the re-release.

The body is beautifully prepared in a "Mooneyes" theme with a great paint job. Truly is a stunning example. The bodyshell is a brand new re-re bodykit, but with obvious mods. The arches trimmed, running boards removed, window rubbers removed, sunroof blended in, filler cap removed, the nose has been bonded on for a smooth look, rear engine lid smoothed and reshaped, custom inner arches back and front, yellow headlight lenses.....the list goes on.

I'm very much looking forward to getting this car out on the sand on the beaches here in Guernsey this weekend. I am in the throws of my own SRB restoration, and think i wanted something to play with whilst that was taking shape! I also have a thread on that project and will be updating that soon.

Future plans for this car arent too much. I pretty much want to run it as it should be (hard and on sand!) and just have fun with it. I dont see the point in putting it on a shelf and looking at it! Did think about fitting brushless system etc etc, but i couldnt do that to this model, its too nice to fool around with too much! This deserves to be left as it is!

Will update with some more detailed pics later on!

What a find . love the Moon Paint job and those inner arches have given me a plan for my blitzer .

Great example of a SRB with modern upgrades - watched it through ebay myself, but decided it was far too good for me, requiring no work lol!!

Great example of a SRB with modern upgrades - watched it through ebay myself, but decided it was far too good for me, requiring no work lol!!

haha! I thought that when i first saw it, but after a while staring at it i knew i needed to have it!

When it arrived the wife was like "what? another one?...................oh thats cute..........wow that really nice.......is that what yours will look like when you finish it?" :ph34r:

.......is that what yours will look like when you finish it?"

Yes dear, of course dear :ph34r: