Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_Mc

4x4 M-chassis

can this be done using an m-chassis as a base or am i best to get a TL-01 to cut down and use M04 arms?

Cleveland models sell a 3 Racing kit that converts a TT01 into a 4wd M sized chassis for about £35.

I may get one of these after Christmas for my WRC Fabia so I can put a Mini shell on my M03.

cheers for the info Tony, i didn't know anything about that. Definitely an option now.

now THAT is interesting . do you happen to know the hight of the front shock mounts ?

Here's mine from a couple of years ago. I have also done the TL01 conversion which I actually prefer.

post-6014-1318443778_thumb.jpg

Another option is twin motor. MO3 front. MO4 rear. Also there is that new model coming out with a TA05 VDF drivetrain.

Here's mine from a couple of years ago. I have also done the TL01 conversion which I actually prefer.

Griggy, did you prefer it as in got more satisfaction from the build, or does the TL/M chop drive better than the TT/M?

I am thinking of chopping a TL01 to build a 4WD Wild Willy, if I can get my hands one of each. How easy was the chop?

i think i'll go with a TL-01 first of all as the shell i have in mind is 225 x 165 or 175mm so i can get the exact size i need by cutting rather than converting

I've got the Controlfreax one on a TB01, with wide axles fitted to fill the arches, have they done their M Chassis one now?

Griggy, did you prefer it as in got more satisfaction from the build, or does the TL/M chop drive better than the TT/M?

I am thinking of chopping a TL01 to build a 4WD Wild Willy, if I can get my hands one of each. How easy was the chop?

Tony, to answer your question it is both really. I have always liked the way the TL drives compared to the TT & the build was satisfying because it's a one-off. I made mine 239mm to fit the M04 beetle shell but getting it down to 210mm for a mini is easy enough. The chop itself is a little daunting at first when you realise that you have just chopped a chassis in half...you just need a steady hand. The prop had to be cut down & the hardest part for me was drilling a new hole for the drive pin.

The 3racing TT/M kit is good value but I found it very brittle especially the lower arms, they would always break if you hit something. It's also very fiddly especially when trying to get it to 210mm. I ran mine 225mm with the Suzuki Swift body.

I've got the Controlfreax one on a TB01, with wide axles fitted to fill the arches, have they done their M Chassis one now?

they haven't yet but i spoke to lewis over e-mail and it will be coning in the New Year so i've got a bit of time

You could always wait for this to be released - Tamiya 4wd M chassis 210mm wheelbase

Tamiya 84255

i seen that when i did a search, it's another option but it'll be new, probably a bit expensive for me and i'd be scared to give it a good hammering up a grassy hill

Griggy, I am going to give this a go with a TL01 once I get my hands on one, I got my hands on some Plastex which is used to repair motorbike fairings and it's perfect for a 'cut and shut' chassis plus it means you don't need bracing plates to hold the chassis halves together.

that's exactly what i'm going to do Tony, got some plastex here and most of the parts i need so if i can get a TL01 cheap it'll be a go-er