beetlebanger1

how smooth is yours ?

well having run my re re scorcher with the tamiya diff for some time .... im not really impressed about how smooth it is ...... . have stripped the box down a few times and throughly clean , degrease and then relube all the bearings . but when i come to the diff ...... it still feels like its got grit in it ..... ??? . my thorp diff that ive still got was alot smoother ..... am i balancing on the price verses quality issue here ??

i noticed when i first built the diff that it wasnt smooth before instalation ....... maybe the balls arent round (spherical) .. ?

your thoughts guys please ........

yeah the balldiff ain't that smooth if u simply threw it together

stock balls don't feel very round, you could replace with T's lightweight or TRF ceramics

the diff plates are ridged too on mine, they should be mirror smooth.

Hone them smooth with wet-n-dry on a flat surface in circular motion.

That's most likely because its made from brasss and that's not a good material for a diff and to have metal diff balls run in... why didn't they just use a plastic diff?

i remeber years ago i had a diff that had a plastic crown wheel.. and it was super smooth..... im still kicking myself for selling it .....

im going to bring the bearings to a shop and she what they say ....... but also did anyone have a problem with the little allen key bolt used to tighten the diff on the thorp diffs.. like it would round off ?????

Know what would be cool if sombody made just the brass gear it'self as a hop up out of deleron plastic now that would work like a charm!!

I replaced the balls with ceramic ones and now it's much smoother.

well having run my re re scorcher with the tamiya diff for some time .... im not really impressed about how smooth it is ...... . have stripped the box down a few times and throughly clean , degrease and then relube all the bearings . but when i come to the diff ...... it still feels like its got grit in it ..... ??? . my thorp diff that ive still got was alot smoother ..... am i balancing on the price verses quality issue here ??

i noticed when i first built the diff that it wasnt smooth before instalation ....... maybe the balls arent round (spherical) .. ?

mate,,,,very nice title ( how smooth is yours? )....Looooool...what do u mean.. :)

Just kidding.......

cheers

does anyone know if the 84113 Tamiya Ball Differential for Buggy Champ will fit the original scorcher? if not what parts would it need?

gosh, I tought this was yet another Willy thread. :)

I replaced the balls with ceramic ones and now it's much smoother.

can you shed some light on where you got your balls from and how much were they ?? ( ooo errrr mrs ) and has anyone had any trouble with the allen key bolt that tightens it up ........ ??

They were 3Racing ones (I think) from an Aussie ebay seller, under a tenner inc post. My balls are now perfect! :)

does anyone know if the 84113 Tamiya Ball Differential for Buggy Champ will fit the original scorcher? if not what parts would it need?

Yes it works right out of the bag!

Badboy

If you use ceramic balls and sand the diff rings, your diff will be smooth as silk. It's all part of prepping race cars, and really worth the effort if just enjoy working on your bashers as well.

Just put a little bearing oil onto some ultra fine sand-paper. Then place the diff ring right into the oil on the paper. Now use one of the outdrives to swirl it round and round in the oil. You do this until all the high spots on the ring have been knocked down and the face has a perfectly even finish covered in swirls.

can you find out the seller if you remeber please ....... i need my balls to be as smooth as ......... a smooth thing . all info would be greatly appreciated .. :)

also i got problems with my front body mount ... its just not secure and works its way loose after a couple of runs and since its connected to the steering i cant seem to find a permanent fix for it !! . any ideas guys ???

I got mine from the_twokeytwokeybird.

The servo saver/steering should rotate smoothly on the body post. If it doesn't, something's wrong. The post shouldn't move at all. Did you use threadlock on the post securing screw?

what did you get from the_twokeytwokeybird.

. some ball bearings ??? if so can you recommend them / supply part number ??

and regards the body mount yep i used thread lock but im just not happy with it ............ think i might have a closer look and ado a reference against the destructions to see if i messed up on sumat !

The wet / dry sandpaper method is ok if you have a slab of glass (super flat surface) to put it on. If not, and i think this works better, is a oil stone. You know the one you never use to sharpen any tools?? Oil that baby up and away you go. Figure 8 patterns work well. Smooth or rough, remember its your choice!!!!

im gona give that a atry aswell cowboy but wana make sure that ive got some round balls aswell coz i dont wana be stripping it all down again ...... ( HASSLE ) !!!!!

The wet / dry sandpaper method is ok if you have a slab of glass (super flat surface) to put it on. If not, and i think this works better, is a oil stone. You know the one you never use to sharpen any tools?? Oil that baby up and away you go. Figure 8 patterns work well. Smooth or rough, remember its your choice!!!!

I've built many diffs for racing. A table top works fine... lol

did anyone have a problem with the little allen key bolt used to tighten the diff on the thorp diffs.. like it would round off ?????

Nope, not had that problem with my Thorp SRB ball diff. But I did inherit a set of silver colored Allen keys and found that they were like toffee compared to my hardened black colored ones.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

I'm running these diffs in my two runners, at first they were very smooth. But after maney dunkings and lots of batterys, they are very narly.

I was going to replace the balls, but have found the notchy effect works in my favour! Sort of like having limited slip diffs. The only time I have had them come loose is when I have put them in the wrong way round, Doh! :) Any ways considering the amount of abuse they have had they are standing up pritty well! :)

im really after some ceramic balls but im would like some positive names to purchase them from ........ please guys .... my baby is in bits and looking very sorry ............