Sign in to follow this  
GregM

32 mm oil shocks needed

I would like to put front oil shocks on the Hornet. I have some Lunchbox shock tower brackets ready (leftovers from a screw bag to build a wheelie bar for the Hornet) and will get 2x part D8 from the Rising Fighter (shock tower reinforcements, Rising Fighter D-parts tree).

The shock length would be around 32 mm. With stock friction shocks, the Hornet has a front shock travel of around 12 mm. To be honest, I don't think I could get that much travel without fitting the wider Rising Fighter (Super Hornet?) A-arms. So the travel would be a little bit less.

However, I would like to know if there are oil shocks that will have the needed length, like Mini-Z shocks or Tamtech shocks. Made from alloy (silver color) or black plastic would be appreciated to match the Hornet's look.

I would like to put front oil shocks on the Hornet. I have some Lunchbox shock tower brackets ready (leftovers from a screw bag to build a wheelie bar for the Hornet) and will get 2x part D8 from the Rising Fighter (shock tower reinforcements, Rising Fighter D-parts tree).

The shock length would be around 32 mm. With stock friction shocks, the Hornet has a front shock travel of around 12 mm. To be honest, I don't think I could get that much travel without fitting the wider Rising Fighter (Super Hornet?) A-arms. So the travel would be a little bit less.

However, I would like to know if there are oil shocks that will have the needed length, like Mini-Z shocks or Tamtech shocks. Made from alloy (silver color) or black plastic would be appreciated to match the Hornet's look.

Look at Losi Mini T dampers, the front ones, the rear are too long at about 50mm or there..

Btw: Here you are - 32mm shocks http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?partnu...=MFD32806;c=598

But remember these uses 2mm hardware to fastem them so you have to make several collars to be able to fasten it..

Here are a tip for you, buy a pair of regular short dampers, screw off the lower ball end and mount it up side down on the Hornet.

Then take flanged nut and screw it on the dampershaft with the flage pointing to the threaded end.

Mount it on your Hornet and secure with a nut on top.

Better yet, I have a Hornet in my collection and I have just checked with my ruler..

You'll need a shock of 50mm to do the mod I just told you.

This shock http://store.rc4wd.com/The-Ultimate-Scale-...ck-_p_1366.html is 57mm eye to eye uncompressed and with the ball end of it should be around 50mm long..

And if the damper has too little threads to be able to mount two nuts, secure it a wice grip and tap it with a M3 tap tool to get more threads.

Make sure not to scratch the shaft or else it will leak at some point.

Rubber O rings could be placed on each side of the shock tower to make the movment of the suspension smooth....

So in the end you should have something like this: shock up side down, nut, o ring, shock tower, o ring, washer, nut when you are finished...

The good thing about the RC4WD shock is that firstly it is small in diameter, like the stock spring, and it has a internal spring so you shoulden't need a extra spring to hold the car up.

If it turns out you need extra suport to hold the Hornet up, you can buy a stiffer spring and cut it

to correct length.. http://store.rc4wd.com/Heavy-Duty-Springs-...003_p_1399.html

Tell us how it goes mate :-)

Somme say (with a Jeremy voice) I have som clever ideas somethimes....lol

I've been looking at this too; I doubt it'll make much difference to the handling (not enough sprung weight in the body) but it's a bit of fun. I read that the Super Hornet has A-arms that fit the Hornet tub, which is practically the same, and this has underslung lower shock mounts which take standard short Tamiya shocks, or aftermarket equivalents. You use the original stamped steel bracket and at the other end of the shock, to mount the shock to the top of the shock tower. I might try this one day; it certainly increases your choice of shocks.

Super Hornet a arms are Grasshopper 2 A arms and they are wider than Hornet/Grasshopper 1 A arms.

They virtually don't fit on Hornet chassis but with a little file you can eliminate 1 mm of material each side of the chassis to obtain your objective.

With wider A arms you miss only higher front shock towers to mount standard Tamiya dampers.

Grasshopper 2 Chassis has slightly higher front shock towers than Grasshopper 1 chassis but with a little spacer inside the dampers you can obtain the right neutral camber on front wheels.

Max

I've been looking at this too; I doubt it'll make much difference to the handling (not enough sprung weight in the body) but it's a bit of fun. I read that the Super Hornet has A-arms that fit the Hornet tub, which is practically the same, and this has underslung lower shock mounts which take standard short Tamiya shocks, or aftermarket equivalents. You use the original stamped steel bracket and at the other end of the shock, to mount the shock to the top of the shock tower. I might try this one day; it certainly increases your choice of shocks.