Sign in to follow this  
spudtrooper37

My Monster Beetle Restoration

Bought a Monster Beetle a while ago of flee bay, it was real good condition. Came with manual, new window, new driver, front bumper and press parts bag.

This is how it came:

DSC04679.jpg

With the extras:

DSC04686.jpg

The only things i got new for it was Chassis parts, body mounts, rear bumber and MSC (got these form zakspeed) thanks for the help.

New original decal set and Blitzer beetle body of flee bay

New Chassis:

DSC04786.jpg

New MSC:

DSC04784.jpg

DSC04789.jpg

So, striped and cleaned. managed to get the red paint of the body but the grey under coat was that thick and rubbery that i decided to get a new body.

So i sold the body, driver figure, rear bumper and MSC to fund getting the new parts i needed.

New Futaba system that i have had for a while. It has been waiting to go into a Monster Beetle:

DSC02168.jpg

This is my start on the build as per manual:

DSC04794.jpg

DSC04795.jpg

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04798.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04801.jpg

DSC04802.jpg

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04804.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04808.jpg

I have started on the body, there is alot of prep work, so hopefully should have that finished in next week or two

Hope you like, enjoyed doing my first resto. This is another one ticked of from my youth.

Good buy in the first place and great resto so far. Good luck with the body, take your time with the painting.

Good buy in the first place and great resto so far. Good luck with the body, take your time with the painting.

Will do Percymon, i have blended the nose cone to body, where the window get screwed to the roof noticed 3 small dents that needed filling and also the mold lines needed sanding too.

Went halfords to get the paint and on the way there i was looking at red cars, thinking i like that, don't like that, thats nice red.

Then i saw a Mini and really liked that red, found it Halfords, it is 'Mini Chilli Red'

Excellant - glad those parts are finally being used, i've had them near in 7 years sat in a box . dont forget to leave me feedback :lol:

You say you got your spray from Halfords. Make sure its not cellulose (not even sure if you can still get that its such a long time since I got paint from halfords), if it is you'll melt the shell. You need acrylic paint, I got the spray paint for my Monster beetle from a car shop 25 years ago (may have been halfords, but it was a long time ago), and it still looks reasonable. I've got Tamiya paint for the beetle's little sister (Mud Blaster/frog hybrid); a nice metallic red.

You say you got your spray from Halfords. Make sure its not cellulose (not even sure if you can still get that its such a long time since I got paint from halfords), if it is you'll melt the shell. You need acrylic paint, I got the spray paint for my Monster beetle from a car shop 25 years ago (may have been halfords, but it was a long time ago), and it still looks reasonable. I've got Tamiya paint for the beetle's little sister (Mud Blaster/frog hybrid); a nice metallic red.

Your actually ok using Halfords paints on Tamiyas, But you must use plastic primer (halfords primer is fine) If you dont use plastic primer the thinners eats into the plastic. Check my showroom out - all mine are done in Halfords paints with either grey or white plastic primer depending on the outer colour

Hi, thank you for all your comments.

This is where i am upto on the body, it has had its final coat of red now, will give it another rub down then a couple of clear coats should do the trick

Unfortunatly the flouresent light does not do the colour justise, weather has not been good to take outside shots

DSC04816.jpg

Smoothed nose cone

DSC04812.jpg

It has been a while, but we had a good week of sun a while ago, so it gave me chance to finish of the painting of the body.

Applied the decals, just need to finish of the paint details.

DSC05675.jpg

DSC05678.jpg

DSC05679.jpg

DSC05690.jpg

Very nice restoration on that Beetle, the paint looks fantastic.

That looks brilliant...one of my all time favourite vintage machines is that Monster Beetle... I REALLY want one of those too!!!

Very well done on the restoration, I'm very jealous...

That is really nice! and you took off those mold lines, always looks bad when people spend ages on a paint job and forget to remove the mold lines. Well done it looks fantastic.