dj destiny

Hotshot & Midnight pumpkin

I recently decided it was time to get a rere Hotshot after yearning for one since my mate got his when they were first released.

So built that and posted a pic on good old Facebook, a mate then replies saying I've got one of those in the loft!

A quick chat later and it's mine, an original Hotshot :lol:

I've only got the one photo he sent so far, but it looks fairly complete from what I can see:

b5920b7b.jpg

He is also including an MP and in his words, "a load of spares!"

Will update once I collect it and post some better photos

53dd2144.jpg

The only things i can see missing from your hotshot pic are a spotlight and a steering link. Not bad for an old car

The only things i can see missing from your hotshot pic are a spotlight and a steering link. Not bad for an old car

That's all I spotted too, I won't run it but will clean it up as best I can

That's all I spotted too, I won't run it but will clean it up as best I can

Nah ya gotta run it. I got a original from another forum which i rebuilt . now looks new. Which i`m gunna run in our local club on the Vintage Nights that they do.

Nah ya gotta run it. I got a original from another forum which i rebuilt . now looks new. Which i`m gunna run in our local club on the Vintage Nights that they do.

I've got the rere for a runner :)

Picked them both up tonight, they are both as good as complete from what I can see!

Im putting the MP aside for now and concentrating on the Hotshot.

Ive only had a quick look this evening, will take some better photos in the day light tomorrow, but so far I can see:

Missing foglight

Steering servo horn missing

Aerial mounting point broken (but have the bits)

Bumper just needs refitting

Dented roof

So all in all, very pleased so far!

Ive got a bag (period Happy Shopper one haha!) with various spares in, and rather pleased that he also managed to find the manual which has no rips or tears atall :rolleyes:

Couldnt resist one quick pic tonight....

Old V new :D

hotshots.jpg

Im not sure how far this is going to go yet!

I cannot decide if I want to just clean it all up and keep it original, or buy new bits where needed.

No doubt time will tell, and also when I start taking it apart!

So far, I can see the following:

Incorrect front drive shafts

Dented roof

Steering servo horn missing

Aerial mounting point broken

Atleast one drive shaft bent

One black wheel mount

One side of the front suspension hangs a lot lower than the other (any ideas?)

Dirt, dust and grease... lots of it!

Feel free to spot any other incorrect parts, Im sure you lot are more knowledgeable than me :rolleyes:

So, onto the bit you all want to see, photos!

P1060658.jpg

P1060657.jpg

P1060656.jpg

P1060654.jpg

P1060653.jpg

P1060652.jpg

P1060651.jpg

P1060650.jpg

P1060649.jpg

P1060648.jpg

P1060647.jpg

P1060646.jpg

P1060645.jpg

P1060644.jpg

P1060643.jpg

P1060642.jpg

P1060641.jpg

P1060640.jpg

P1060639.jpg

P1060638.jpg

P1060636.jpg

P1060635.jpg

P1060634.jpg

P1060633.jpg

P1060632.jpg

P1060631.jpg

P1060630.jpg

P1060629.jpg

P1060628.jpg

Regarding the MP, I did a temp fix on the steering servo horn, and have verified that it runs. That will just get a quick tidy up and will let my step son use it.

I will start a separate thread for it at some point

The melted rubber bags looks very familiar.. :) Same as the hotshots that i have... :(

Nice find.. Only a few bits missing or to be replaced & a good cleaning it should be all good.. :)

The melted rubber bags looks very familiar.. :( Same as the hotshots that i have... :D

Nice find.. Only a few bits missing or to be replaced & a good cleaning it should be all good.. :)

A good clean :) Thats an understatement. Has it been kept in a sand dune :o

Today I started the strip down, the list of parts to replace is growing, but thankfully not by many.

The front right upright has been replaced with a black unknown one at some point, which explains why it didnt sit level!

The plastic wheel bearings were so worn they just fell out. As its not going to be a runner, I will replace them with the plastic ones I didnt use on my rere Hotshot.

One side on the rear had so much play you could move the wheel nearly 1cm side to side!

There is so much grease it has actually preserved the joints very well, obviously the trade off being all the muck it attracted, but atleast that can just be washed off!

Onto some pics....

The offending alien upright

strip1.jpg

There's a pin in there somewhere! LOL

strip2.jpg

strip3.jpg

strip4.jpg

Muck

strip5.jpg

More muck!

strip8.jpg

I wonder when these last saw light?

strip6.jpg

Im not going to even try to clean this up, especially with the melted rubber bag stuck all over it.

It can be replaced with my hardly used rere one.

strip10.jpg

Thats all for now, next job will be to strip the suspension and gearboxes

strip9.jpg

Still trying to decide if I should get a new body for it as the hole for the missing foglight is too big for a replacement, unless you use a big washer, which will still make it look messy.

Front uprights and suspension needs replacing, even on the complete side it has loads of play on the ball joints.

So far, that is all that needs to be bought, so Im pretty happy with that!

This is my first restoration, so any feedback good or bad would be very welcome! :lol:

I stripped the rear suspension and gearbox today, then cleaned and rebuilt the gearbox.

Ive used new plastic bearings to replace the worn ones and reassembled it all dry as its not going to be a runner.

The gears were all in good shape with no uneven wear.

Rear suspension stripped.

Does anyone have a tip for removing the C/E clips without bending them?

rear1.jpg

One very dirty rear box!

rear2.jpg

Cracked open for the first time in years no doubt

rear3.jpg

Thats better!

rear4.jpg

A back together with new motor from my rere Hotshot.

Rear suspension clean and rebuild next :D

rear5.jpg

From this pic:

P1060635.jpg

It looks like the rear stabilizer was not hooked into the roll cage. That would probably explain why the rear was sitting lopsided.

- James

Brilliant find mate. good luck with the resto, I'd have that over a re-re any day <_<

Cheers, I'm well pleased with it so far!

I cleaned and rebuilt the rear suspension this morning, will post some more pics soon.

I think the hardest bit is going to be sourcing some correct front drive shafts <_<

The not sitting level issue was down to the incorrect front upright, but well spotted on the rear anti roll bar, it had popped out of its hangers on the roll cage

Now in the process of rounding up parts to sort the incorrect front upright and suspension bits.

Already sourced an original ball joint bag so they are correct and not rere hex ones.

Original pressed parts bag arrived today mainly for the suspension bits but also the added bonus of a new roof to replace the bent one and screw guard plate which was also missing.

Interesting to note it is silver, the rere one is black. I've never seen that mentioned in the differences between vintage and rere

Sorted out the electrics, although its not going to be a runner I plugged in a battery and was pleased that everything worked perfectly.

Its not had any power for about 10 years. I was'nt expecting it to run as it was all covered in grease and dirt, the tub was as dirty inside as the photos show on the outside!

b1.jpg

Chassis all cleaned up inside

b2.jpg

Making progress.... pretty much on hold now until parts arrive apart from fitting the wheels, bumper and battery holders

b3.jpg

I think its going to have to have a new body and repro stickers to complete everything <_<

Sorted out the electrics, although its not going to be a runner I plugged in a battery and was pleased that everything worked perfectly.

Its not had any power for about 10 years. I was'nt expecting it to run as it was all covered in grease and dirt, the tub was as dirty inside as the photos show on the outside!

b1.jpg

Chassis all cleaned up inside

b2.jpg

Making progress.... pretty much on hold now until parts arrive apart from fitting the wheels, bumper and battery holders

b3.jpg

I think its going to have to have a new body and repro stickers to complete everything <_<

If you need 1 spot light i got one . had 3 of in a deal i did earlier. let me know.

Finally the vintage upright parts arrive, it almost seems a shame to open it!

But as I want it to be correct and not rere ball joints with hex then it's got to be done ;)

More pics coming up, just need to find some front drive shafts still after missing out on the last set to come up for sale :lol:

dae72875.jpg

This is a great write up and the Hotshot looks EXCELLENT! It's great to see another closet or attic bound classic come out and get the ol' spit and polish. Keep on posting up the pics and great job!

Looking good!

Yeah, those original driveshafts are a pain to find now. It makes it even harder that the front/rear driveshafts are different.

- James

Some progress!

I still have some minor bits needed to complete it, ,and a new body after Xmas I think.

It's just those front drive shafts that I'm annoyed about :(

A few phone photos, I will take some decent ones over the weekend.

Old and new ;)

6c25d538.jpg

93a56096.jpg

068f1c77.jpg