Wez-li

Who needs a re-re? Egress restore thread!

Latest project arrived today, It was a risky impulse buy, the pics weren't great and the auction was ending soon so no time to ask questions, placed a bid and here it is!

2011-10-18162920.jpg

2011-10-18162934.jpg

2011-10-18162943.jpg

2011-10-18162952.jpg

2011-10-18162957.jpg

I could see in the auction pics there was no shell, damaged rear hubs, I've taken a few pics but will get it on the operating table later to see what's needed.

Few spare parts included too...

2011-10-18162258.jpg

This should keep me going through winter!

Comments and advice welcome as usual :P

If there are any parts you need that are shared with the Vanquish or Astute then i may be able to help you out - not sure on the hubs without checking the manuals :P but i think i have a spare hub(s) for both as i swapped the Astute ones out for Madcap when i discovered one was held together with pritstick !

Cheers mate, pretty sure the Astute ones are different, but it may share C parts with Avante 2011, not checked yet.

Gonna start working on it tonight, will post up here or send you an email :P

Nice buy!!

I've got an Egress due for resto next year (I work on my railway during the colder months). Someone thought it would be an awesome idea to superglue the ESC to the top deck :P Thinking of sending the fibre bits to fibrelyte for some custom bits. I went to test the suspension on mine by pushing down gently on the car and it just stayed on the ground :)

I'm painting mine the colour it was reviewed in Radio Race Car - think I've got close to the colour used. I do need the servo linkage though.

Nice buy!!

I've got an Egress due for resto next year (I work on my railway during the colder months). Someone thought it would be an awesome idea to superglue the ESC to the top deck :P Thinking of sending the fibre bits to fibrelyte for some custom bits. I went to test the suspension on mine by pushing down gently on the car and it just stayed on the ground :)

I'm painting mine the colour it was reviewed in Radio Race Car - think I've got close to the colour used. I do need the servo linkage though.

I like that colour, not sure what I'll do for mine, long way off!

I'm also missing the steering servo link, but think I might have a spare from a 2001 somewhere if it fits.

Rear hubs are off Vanquish, now re-re'd on the Vajra.

cheers, do the Avante 2011 ones not fit then?

I like that colour, not sure what I'll do for mine, long way off!

I'm also missing the steering servo link, but think I might have a spare from a 2001 somewhere if it fits.

cheers, do the Avante 2011 ones not fit then?

Thats cool.........and i do believe u will enjoy restoring the Egress.

BTW, i have all the parts from my pulling -out one......

just tell me what is missing and i will help u....

really getting exited to see the progress of restoring this

cheers

Good to see you're up for the challenge, impressive because an Egress restore isn't the easiest! Surely better now with the re-re Avante but still a real challenge.

I did mine before the re-re, you can see what's involved. Actually, I have a ton of parts left over than that restore in storage that I need to sort out.

From your pics it looks really original, it even looks like the kit springs and Ti screws are mostly intact which isn't that common. I couple of good-to-have parts in the spares box too.

Keep us posted, I'm looking forward to the journey. :P

The c-parts (hubs) are the same for all Avante chassis.

The servo link is the same from the 2001 to the Egress. If this is going to be a runner, I would say hold off for the new Vajra or 2011 Ball-race steering set link. It looks beefed up with ball connectors at both ends. The updated ball-diffs look WAY BETTER too.

0230.jpg

Thanks for the comments / advice guys. I spent the evening stripping the Egress.

Took a few pics along the way for those who are interested :rolleyes:

2011-10-18213203.jpg

2011-10-18214511.jpg

2011-10-18215912.jpg

Dirty!

2011-10-18221837.jpg

2011-10-18225518.jpg

Will continue tomorrow...

Wez-li congrats on the Egress pick up. This has got me amped to get off my butt and get my Egress build out of the box. Funny thing is that mine is missing the steering servo link too. I just need to find the front crossmember (behind the front bumper, the front arm hinge pins attach to it) and the steering servo link and I'm there.

Please PM me if any of you Egress nuts can help with these? Mine has been boxed since March and I'm starting to think about it late at night now. :rolleyes:

Fortunately most parts including nearly all of the plastic is still available. A bit pricey to restore but well worth it aye. Good luck mate, I too will be watching this with interest.

how much u paid for this ????

wao,,,looks like a lot of cleaning job waiting for u....

can wait to see how it will look like.....

and for any help, we glad to assist u mate

all the best

cheers

:rolleyes: Can't wait to see this finished . Looks like it's going to be a excellent build .

Just love these types of build threads , with all the detail pic's etc .

Thanks Wez-li , we all will be looking a scrutinizing :P:D .

Wez, this is about how far you got with the Astute wasn't it. :rolleyes:

Make sure you let us know if this one suffers the same fate!

Cheers guys, got the day off work so will get some of the parts cleaned and work out what needs replacing.

Wez, this is about how far you got with the Astute wasn't it. :rolleyes:

Make sure you let us know if this one suffers the same fate!

Ha, yeah fair comment, I'll be finishing this one though mate, the Egress is more special to me than the Astute, and has less broken parts to replace lol

how much u paid for this ????

Now that would be telling!

Have a look in fleabay UK completed listings, it should be there, just don't look under "egress" as you won't find it :rolleyes:

I like a challenge but it has to be said, if given the choice between what you have in front of you or a re issue Egress, there isn't going to be much, if any deliberation on my part unfortunately! :D

It looks like it's going to keep you busy, which is good. Sounds like you got an absolute bargain so hopefully it won't be too aggressive on the finances either

Unfortuntately, there is no choice between this and a re-issue Egress, because unless you know something I don't, there is no re-issue egress :rolleyes:

Cleaned the plastic parts by soaking them overnight in water and washing up liquid, then got rid of any dirt that was left with a toothbrush and cloth.

2011-10-19121536.jpg

Will clean the hi-cap dampers next, not sure if the springs are all correct, one is defo shorter and they are all a bit perished. I do have some spares (pictured) but they aren't a proper set either.

2011-10-19124304.jpg

Wez I know but it was you who was implying intonation in your forum thread title. 'Who needs a re-re?', well i do if faced with what you have in front of you. I was merely answering your question :)

And unfortunately i don't know although i know a few members on here are pretty certain it will come. One of which has been pretty accurate with his information in the past so only time will tell

Ah I see what you mean mate!

Well I agree, I'd love an nib too, but thats not really an option! I was just trying to be funny, I guess comedy isn't my strong point lol

I do enjoy resto projects, maybe even more than new builds, I'm a glutton for punishment :)

Cleaned the plastic parts by soaking them overnight in water and washing up liquid, then got rid of any dirt that was left with a toothbrush and cloth.

2011-10-19121536.jpg

Will clean the hi-cap dampers next, not sure if the springs are all correct, one is defo shorter and they are all a bit perished. I do have some spares (pictured) but they aren't a proper set either.

2011-10-19124304.jpg

Yhats great mate................shiny shiny

wat liquid u used?

Yhats great mate................shiny shiny

wat liquid u used?

I just use normal washing up liquid & elbow grease for the plastics, then I use this cleaner/degreaser on the metal parts.

utf-8BSU1HMDEwMzctMjAxMTA3MDctMTEzNS5qcGc.jpg

Cleaned up the Hi-Caps and refilled with fresh damper oil.

2011-10-19150438.jpg

Cleaned all the metal parts today too.

Front

2011-10-19142545.jpg

Rear

2011-10-19144815.jpg

nice purchase, and you are really getting on with the restoration. Great pics too.

I really should follow your example and get a few of my projects a bit nearer to completion...

2011-10-19124304.jpg

I believe the correct springs are the three in the lower right. They should be a dull gold color baring any oxidation. Unfortunately it looks like your missing a front.

Also: Keep a close eye on those titanium king-pin screws. They are impossible to find now. You should have 12 total (8 front & 4 rear). I sold my spare bagged set about 4 years ago for crazy money!

And keep a close eye on the metal blocks that sit down in the front A-arms (not shown in your photos). The ones that the lower damper mounts push against. I've never seen these for sale apart from the Impossible to find Egress damper bag.

I believe the correct springs are the three in the lower right. They should be a dull gold color baring any oxidation. Unfortunately it looks like your missing a front.

Also: Keep a close eye on those titanium king-pin screws. They are impossible to find now. You should have 12 total (8 front & 4 rear). I sold my spare bagged set about 4 years ago for crazy money!

And keep a close eye on the metal blocks that sit down in the front A-arms (not shown in your photos). The ones that the lower damper mounts push against. I've never seen these for sale apart from the Impossible to find Egress damper bag.

Cheers, thanks for the info. Which metal blocks do you mean? :)