Hulton100

2010 Sand Scorcher

I've just bought the new 2010 sand scorcher. My question is which battery to use. The tamiya manuel says to use a 6.6 racing pack m-size, on ebay and it costs £40.00. I've had a look at some discussions on the forums and it appears as if the 2200mah overlander is the one to use. I'm not very well conversed with batteries, so can someone please tell which battery to get and the amount of run-time I would get out of it running it on sand dunes. Also, would I have to buy a different charger or can i use the same one for NiCd/NiMH Cheers

If moving to lipo or life batteries, then you will need a new charger, there much cheaper these days and the move to lipo is well worth it. i use a turnigy 2200mah 2cell lipo in my re-re scorcher, same size as overlander. i get really good runtimes, never timed it but got to be much better than nicad or nimh.

If moving to lipo or life batteries, then you will need a new charger, there much cheaper these days and the move to lipo is well worth it. i use a turnigy 2200mah 2cell lipo in my re-re scorcher, same size as overlander. i get really good runtimes, never timed it but got to be much better than nicad or nimh.

Hi, had a look on ebay. Will the Turnigy 2200mAh 3S1P 11.1v 40C-50C Lipo Battery do the job. Coundn't find a 2 cell battery like you suggested. Will the yellow connectors from the battery fit into my Tamiya ESC TEU-104BK. I appreicate your comments as I've only just got back in RC and batteries have changed from over 25yrs ago.

Hi there, a 3cell pack will be far too much for a stock tamiya esc, try these the connector fitted is the xt60 i believe these are the deans replacement, if you dont want to swap your esc connector then order one of these but i would recommend changing and are available here also if your planning on using a tamiya esc or another esc that doesn't have a lipo voltage cut-off, then you need to either order a lipo alarm like one of these to protect you new battery from discharging too far or buy a lipo protector off ebay, these are around £8 delivered and will actually cut power to the motor when voltage gets down to what you have set it at, much safer.

hope that helps and feel free to ask for more info if needed.

Hi there, a 3cell pack will be far too much for a stock tamiya esc, try these the connector fitted is the xt60 i believe these are the deans replacement, if you dont want to swap your esc connector then order one of these but i would recommend changing and are available here also if your planning on using a tamiya esc or another esc that doesn't have a lipo voltage cut-off, then you need to either order a lipo alarm like one of these to protect you new battery from discharging too far or buy a lipo protector off ebay, these are around £8 delivered and will actually cut power to the motor when voltage gets down to what you have set it at, much safer.

hope that helps and feel free to ask for more info if needed.

OK, i'm trying to get my head around this......phew. What your suggesting is to cut the tamiya connectors from my ESC and replace them with the connectors from Hobbyking. I gather the lipo alarm fits into the connector that comes out of the lipo battery pack. Would this alarm work for me? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-4V-11-1V-RC-Li...Alarm-Indicator and could you give me a UK website that sells a lipo battery that I need. Bit of history for you........i bought my very first Tamiya Sand Scorcher from Littlewoods catalogue at a price of £72.00. 25 yrs later i bought a re-release at £250 from ebay. In the good old days I just bought a battery and away I went. Its far to complicated these days, but I gather the lipo has a longer running time than the NiMh battery. Thanks again for your help.

Geoff

Well, as far as I know, the TEU-104-BK is just the one made for use with LiPo and LiFe-batteries, and already comes with LiPo.cutoff in the kit, so no need to buy a second one. It would not make sense for Tamiya to recommend a special battery for a car, knowing that the electronics would not be "battery-friendly"..

When looking for LiPo´s places like HobbyKing (which is an excellent shop IMO), just be sure to find a 2S battery, that will fit inside your radiobox, and the LiPo´s at HobbyKing all have a size comparison chart in their description, making finding suitable batteries a breeze.

I have just ordered 4 packs for my SS 2010, but up till now, i have run it on LRP 1600 mAh 7,2 volt mini-packs, designed for use in the 1/18 style of buggyes and truck, and as it is very small, it fits neatly into the radiobox, but with LiPo-batteries, there are several advantages as: 1. You have more runtime (like for instance 2200 vs. 1600 mAh), 2. The LiPo consistently delivers the specified voltage.. No drops in power as NiMh-batteries have, and 3. You will have 0.2 more volts from the beginning, and trust me, there really IS much more punch in a 7.4 v LiPo than in a 7.2 v NiMh or NiCad, so absolutely no plan in getting NiMh-batteries anymore.

Just follow the pretty easy rules of charging, storing and using LiPo´s, and you probably wont experience any problems using them at all. <_< (Using correct, high-curent plugs and good, compatible charger with the correct charge plugs, obeying the instructions for charging, usage of packs and so on)...

Good luck with your car.. Hope you have fun with it. :D

Cheers..

Michael

The TEU-104BK does included a LiFe-cutoff, but no LiPo-suitable cutoff. Tamiya itself does only sell LiFe-batteries, not LiPos.

The TEU-104BK does included a LiFe-cutoff, but no LiPo-suitable cutoff. Tamiya itself does only sell LiFe-batteries, not LiPos.
Just going to say the same, and yes the lipo alarm plugs into the balance plug.

Im strugglinh to find any shops in the uk that stock 2200mah 2s lipo's, maybe someone else could suggest somewhere within the uk.

Thanks, I stand corrected. <_<

Good thing to know if it only cuts off on LiFe-batteries.. Bad decision IMO, as i am pretty sure LiPo´s are more common than LiFe packs.. Well, atleast here they are, lol. :D

Cheers..

Michael

new lipo pack out by racers edge

called short lipo for losi tlr22.

dimensions are:

95.5x47x25

60c/4000mah.

214 grams

racers-edge.com

dimensions look like a

perfect fit for sand scorcher battery box

and 4000mah would make long run times.

I'm not an srb expert so please check the dimensions

on your battery box.

skip

I use this one, fits in the radio box fine, and with a stock silver can and only 2 wheel drive will give over 20 minutes run time.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/u...?idProduct=9749

Their 2600mAh pack is a bit longer (+34mm) and a bit heavier (38g) - from recollection i'd hazard a guess that this pack is too long to fit across the box..

2600mAh

Pack Weight: 176g

Pack Size: 139 x 42 x 11mm

I use this one, fits in the radio box fine, and with a stock silver can and only 2 wheel drive will give over 20 minutes run time.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/u...?idProduct=9749

Their 2600mAh pack is a bit longer (+34mm) and a bit heavier (38g) - from recollection i'd hazard a guess that this pack is too long to fit across the box..

2600mAh

Pack Weight: 176g

Pack Size: 139 x 42 x 11mm

I use this same pac although its the nano tech version, perfect fit.