Sign in to follow this  
Bromers65

Question re Sand Scorcher Inteference Probs

Not sure whether to post this here, or in the "Electric" section. Correct me if i am wrong.

Basically i bought a restored sand scorcher from Volks Rod. All very nice, but there was a problem with interference when running it. It would get to about 5 meters away from you and start "glitching" stopping starting, jerking, losing control. He seemed to think it was the Motor as he had swapped receiver box etc a couple of times and was still doing it. So when i bought the car i swapped the motor (standard silver can) for one i had spare. Still no joy, running like a bag of horse manure. So it definately isnt the motor.

Granted the transmitter and receiver are quite old items, should i just bite the bullet and buy a new radio set up? could it be these? He said he swapped these around and tried different receivers/transmitters resulting in the same problems. Its currently running an ESC, is there any chance it could be this messing it up? I dont think it is, as it only happens from a certain distance and further which for me says it must be radio gear. Could an ESC mess it up like this?

Any input, ideas would be greatly received.

I have a new ESC and Tamiya Sport tuned motor to go in it. Shall i fit all these items and go get a new radio set. then surely all the possible variants have been renewed and it should stop "glitching"?.

By the sounds of it it could be a radio issue.

Is there a break in the aerial cable on the RX anywhere that you can see - the wire length is critical to reception.

Sounds silly but is the aerial screwed into the TX properly ?

Matching radio crystals - even if they say the same wavelength i've had issues before with different brand RX and TX crystals not talking full to each other.

Are there diodes fitted to the motor ? - maybe not too critical with a silver can motor but a possibility.

Since you already have a known workign system in another car i'd start swappign things around. A pair of crystals and a different TX is easy to eliminate without pulling items off cars.

went to local model shop and sourced a fairly cheap but modern tx and receiver set for a very good price. Fitted and tested around kitchen and all seemed to be ok. Will update tomorrow once i have been out to the beach with it and see what the range is like. Fingers crossed!! But so far its stopped mucking around!

went to local model shop and sourced a fairly cheap but modern tx and receiver set for a very good price. Fitted and tested around kitchen and all seemed to be ok. Will update tomorrow once i have been out to the beach with it and see what the range is like. Fingers crossed!! But so far its stopped mucking around!

Good news - fingers crossed for tomorrow

Well got down to the beach twice this weekend, had great fun. The interference is well gone and it goes very very well with the Sport tuned black motor fitted. Heres a couple of pics on teh beach, couldnt get action photos was on me own!

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00390.jpg