Sign in to follow this  
SteelRat

Block Emails from Non Members

After a couple of... "unwelcome" email messages from people not a member of the board, does anyone know if it's possible to only allow emails from members? There seems to be an option to allow or disallow PMs, but (unless I'm missing something) the option isn't there for disabling direct emails outside of the forum.

Thanks.

It looks like the only setting is "Hide my email address from other members", but I'm guessing that rules out everybody then - "Hide my email address from non-members" would be more useful...

I would just hide your email then if a member wants to mail you they can P.M. you.

What kind of emails have you had if you don't mind me asking?

Are these coming via the mainsite, or the forums?

If it's the mainsite, there's no 'block' options at all I'm afraid

The forums are setup so that only members can email each other as far as I can see

I would just hide your email then if a member wants to mail you they can P.M. you.

What kind of emails have you had if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do - I just didn't want to block out everyone. The way it's worded meant that I thought it would. As for the kind of emails I've had, let's just say that they're not really worthy of acknowledgement, but I'd rather do without them.

Are these coming via the mainsite, or the forums?

If it's the mainsite, there's no 'block' options at all I'm afraid

The forums are setup so that only members can email each other as far as I can see

Not sure Andy to be honest. They come through to my email client as "Enquiry from TamiyaClub", but the last one was flagged in red at the bottom as "Not from a Tamiya Club member" or something similar.

I think I'll do as letner suggested and hide my email address so that I can only be messaged from here via PM, rather than directly to my email. It's a shame I'm having to do that, but there you go. At least that way I'll know exactly who it is that's messaging me, rather than have them cowering behind relative anonymity.

They come from the mainsite <_<

The forum is setup so only logged in members can email you by the looks of it - Log out and try emailing someone and you'll see what I mean.

The mainsite's left 'open' as your email address is hidden from the sender, but it does at least allow non-members to trade with you (and let the odd sadsack to hassle you :D )

Post his name and email address up, that way people can filter him

There is another thread somewhere here along similar lines, but I can't find it at the minute.

I know Mongoose1983 received one from a Mike Biksinian a while back, http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=421598 but there's been a more recent one too

They come from the mainsite :)

The forum is setup so only logged in members can email you by the looks of it - Log out and try emailing someone and you'll see what I mean.

The mainsite's left 'open' as your email address is hidden from the sender, but it does at least allow non-members to trade with you (and let the odd sadsack to hassle you :) )

Post his name and email address up, that way people can filter him

To be honest I don't really trade that much on the main site (and that's nothing to do with there being anything wrong with it, I'm just a bit of a hoarder <_<)

Nah, seriously, not worth acknowledging their existence and both seperate, single instances. Don't think I'll get any additional grief from either, but just wanted to see if there was a way of tweaking the settings to limit the chance of extra ones. Never had anything like this before in nearly 3 years on here (despite my occasionally... "direct" posts) so it surprised me to get these.

Thanks for the help though guys :D

Can't you trace the IP addy of the troll and see if it is the same person who has been trolling the other members? <_<

Can't you trace the IP addy of the troll and see if it is the same person who has been trolling the other members? <_<

It's a lot of effort for someone that doesn't deserve that much time spending on them really and even so, all it's going to give me is an address in the IP range of their ISP. Given that most people don't have fixed IPs, it'll be difficult to narrow it down to a specific individual.

I just had a read up and it took me 2clicks to find an IP,

sure they can use a proxy which will change it but worth a try to see if it is the same person who has been trolling others?

Some members dissapear from the site because of these trolls. <_<

To be honest I've deleted the offending email anyway. I did reply to it, but the email address wasn't a valid one. The sender certainly wasn't called Mike; at least that wasn't the name that they left.

I do take your point that such people are part of what can drive good people away, but those kinds of people exist all over the internet and this forum is one of the nicest places on the web that I've been. You should try gaming forums; they're much, much worse. I'm certainly not going to let a faceless coward stop me from posting on here, nor am I going to let them influence my activity on here and neither should anyone else.

One thing that's also worth mentioning is that the one thing worse than hatred, is indifference. Naming and shaming, or highlighting a particular individual and showing everyone what a tool they are really just adds fuel to their self important, attention seeking fire. It's better just to ignore the email, block the sender (by what ever means is appropriate) and move on.

Good to see you haven't been put off by it, and without mentioning names I hope thats not the reason some of the long term members aren't posting as much as they used to.

post-23151-1319671078_thumb.jpg

Well, Steve Collins, thanks for your email. I'm sorry my interpretation of the differences between the DT02 and Blitzer ire you so much, but the problem is yours, not mine.

Why do you feel the need to be so rude about it? What does it matter to you that I don't think there's much of a difference? Get a grip for goodness sake.

I gave you the opportunity to put me straight in a post on this forum but given that would out you, you chose to go the private route instead to give you the opportunity to be unpleasant.

I know that in the above posts I thought it better to ignore and move on, but given the tone of this email I thought it better to be made public.

Subj: Enquiry from Tamiyaclub.com

Date: 26/10/2011 22:56:30

Show details

This message looks suspicious to our SmartScreen filters, so we've blocked attachments, pictures, and links for your safety. Show content

Hi!

To my absolute disbelief, I see you still claim that the DT-02 and the Blitzer are similar except for a "few subtle differences". So please let me repeat: Apart from a few generic parts that countless different Tamiya chassis-types share, the DT-02 and the Blitzer don't have any identical parts.

Blitzer manual here:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/58482ml.pdf

DT-02 manual here:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/58470ml.pdf

Recognising the differences isn't rocket science. It's very very plain and basic and something even the most untalented braindead Tamiya-fan should notice at the first brief glance of a picture of both chassises. But as you still are struggling, I suggest having a look at the manuals. If that doesn't help, there is no hope for you.

Best regards, Steve

Incidentally, this mail was sent from s.collins@harley-davidson.com

No doubt another false email. Coward.

It's the same guy as a previous member reported, obviously the usual keyboard warrior that can only function when hiding away

if anyone can get the sender's IP addresses, we can trace 'em and stop them actually seeing TC too

it would appear it's someone pretending to be Scollins, or he's gone on the rampage ;-) ;

tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49870&hl=davidson

if anyone can get the sender's IP addresses, we can trace 'em and stop them actually seeing TC too

In hotmail, just right click on the message and select view image source, a new window will open with loads of text but you should see this

(sender IP is 85.232.36.20)
, I think this will be different each time if they are using a proxy, depends how clever they are I suppose <_< .

I am sure there will be other ways as well? :lol:

Edit to add, I have never had one of these mails, so the IP address above is not under suspicion.

Most e-mail clients will allow you to view the full headers to reveal the IP address. If you guys find anything, let us know.

There are various investigative things we can do with the IP address instead of blocking it - if anyone has any IP addresses for the guy, please forward them to me.

Hi guys--

Way, way late to reply on this thread,,,,but in the example of TC member SteelRat getting the email from what looks to be me...

It was not me.

That is not my email address and I certainly hope this person did not continue to pose as myself and post mean hateful remarks in regards to R/C questions.

I am not that way, I do not post hateful remarks like that.

thanks

s.collins

Steve - whenever something like this happened I always checked email addresses etc. to rule those out and the system was changed shortly after that, so it shouldn't happen any more - members can only be contacted now by other members, so trolls have to register before they can message anyone.

Whoever the coward was, they knew enough about members to make their messages seem legit but had to take guesses regarding real names and email addresses.

It wasn't just messages from someone pretending to be you; several members were 'impersonated' over a couple of years and, as it didn't look like it was abating, the main site message system was locked down.

Thanks my friend, keep up the great work on this site. Still loving it so many years later,,,just as much as I did the first year.

Sorry to reply so late on this,, I have just recently gotten back into posting on TC within the last 7 days and saw this thread as well.

Merry Christmas to you and hope you have a healthy and happy 2016.

cheers

s.collins