BeetleLover

Cars getting listed less?

Lately I've been looking for Tamiya cars on Ebay to get an idea of values etc across a wide range of models for insurance purposes. Anyways I've been finding very few cars listed even across cars I would have thought to still be considered plentiful. Do you guys agree that there seems to be slim pickings at the moment on Ebay and do any of you have any ideas as to why perhaps? Are people hanging onto what they have? Are people less likely to buy vintage models and buying up new re-re's instead? Any ideas?

James

I think that maybe people will be selling near to xmas in the hope of getting better prices

I think its just one of those things. Seems to go in cycles. sometimes theres loads of cars around and some good deals, other times you struggle to find what are usually in plentiful supply. Dont think theres necessary a reason for it, just kinda the way it is

Lately I've been looking for Tamiya cars on Ebay to get an idea of values etc across a wide range of models for insurance purposes. Anyways I've been finding very few cars listed even across cars I would have thought to still be considered plentiful. Do you guys agree that there seems to be slim pickings at the moment on Ebay and do any of you have any ideas as to why perhaps? Are people hanging onto what they have? Are people less likely to buy vintage models and buying up new re-re's instead? Any ideas?

James

There is usually still some good stuff on there, what kind of stuff are you after?

Maybe the prices you can get at the moment are that rubbish(especially what we paid for them a little while back) that people would rather hang onto them than get nothing for them??

Maybe the prices you can get at the moment are that rubbish(especially what we paid for them a little while back) that people would rather hang onto them than get nothing for them??

that + amt we pay for postage + fleaBay now takes a cut of the TOTAL amt buyer pays

means that imho its too much risk for "99c" auctions anymore

because if it ends @ 99c and airmail costs $20

... then take off fleaBay's fees + paypal fees

= you're about $10 in the red

+ you've still gotta do all the work packing/taking-to-PO/provingID/etc

then if mail system loses it and you're hit with paypal claim... now you're $31 down

There is usually still some good stuff on there, what kind of stuff are you after?

Not after anything just trying to value my collection for insurance purposes but couldn't find any examples of quite a number of models...

cheers

we should maintain a sticky thread for crowd-wisdom "Value my RC car for insurance purposes"

(Or is it easier to just call them all $1k each...)

Where are you these days James old fruity? back in town or enjoying NZ?

Givent he really silly prices for some stuff int he last 2 weeks then i'd say get them all ont here now - an incomplete Egress sold for £190 last night, it needed 2 front Hicap dampers, motor, corrcet wheels etc etc etc

Would probably take £150 in parts (more if you wanted an original body set for it) to get it up to runner status !

Theres an original SRB chassis on currently thats sat at £69 with days to go - you can buy a complete rough rider for £100 or less !

Beetlelover I was thinking the same thing! I am guessing the state of the world economy has an impact also on used Tamiya. One Theory for example the past year or so the AUD (and other currencies) has been stronger than the USD, good for us Aussie buyers but not so good for the US sellers (dealing with USD) perhaps. I am sure this will all turn around when the USD gains strength. Again a theory!

I have always sold a car to help buy another

but as the price you get for used stuff has dropped to the floor

I now keep what I have as Its just not worth selling

maybe others do the same

I have always sold a car to help buy another

but as the price you get for used stuff has dropped to the floor

I now keep what I have as Its just not worth selling

maybe others do the same

Depends on what model. Monster Beetles still fetch big money, a King Cab made £90 last night, and a well used Egress minus hi-caps, made £190....

we should maintain a sticky thread for crowd-wisdom "Value my RC car for insurance purposes"

(Or is it easier to just call them all $1k each...)

Where are you these days James old fruity? back in town or enjoying NZ?

Heya Willy, yup back in Wellington New Zealand, say hey to T for me. We'll be here for some time we think, I'm working on the Hobbit so that's been keeping me pretty busy lately. A while back when I was discussing my collection to the insurance company, they suggested I get an expert to value it. Have been meaning to do an exchange with another NZ TC member to value each others collection but will also back it up with some Ebay examples, just can't find any!

Heya Willy, yup back in Wellington New Zealand, say hey to T for me. We'll be here for some time we think, I'm working on the Hobbit so that's been keeping me pretty busy lately. A while back when I was discussing my collection to the insurance company, they suggested I get an expert to value it. Have been meaning to do an exchange with another NZ TC member to value each others collection but will also back it up with some Ebay examples, just can't find any!

Hey James

Also try looking on for sale threads on sites like rc tech (as well as tc). Alot of guys are selling directly through them now and bypassing eBay all together. Much cheaper to do so due to smaller or no fees.

Cheers

Paul