Sign in to follow this  
jammin23

tt01 vs tl01

As the title says what do you guys think the best chassis would be for rallying and what hop ups would be needed to get them there! Any help would be great guys

As the title says what do you guys think the best chassis would be for rallying and what hop ups would be needed to get them there! Any help would be great guys

I think this one is very good for a rally car, and is very cheap!!!

http://www.rcmart.com/rc-tamiya-subaru-imp...273-p-4000.html

just put some bearings, a better damper set (60mm) and rally tires and it's ready to dirty.

TL01 would be better out of the box, just fit the longer shocks and tyres.

TT01 handles better after a few mods to raise the ride height, a bit of dremmel work needed on the lower arms, c-hubs and lower chassis braces.

TB01 is your heavyweight rally machine, raise the suspension, fit the inner chassis cover (which fits the TT01 too with minor mods) and it's almost bullet proof.

DF03RA or the HPI RS4 Rally are other good alternatives, I have all of these except the DF03RA, and the TB01 is the best for bashing, the RS4 Rally is the quickest.

Another option is to pick up a TG10 nitro chassis from ebay - uses most of the TB-01 parts but on a aluminium chassis plate - rip out any nitro specific bits, add a few TB01 parts (motor mount, main shaft and spur gear etc) and away you go.

Its not very well protected from dirt ingress (TB01 definitely the best for that) but it does make for a very strong chassis - i did the conversion , see the Lancia entry in my showroom >> http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...6&sid=34746

I'd agree that TB01 would be best, and TL01 would be better than TT01. One thing with the TL01 though is that your battery pack is likely to get shredded because it sticks out the sides. I've seen people make underguards before, but they'll never work as well as the other two where the battery is inside the tub.

You should also have a look at the DF03RA chassis - again the battery is enclosed, but you can at least change it from underneath...

TL01's are better at EVERYTHING than the TT01... except being a waste of money.

what would be needed for the tt01 ive got both chassis laying around not being used so not looking at getting a new one but thanks for the suggestions are any mods need to fit the bigger shocks to the tl01?

The biggest issue with jacking any chassis up with longer shocks is the drive shafts binding and having enough length on the steering rods for the full suspension travel. Tamiyas minin cva kit allows several options in the build, from ca 50mm length to ca 70mm length.

What's involved with raising the TB01 chassis, are we talking about just fitting longer shocks or are there mods for the swing arms etc? I have one that I'd like to get a bit more ground clearance but retain the rally block tyres.

What's involved with raising the TB01 chassis, are we talking about just fitting longer shocks or are there mods for the swing arms etc? I have one that I'd like to get a bit more ground clearance but retain the rally block tyres.

I just fitted the longer shocks initially, gave me 17mm at the front and 19mm at the back, more than enough for dusty ground and pea gravel. Tamiya Rally blocks help with a couple more mil.

I've since fitted the Long-Arm kit along with CV joints to my Focus Runner.

what could i do to stop the bindin? What would be required on the tt01 as thats in the best condition!

Don't go too silly when you raise the suspension, and if possible fit CVD's to replace the standard dogbones, especially at the front as ghey have the suspension and the steering to deal with.

Interesting thread as I am reviving my old and trusty TL-01 too.

Is it wise to replace the heavy propellor shaft to improve handling? The TL-01 carbon shaft is not available anymore so will another Tamiya lightweight shaft fit the TL-01?

Interesting thread as I am reviving my old and trusty TL-01 too.

Is it wise to replace the heavy propellor shaft to improve handling? The TL-01 carbon shaft is not available anymore so will another Tamiya lightweight shaft fit the TL-01?

thanks fr all the tips so far sorry for the stupid question but how do i raise the suspension is it just a case of setting it with the shock tread if so does that not add anything to the pre-load on the shocks?

You can make your own prop shaft from carbon fibre rod - you can probably scavenge some from a kite shop for free. The beauty of the TL01 prop shaft is that it doesn't have any specific features - it's just a rod with two holes drilled through...

Tried and tested way of increasing the length of the shocks fairly cheaply is to use the screws that go into PC cases to mount the motherboard on. Simply unscrew the bottom ball-eye, fit the motherboard screw to the end, then screw the ball eye back on. Presto!

Going to convert my Audi Quattro TL01 drifter to a rally car and plan on raising the car using this method.

thanks tony that guide was perfect guna go with the tt as ive got the tl driveshafts thanks again to everone else aswell