Sign in to follow this  
ideal2k

NIB collecting

In some cases three is a minimum, like in the case of the Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider, which have two factory-sanctioned color schemes. So you could argue that you would need 1 NIB, 2 shelf-queen in respective color schemes, and two runners in both schemes! Welp, time go scour Ebay again and forget about food this month!

quote:Originally posted by Rizwan

Those guys out there that do have the vintage NIB collections have generally been in the hobby a very long time or are extremely well off, or even both.

id="quote">id="quote">

AGAIN - please note that I am not reacting or taking the above comment personally - I am just giving my "story" and what I feel....id="red">[:D]

I had a car accident a couple of years ago - and without going into too much detail......I have not worked since the accident. Beleive it or not - all of my collection has been an exercise in keeping myself "sane".....while still being part of the human race !!

I am NOT rich by any stretch of the imagination. However I have been in this hobby since I was 7 years old !! (1977)......and know an awfull lot of people involved in the industry here and overseas. I have been very fortunate, (actually I beleive you make your own "luck" - but that is another story!), to make several big finds of parts and kits from old sponsors that I had over the years......I have sold a very large amount of this stuff to finance my own collection.......every cent I have gotten - has gone into my collection - or my future collection[;)].

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you really want something - you have to work for it.....there is no point getting "down" about what others have.

Yes - there are a few fortunate people who have some serious money that collect these cars -I hold no grudges.......actually - I applaud them, simply because they make the effort to secure what they want in life. Most of these people go to increadible efforts to secure their wants............maybe that is why they are "rich" now - because they know they have to work to get what they want.

Perhaps there is a lesson for all of us in that........make it happen - spend less time worrying what everyone else has - and MAKE YOURSELF happy. If that means collecting NIB kits - then sell what you dont really want or need - and MAKE your nib dream come true..(of course you have to be sensible and do this withinn your "means"). If that means having runners and new builts - or whatever "floats your boat".......make it happen and most importantly - do it because you want to.

I am proud to be a member of a communtiy that has such a diverse and interesting bunch of people. There are so many differnet ideas when you look at members cars - they are all tremendous...I also like being able to look at the NIB's others have as well...what a great place we have here.

Anyway - that is a bit about me - and some of my "philosophy" on my HOBBYid="blue">[:D]

Disclaimer [;)] : PLEASE NOTEid="red">, These are my views - and you are not expected to agree with what I say - nor are they the views of Tamiya Club at all. Please also note - that I am NOT reacting to any of the above comments personally. These are my thoughts after hearing alot of "whining" in emails and discussions with fellow collectors/enthusiasts. NONEid="red"> of these comments are meant to be taken by any of you personally at all.

My very best regards and respect

Cheers

Darryn

This whole dicussion is like 'deja-vu all over again' for me. I have just recently been turned on to 'Tamiya' racing/collecting.

For the last 6 years, along with r/c racing, I have also been a pretty hard-core "HotWheels" die-cast car collector. This whole topic of keeping items in their original packaging has been discussed in countless forums in the world of die-cast collecting for a dogs age... Some say keep'em mint, others say let them roll free...

The problem is that NIB isn't near good enough in the die-cast world. It must be MIMB or MOMC, (mint in mint box or mint on mint card). How many of you NIB owners can say that there is not a single crease, vein, and or crinkle anywhere on your boxes...??[;)]

That whole compulsion wore off pretty quickly though and I have cooled it down to the point where I am more than happy to just have a given car in my possession.

Now in the case of Tamiya r/c cars, if it's still in the box unbuilt, all the better but in my hands is great either way. There is certainly something to be said about owning something that hasn't been "touched, built, incorrectly built, modified, abused,...etc." by any human hands in it's whole lifetime.

I intend on acquiring some NIB stuff at some point myself and it is quite possible, (or more probable) that it will be built. More likely if it is a viable racing chassis though. No "Hornet" would be built to compete against the local Losi XXX's and Associated T3's...[:)] The collector in me will have a tough time holding back the racer in me...[:P]

Kirk

Nice to hear that my theory was correct - there are some people more "whacky" than us when it comes to collecting !![;)]

Every day I think about building a NIB kit - and if getting these little babies has taught me nothing else - it is to be patient !! [:D]

Good to hear all of these different opinions.

Cheers

Darryn

quote:Originally posted by simensays
quote:Still I think this threads (threaths?) are completely pointless...
id="quote">id="quote">

is that why you keep on answering them? [}:)]

id="quote">id="quote">

*sigh* Another useless post made...? [:|]

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a (vintage) NIB to build it one day. For tinkering around with cars, and rebuilding, I use mostly used cars these days. Makes me feel like I am doing a good thing, rescueing another nice (vintage or non-vintage) car from an 'uncarefull' owner... [:)] And I get to keep the stuff - cheaply... [;)] [:P]

But still that is my opinion, and as I (and others, Darryn for instance) stated before it's all about opinions which aren't really wrong or right. If you don't understand, then mayeb it's not your thing. Goes probably the same for most of us regarding barbie dolls...

Yet another 2 cent donation from me... [;)]

quote:Goes probably the same for most of us regarding barbie dolls...
id="quote">id="quote">

I guess I forgot to mention that during the past six years of HotWheels collecting, my wife has accumulated over 400 mimb Barbies... Same thing, boxes had to be mint[:(!] Arrrgh!!

Kirk

My question about all of this is what do we do with all of them long term? It is wonderful to have such things. I was just looking through my Diecast VW collection, which is now all in one place(had some stashed in different family members houses until now, as I finally bought a house) and came to think, it's a great feeling to have all of them (several hundred vw's), but what am I going to do with them now that I have them? The collection will continue to grow I'm sure, as I compulsively look for new VW toys, but eventually I'm going to pass on. I would think that the large collection would be more of a pain for the family to deal with, knowing I liked it so much would make it hard to sell, but what would they want with a large toy collection if they had not been into collecting it with me all these years.

Kinda morbid, I know, especially being as I am only 27, but just some food for thought.

Once money is not such an issue, I plan on getting all Tamiya VW's, for now I am content With just a monster beetle!

-Anthony

I would love to have all Tamiyas Raybrig NSX cars MIB. Raybrig NSX 98, Raybrig NSX 99, Raybrig NSX 2000, and the 2 Raybrig NSX 2002 cars(TA04R & TG10). Thats a personal goal for me, within the next 2-3 years or so. When money is available that is.

Thanx

Jimbo

B)

Interesting question - I was thinking about this the other day.

The way I see it - Iid="size3">id="red"> have a love for these things - so I wont force them on any family members unless they want them.........

If I knew I was dying - I would sell all of them off and set up my grandchildren - or whatever......

I will be cremated with my Sand Rovers though !! [:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

Cheers

Darryn

Think about this.....

20 years from now a guy builds his vintage NIB kit. He then runs it for twenty minutes - decides it's no longer his cup of tea. Guess what....? It's available on Ebay[:D][:D][:D]

The NIB collectors are ensuring the the hobby we love so dearly lives for another 20 years.

I love being able to run my cars now. Lets face it over time they may not survive [:(][:(]... finances, life, priorities can change. However, the opportunity to purchase one of the finest R/C cars I ever owned 2 decades from now would be the icing on my cake.

Wouldn't that something to look forward to [^].

Well, I did not want to say as much myself - THANKS on behalf of the NIB enthusiasts out there.[:X][:D][:X][:D]

Cheers

Darryn

quote:Originally posted by KirkE

I guess I forgot to mention that during the past six years of HotWheels collecting, my wife has accumulated over 400 mimb Barbies... Same thing, boxes had to be mint[:(!] Arrrgh!!

id="quote">id="quote">

Doesn't Barbie plastic (rubber?) go spotty & 'diseased' over time?? [:(]

At least diecasts will survive indefinitely.

Anyone here into cellaring your wine? [?]

I mean really cellaring it... say underground, unvariable temperature, ideal humidity - for say 20-30+ yrs?

Just wondering what thoughts go into one's mind, when contemplating opening a bottle that one bought 30+ yrs ago.

I know this thread has gone on long enought but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I've run Tamiya buggies when I was a kid (mid 80's). I loved it. I realized how fun it was at any age when I built a new one for my son this past summer.

My thanks goes out to the Tamiya RC community for existing as it has allowed me to start re-collecting those buggies from my past. Collectors who have kept NIB parts circulating have enabled me to buy a beat up Hot Shot, WW1, Porche 959 etc. and restore them to brand new condition. In fact, now that I have more experience as a model builder, the cars I am restoring are better than when I was a kid.

My thanks goes out to those who have the NIB kit collections. It's ispirational and it's a great practical resource to see how the kits were supposed to look.

It's really up to the individual what they do with this hobby. I have a hard time keeping something in the box but it certainly is a pleasure to have a display piece AND a NIB to take you back in time. People talk about what they are going to do in the future with their NIB's. For me, it takes me back in time! My kids will get everything...if they can appreciate them the way I do, if not, they are going in a plot next to me!! (just kidding)

I run touring cars and I have a WW2 and Dirt Thrasher to kick around. It would kill me to crack up one of my Vintage display pieces. Once in a while I'll sneak a test drive on the carpet with one of my oldies.

If you are collecting as an enthusist, do what ever you want. If you are buying to sell many years down the road, don't crack that plastic!!

Best of luck,

Fazal.

I dont think there is a "length" that this topic could go to.

Everyone has different ideas - and it is great to hear them all - perhaps it will help others to understand why we do the things we do.

It takes all types.

The most important thing for everyone to remember is that these are toy carsid="red">that we are talking about. People should not take it so seriously.

One thing is for sure : if people are collecting cars for investment purposes - I would advise that there are MUCH better ways to make money.[:D]

Cheers

Darryn

What sort of world would this be without NIB's !!!!!!!!!!

They just *DONT* package tamiya kits the way they used to [:(][:(]

All together now....

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

[:D]

quote:Originally posted by bigwig_boy

What sort of world would this be without NIB's !!!!!!!!!!

They just *DONT* package tamiya kits the way they used to [:(][:(]

All together now....

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

We want blister packs!!!

[:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

Blister packs for what? To house all of the plastic pieces? The old kits had parts worth showing off. When I recently built my Porsche GT2 I was thinking about how cheap it was packaged. You get a bunch of bags and a color postcard thrown in a box. I think my Blitzer beetle is one of the last kits to use blister packs. It's a small one that has the motor, speed control, front uprights and a few other nonmemorable parts. Tamiya needs to start producing a kit worthy of blister packs.

BTW I do like the presentation of the Tank kits. they go all out but for $600 a pop, they should.

Jim

I remember being quite excited by the thought of my re-release Lancia Rally arriving - and admiring it...........wow - what a bummer.........Shodog is right - there certainly isnt much worth cheering about in the current crop of CAR kits.....[:(]

The Tanks are simply beautiful.[:P][:P][:X]

Cheers

Darryn

I think a good idea would be to include a poster of each car in each kit, and also include a small postcard with the car on it. That would make a nice edition. Maybe even a CD manual as well as the paper manual. I mean CD's cost what, pennies, poster about £1, postcard about £1, I'm sure Tamiya can spare £3-£5 to add free to the kits, I mean most of their kits are way overpriced anyways.

Thanx

Jimbo

B)

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy_GT-R

I'm sure Tamiya can spare £3-£5 to add free to the kits, I mean most of their kits are way overpriced anyways.

id="quote">id="quote">

I think that some of their kits are over priced but the TL-01 series I think is a bargain. My LHS sells most TL-01 based kits between $68-$80. you would be hard put to buys a set of tires and a body for that price. If the kits is overpriced, it is generally you LHS trying to make a bit more profit.

Jim

Here in the Uk almost all TL01 cars are around £85-£100($130-$160), the Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 is £124.50($200), Its a rip of here in the UK. All hobby shops are the same price. An example is I called Tamiya UK up to order a new FS12 LT nitro engine(when I first got my car) and they quoted me £139.50. Thats just crazy I could get a top of the range .12 Novarossi engine for less, and the rossi is sooooo much better. And its not all tax and VAT over here, I mean other cars are the same price as the TL01 from HPi, Yokomo etc and they are competition cars. unfortunaetly if Tamiyas prices don't go down I may go away from them and try something else. A Kyosho V One R will set me back just £220 fully kitted out, from my local hobby shop.

Thanx

Jimbo

B)

quote:Originally posted by darryn1

...wow - what a bummer.........Shodog is right - there certainly isnt much worth cheering about in the current crop of CAR kits.....[:(]

id="quote">id="quote">

Those blister packs are a real pain to open imho.

Just makes the "to build or not to build" question a lot easier!! [;)]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy_GT-R

...I'm sure Tamiya can spare £3-£5 to add free to the kits, I mean most of their kits are way overpriced anyways.

id="quote">id="quote">

You're a bit behind the times Jimbo.. [:I]

Companies these days loathe expensing more per unit than they desperately have to, you won't catch even Ford putting $1 more equipment voluntarily into a new 1:1 $20k Taurus than what the majority of customers demand - let alone Tamiya on a $100 toy car kit.

Bear in mind there's HUGE markups between middlemen too, so Tamiya's "cost from factory FOB" is much lower that you think. Add $1 to the cost and it'll be $5 extra when it reaches the shelf; that's more than enough to push mum/dad to buy another brand for junior's first RC.