Percymon

Thunder Shot / Thunder Dragon / Fire Dragon / Terr Scorcher

used thunder dragon arrived today, which looks to be 95% complete - the body needs a tidy and some new decals but i'm thinking i should use it as a runner body and buy another for the shelf.

Looking through the manuals the only differences betwen the Thunder Drgaon and Thunder Shot seems to be the body shell itself and the orientation of the front body post (turned through 180').

similarly the Fire Dragon body seems to use the same moutning points , although both these use different shock towers to the Thunder cars

Is this correct ? I'd like to use either the ThunderShot or (less so on account of the different suspension set -ups) the Fire Dragon body as the selfer

Can someone confirm above differnces/likeness please

Thunder shot & dragon:

Tall, narrow rear shock mount

Single front shock

No rear stabilizer

Solid upper arm links

Dog bones all around

Fire dragon:

Wide shock mounts, f+r

front and rear stabilizer

solid upper arm links

four shocks

unsure about dogbone situation

Terra Scorcher:

Wide shock mounts

f+r stabilizer

ADJUSTABLE upper arm links

full ball bearing set

universal shafts front

white wheels

So clearly the Terra Scorcher was the king of these.

The Norwegian distributer strangely sold the Fire Dragon much later, after the Terra Scorcher was off the market, and then bundled it with a Dynatech 01R.

• Like 1

Given a Fire Dragon body might look a bit odd on the chassis i have (3 yellow shocks, not four red ones) , i'll go for the Thundershot body for the shelf and clean up the current Thunder Dragon one for trunning.

Thanks

Fire dragon has yellow shocks.

Red shocks would be hot shot II or super sabre.

Fire dragon has yellow shocks.

Red shocks would be hot shot II or super sabre.

I concur with the differences outlined above...

on a practical point these cars really were great fun to drive, with one down side.... they were very predictable! I unfortunatley [as a teenager] got bored with mine running it on Tarmac and so passed it onto a family member...

Hop it up, however, as i later learned and the transformation is great fun. I am not sure the gear boxes could handle brushless to be honest, but a hotter Brushed motor would definately add great fun.

well done on your purchase, i really hope Tamiya rerelease this rerelease again!!

• Like 1

I have a brushless 450 outrunner motor, 2600kV i think so i'm half tempted to try that, especially as the rotating motor can is chrome and red anodized.

Just ordered new bumper, new Thunder Shot body, decals and a set of wheels (got one set in store already)

Only question now is tyres - i think these car use an odd diameter so perhaps i'm stuck with the 50344 spikes ?

Tires are a goofy size, so I just used regular drive hexes and wheels/tires from the Gravel Hound. Cheap as chips and nobody likes them much so they're easy to snap up on fleabay.

2600kv should be perfect.

Just for a little thing I did based on the Tamiya motors:

Acto-Power: 3583KV

Dynatech 02H: 3472KV

Dynatech 01R: 3050KV

Technipower: 2819KV

GT-Tuned: 2638KV

Technigold: 2638KV

Sport Tuned: 2541KV

Technituned: 2388KV

Mabuchi standard 540: 2094KV (but some say they might be only 1600kv, depending on the model/make of the silvercan)

This list may or may not be accurate, I have based this on RPM numbers off the internet so if the sources are wrong, then my numbers are wrong.

But as you can see, the technigold is about 2600KV, so a motor of that capacity would be perfect.

My personal opinion is that the Dynatech 02H is the fastest motor possible to run in one of these, as it will make the car go crazy fast.

I used to have one in mine in years gone by, and it was pretty much too fast for the chassis, in my opinion.

So if you go with 2600kv that should be a bit more suited to the chassis.

• Like 1

Tires are a goofy size, so I just used regular drive hexes and wheels/tires from the Gravel Hound. Cheap as chips and nobody likes them much so they're easy to snap up on fleabay.

Well i have a full set of new Schumacher 2.2 spikes and foam inserts, and i have the gravel hound front rims. Whilst i've ordered the proper set of rims, i'e not yet ordered tyres so perhaps its time to pick up a set of rear star spoke gravel hound rims as a cheaper short term runner option.

Fire dragon:

Wide shock mounts, f+r

front and rear stabilizer

solid upper arm links

four shocks

unsure about dogbone situation

Fire Dragon only came with Front Stabiliser, Rear Stabilliser is/was an optional hop up part

James

2600kv should be perfect.

Just for a little thing I did based on the Tamiya motors:

Acto-Power: 3583KV

Dynatech 02H: 3472KV

Dynatech 01R: 3050KV

Technipower: 2819KV

GT-Tuned: 2638KV

Technigold: 2638KV

Sport Tuned: 2541KV

Technituned: 2388KV

Mabuchi standard 540: 2094KV (but some say they might be only 1600kv, depending on the model/make of the silvercan)

This list may or may not be accurate, I have based this on RPM numbers off the internet so if the sources are wrong, then my numbers are wrong.

But as you can see, the technigold is about 2600KV, so a motor of that capacity would be perfect.

My personal opinion is that the Dynatech 02H is the fastest motor possible to run in one of these, as it will make the car go crazy fast.

I used to have one in mine in years gone by, and it was pretty much too fast for the chassis, in my opinion.

So if you go with 2600kv that should be a bit more suited to the chassis.

Great post mate.

Fire Dragon only came with Front Stabiliser, Rear Stabilliser is/was an optional hop up part

Ok, but the re-re seems to have included a rear stabilizer?

Great post mate.

Thanks :( Did the calculations because I wanted to use brushless in my cars myself :)

Ok, but the re-re seems to have included a rear stabilizer?

I've got the re-re and it hasn't the rear stabiliser...

James

Original Thundershot and Thunder Dragon have different (weaker) front and rear hubs, updated in the re-re Thundershot

Original Thundershot has not got the extra webbing on the lower blue arms for extra strength, re-re is updated

Orig. and re-re Thunder shot and orig. Thunder Dragon have machine screws that help hold the front stabilizer in place (b4+6)

Terra scorcher and fire dragon have self tappers and additional 3mm washers instead

I think everything except the re-re fire dragon has fully threaded shafts (for steering arms)

The re-re fire dragon has threaded shafts at both ends only with smooth section in middle

There's slight variations between the models reg. bearings and e1+thrust washer

Stage 17 orig fire dragon vs stage 16 of terra scorcher

There's prob other minor differences that I don't remember off the top of my head now