Sign in to follow this  
ChrissyH

27 or 40 Mhz?

Hi could use some advice, new to all all this, so please excuse my ignorance, bought some used Acoms Techniplus radio gear off ebay, put batteries and crystals in the transmitter, all powered up ok, but no control over over any of my cars, After a little investigation all all was revealed. The new transmitter is 40 mhz, all my stuff is 27! I just assumed 27 was the standard, wasn't even aware 40 existed. So, why are there 2 frequency bands, what is best for cars, Guess I will just have to bung it back on ebay.

Nowadays most people buy 2.4ghz radios, nobody uses chrystals anymore.

2.4 is like wi-fi for pc, there's no chance of signal jamming, pretty much.

So you can run thousands of cars together, well, you could if you had the space <_<

A cheap 2.4ghz radio/receiver set can cost as little as £20 / $25 and upwards.

Many of the cheap 2.4ghz radios offer model memory, so you can have one transmitter, and ten receivers, then you can use the one radio for all your cars, just select the correct program memory.

SO I suggest you do follow your own suggestion, put it on ebay and get a nice 2.4ghz system :P

Nowadays most people buy 2.4ghz radios, nobody uses chrystals anymore.

2.4 is like wi-fi for pc, there's no chance of signal jamming, pretty much.

So you can run thousands of cars together, well, you could if you had the space <_<

A cheap 2.4ghz radio/receiver set can cost as little as £20 / $25 and upwards.

Many of the cheap 2.4ghz radios offer model memory, so you can have one transmitter, and ten receivers, then you can use the one radio for all your cars, just select the correct program memory.

SO I suggest you do follow your own suggestion, put it on ebay and get a nice 2.4ghz system :P

OK thanks for the advice, would I have t buy new receivers for all my cars too?

Well, there's one China radio called the FS-GT3B, it has model memory and is cheap. The receivers are $5 a piece <_< so it's not a big expense!

You can get it from Hobbyking.

nobody uses chrystals anymore.

Speak for yourself! <_<

I still use both 40Mhz and 27Mhz... 40Mhz is supposed to have less interference, but in practice I don't have a problem with either.

If you just need a 27Mhz transmitter, you can get them less than £10 eBay these days. If you've already got 27Mhz receivers in your cars that will work out a lot cheaper than buying a whole new system...

Speak for yourself! :P

I still use both 40Mhz and 27Mhz... 40Mhz is supposed to have less interference, but in practice I don't have a problem with either.

If you just need a 27Mhz transmitter, you can get them less than £10 eBay these days. If you've already got 27Mhz receivers in your cars that will work out a lot cheaper than buying a whole new system...

Yep that crossed my mind, think thats the way to go. when two of us are using the cars I will still need two transmitters anyway. Cheers for the advice. <_<

I still run loads of 27mhz AM radios because that's what I've got for receivers. They work fine. If I was just getting started, I'd go 2.4ghz. Since I have about 70 runners, I don't care how cheap the 2.4ghz gear is, it would cost a packet to retrofit, so for now I'm sticking with what I've got.