Sign in to follow this  
taliesin

CC-01 RC Damper steering upgrade

Having trouble finding a GPM set for a good price and I'm considering one from RC Damper. Are they any good?

I guess that is a big "NO" ? :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should rephrase and ask what brand of steering upgrades most members have used on their CC-01? I am aware of the GPM aluminum set and generally have heard good things about it. Are there other brands or other recommendations? I just don't want to buy bling rubbish, I want it to work!

I intend to buy the ball bearing & aluminum crank steering set, and also the aluminum servo mount, and perhaps even better upper and lower steering links/arms, but the last items seem fairly optional compared to the others.

In reference to the gpm steering kit. I got one fitted and it's a definate yes. But make sure you thread lock the screws. I found out the hard way.

You can make one yourself. That's what I did way before there was a kit and I've heard bad things about the GPM kit.

You can make one yourself. That's what I did way before there was a kit and I've heard bad things about the GPM kit.

minijosh!

I've found that the GPM kit works pretty well, provided that you use a liberal amount of the aforementioned thread lock. Since the main shaft is made of soft alloy you would never be able to get the bolts tight enough to prevent them from loosening. I'll admit it's a design flaw, but the thread lock really seems to fix it.

That's good to know. I'm not opposed to using threadlock if the kit is otherwise of good quality.

That's good to know. I'm not opposed to using threadlock if the kit is otherwise of good quality.

Surprisingly good quality; I've seen some real junk from gpm in the past, but this kit seems to defy that standard.

Surprisingly good quality; I've seen some real junk from gpm in the past, but this kit seems to defy that standard.

I just installed a set and found it was binding if I tightened the screws on the main shaft too tightly.

I did use thread lock, and we'll see how it goes. I also had to dremel the plastic skid because the kit brought the connecting turnbuckles into contact with it. Seems to work well now...

I just installed a set and found it was binding if I tightened the screws on the main shaft too tightly.

I did use thread lock, and we'll see how it goes. I also had to dremel the plastic skid because the kit brought the connecting turnbuckles into contact with it. Seems to work well now...

I found the same issue with the rod ends rubbing against the skid plate, but only when the suspension was fully extended. Even then it was such a modest amount of friction I decided to leave things as they were. I didn't experience any binding issues however I also didn't both going crazy with torquing down the screws. In your case I would consider adding a shim under the upper arm piece so you can get the screw tight enough for the threadlock to do its magic.

At least with the threadlock you are able to fix it. I still have the wiggle in my wheels from the plastic parts I think. Maybe I should start modding it like the gpm parts.